New Everton Stadium

I've got nothing against a safe standing area, I'm sure there will be plenty who will prefer it and get a standing ST. Not for me though, i'll stick to a seated area - not as young as I once was.

Croke Park (83,000 capacity) retained the famous Hill 16 Terrace and it is brilliant when full of 15,000 Dubs fans - quite intimidating for many opponents although it also works the other way making some actually raise their game to annoy them.

upload_2017-8-2_12-42-31.webp

....and what it looks like empty

upload_2017-8-2_12-41-40.webp

Looks out of place that terrace

The practical reason it is different from the other three sides is that there is an elevated mainline railway running right behind it.

It was decided to keep the Hill as a terrace - completely rebuilt to modern safety standards - for two main reasons:

1. The atmosphere generated when it is full especially when Dublin are playing - most GAA fans would have supported keeping the Hill as a terraced area and
2. The financial cost of closing and relocating the whole section of the railway.

Just watched that Copa90 video about WestHam's move and that got me thinking.
Of course Everton's situation is entirely different from Westham's, as will the stadium itself, but geographically speaking, there's bound to be a change in mindset.

I'm not from Liverpool so I wouldn't know, but do you lads reckon you'll feel a tad alienated having to travel to Bramley-Moore every other Weekend as opposed to Goodison Park ? Not having the same surrounding environment you've had ever since you can remember and so on..the pubs, the foodstands, the park, maybe even being farther from the pit.

Of course Everton's situation is entirely different from Westham's, as will the stadium itself, but geographically speaking, there's bound to be a change in mindset.

I'm not from Liverpool so I wouldn't know, but do you lads reckon you'll feel a tad alienated having to travel to Bramley-Moore every other Weekend as opposed to Goodison Park ? Not having the same surrounding environment you've had ever since you can remember and so on..the pubs, the foodstands, the park, maybe even being farther from the pit.
If it ever happens a little bit of sadness but overall no mate,and I would like as much distance as possible between ourselves and them.

I'm not from Liverpool so I wouldn't know, but do you lads reckon you'll feel a tad alienated having to travel to Branley-Moore every other Weekend as opposed to Goodison Park ? Not having the same surrounding environment you've had ever since you can remember and so on..the pubs, the foodstands, the park, maybe even being farther from the pit.

...I'm sure it'll be 'different' but there will be excitement not just with the new stadium but also with the new area. BM isn't that far from Goodison but it's situation on the river puts it apart. We've been brought up going to Goodison and we all have memories of specific games and being alongside dear family and friends, some of whom are no longer with us.

From my perspective the area around Goodison is no attraction to regulars or visitors. I had a kick around on the pitch a year ago and the players facilities are poor. The ground has its charm but it's time for change.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back