New Everton Stadium

I've seen pics of that one mate ( the 2-2 ). I just find that amazing, knowing I've been at matches of just 35k and it can be absolutely brutal volume wise, to have twice as many must have been some sight and far superior to nearly every stadium/team in the country I should imagine.
As a wee kid I had a ST in the Goodison road stand in what became the main stand. So from 1967-68 season to new build in started in 1969-70 I was up there. The size of the terrace underneath is clearly amazing and you could hear, almost feel the rumble of the crowd underneath you. Never stood on it though! Dad would only take me in the stand so I could see properly!!! And so he could too and not have to hold me. I am a grainy pixel in some of those photos of Royle scoring a dramatic winner against Wolves when he virtually dives on the ball to get it over the line!!!!
Sometimes even 55k can seem quiet but the noise at some of those 60k plus crowds or other big nights like clinching the league vs WBA in 1970, or the penalty shoot out versus moenchen gladbach in 1971, the Andy King Derby in 1978 were literally deafening. Ears ringing for hours afterwards.

It was wall to wall buses, like literally 10 46's parked up in spellow lane all waiting for the rush. There were still 100's of cars parked right up to Gwladys St. until they brought in the parking restrictions.
That was back of course when Buses were a public service and you could still get a scheduled bus (not a one off late night special) at 0020am on new years eve, not like now when the last bus is 5 oclock in the afternoon.
For night games if you were young nimble and quick ( which I was then) my trick was to make my way in the last 5mins to the back of the terrace by the big gates in Goodison place. When the final whistle blew, it was about turn and run like 'k to Walton church and get the limited stop 500 which sailed on and didn't stop until it got to town.
For the 67 Derby (7.30 Sat evening) with the screens at their place, the total attendance was 104,000, that was chaos, there just weren't enough buses, time and road space. We ended up doing a fast(ish) one in each pub jog all the way to town for 10.30 last orders in The Central (opp the station as was)...which, such was the business they were doing, they 'forgot' to call until 11.30

Happy days mate. My Gran lived in Rymer Grove off Luxmore and always saved a parking space for me Da' otherwise it was the 500 or 44D to Kirkby.

As a wee kid I had a ST in the Goodison road stand in what became the main stand. So from 1967-68 season to new build in started in 1969-70 I was up there. The size of the terrace underneath is clearly amazing and you could hear, almost feel the rumble of the crowd underneath you. Never stood on it though! Dad would only take me in the stand so I could see properly!!! And so he could too and not have to hold me. I am a grainy pixel in some of those photos of Royle scoring a dramatic winner against Wolves when he virtually dives on the ball to get it over the line!!!!
Sometimes even 55k can seem quiet but the noise at some of those 60k plus crowds or other big nights like clinching the league vs WBA in 1970, or the penalty shoot out versus moenchen gladbach in 1971, the Andy King Derby in 1978 were literally deafening. Ears ringing for hours afterwards.
I loved the old Goodison Road stand. As you say the terrace was magnificent. As impressive as the new main stand seemed it has never seemed as awe inspiring. Miss it.

I loved the old Goodison Road stand. As you say the terrace was magnificent. As impressive as the new main stand seemed it has never seemed as awe inspiring. Miss it.
The sheer height of it and the three tiers, standing plus two levels of seats was pretty imposing and ground breaking I think but those flipping pillars were a disaster from the word go!!!
Quite funny to see away fans agog at going up escalators though!!!!

It's been a lot quieter since you departed for the Gwladys Street allez mate;)lol

Many blues travel over back then Steve?must have been a right so and so getting to Milan in 1963!!
Took a couple of days...but we were young and foolish! No trouble at all with the Milan fans or anybody in those days. I can remember quite a few blues being there...and we saw a few other cars with blues en route. Heck of an experience for a 22 year old then..wouldn't attempt driving to London these days and I think twice about driving to Manchester. Great memories though.
When was it we beat Fulham 4-0(I think) to win the league at the time of Keith Newton? He used to appear on a quiz show called called Quiz Ball(?) in which the players took an easy question(route four) or a hard question(route one). Whenever Keith was about to clear from the left back position, some wag in the paddock would shout 'Take route four,Newton'
Talking of TV....when Danny Blanchflower was advertising Shredded Wheat in the early days of ITV, someone put a box of said cereal on the centre spot when we played Spurs!
I reckon we need a random memories thread!!!

Took a couple of days...but we were young and foolish! No trouble at all with the Milan fans or anybody in those days. I can remember quite a few blues being there...and we saw a few other cars with blues en route. Heck of an experience for a 22 year old then..wouldn't attempt driving to London these days and I think twice about driving to Manchester. Great memories though.
When was it we beat Fulham 4-0(I think) to win the league at the time of Keith Newton? He used to appear on a quiz show called called Quiz Ball(?) in which the players took an easy question(route four) or a hard question(route one). Whenever Keith was about to clear from the left back position, some wag in the paddock would shout 'Take route four,Newton'
Talking of TV....when Danny Blanchflower was advertising Shredded Wheat in the early days of ITV, someone put a box of said cereal on the centre spot when we played Spurs!
Deffo Stevelol

He only played 12 games in the league winning season and Fulham were not n the division at the time. Maybe Ipswich 3-0 in January 1970...?
That was a good quiz programme though!!!! David Vine the presenter?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back