Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

New Everton Stadium

I've read upwards of £7m a year made for LCC on top of the debt being repaid.

So an additional £7m a year on services for the people of Liverpool. If LCC are going to try and make money from investments, this seems as sensible as that policy can be. It also has lots of other direct benefits to the people of Liverpool beyond the money LCC will make.
Theoretically from a financial sense it's a deal that *makes sense*; politically it's inconceivable.

It's just plain daft to isolate this issue from real world passions and pressures.

I blame Joe Anderson above all, that fool thinks only of his own legacy and doesn't think things through or see the bigger picture. Rattling on wringing his hands at having to make hundreds of millions of pounds of cuts and then asking his same audience to swallow a private company getting a council loan of almost £300M.

Time for him, EFC and everyone else to get real.

Dave, can you please explain what it is you are concerned about in the proposed deal? Genuine question, and not saying you have no right to be concerned, I am just trying to see it from the other point of view. It seems to me that concerns are based on catastrophic (and to be honest - unrealistic) events happening to the Football Club.
We were in the relegation zone two months ago...

True, true.

I think I'm most shocked that they have that much to lend us out of pocket?

Maybe they will finance some of it themselves.

It's not exactly out of their pockets.

They have access to loans and rates that we don't. They can't lend money for social care and other needy causes but they can for business deals as they make money back on them - money that will go eventually go into funding social care and the likes.

They lend the money, help us finance our move without ever touching money from already depleted budgets, make money from us over time to then bolster those budgets.

Win win all around.

It's just that people are taking the line of 'Liverpool Mayor and Everton fan Joe Anderson raids city coffers to build stadium as homelessness rates sky rocket,' as if it's your side of the Atlantic and we're threatening to move the team if we don't get our way.

They're wrong but it's funny to watch them fume and not listen to reason so we may as well let them carry on.

True, true.

I think I'm most shocked that they have that much to lend us out of pocket?

Maybe they will finance some of it themselves.
No, they will borrow all of it. For example, they borrow £100 and are charged £2 interest, they then lend Everton £100 and charge Everton £5 interest, a net profit of £3 for doing chuff all, and money they wouldn't otherwise have had. If Everton would have gone down other channels, they would have had to borrow the £100 and pay £6 interest. Everyone is a winner apart from the koppites who will cry into their Fjords.

It's not exactly out of their pockets.

They have access to loans and rates that we don't. They can't lend money for social care and other needy causes but they can for business deals as they make money back on them - money that will go eventually go into funding social care and the likes.

They lend the money, help us finance our move without ever touching money from already depleted budgets, make money from us over time to then bolster those budgets.

Win win all around.

It's just that people are taking the line of 'Liverpool Mayor and Everton fan Joe Anderson raids city coffers to build stadium as homelessness rates sky rocket,' as if it's your side of the Atlantic and we're threatening to move the team if we don't get our way.

They're wrong but it's funny to watch them fume and not listen to reason so we may as well let them carry on.
I just can't see what's changed between this and the SPV that was announced then if it will just be the council securing financing and then borrowing to us. Is Anderson just saying some of the money will come from city accounts for redevelopment but not social services budgets?

Don't get me started on this side of the water C. The Ottawa Senators want a new stadium paid for by the city and their "old one" is only about 25 years old. As you can imagine I am not in favour of that one.

No, they will borrow all of it. For example, they borrow £100 and are charged £2 interest, they then lend Everton £100 and charge Everton £5 interest, a net profit of £3 for doing chuff all, and money they wouldn't otherwise have had. If Everton would have gone down other channels, they would have had to borrow the £100 and pay £6 interest. Everyone is a winner apart from the koppites who will cry into their Fjords.
Right so essentially nothing has changed from the SPV deal published months ago?

My counter argument to that is that we haven't been relegated for 63 years. We have had far worse teams than this, with far less resources available to us and no TV money either.
It's a risk so great there's no takers from private investors thus far and it falls to the council to loan the club money.

It's a bum prospect. It's fraught with logistical, planning and political difficulties.

This cant last much longer, imo. We'll see a line drawn through this in the coming months.

I just can't see what's changed between this and the SPV that was announced then if it will just be the council securing financing and then borrowing to us. Is Anderson just saying some of the money will come from city accounts for redevelopment but not social services budgets?

Don't get me started on this side of the water C. The Ottawa Senators want a new stadium paid for by the city and their "old one" is only about 25 years old. As you can imagine I am not in favour of that one.

No money coming directly from city accounts J, it's basically the SPV but that such branding has seemingly fallen to the wayside.

And aye, not great that one with the Sens. Well in the Isles for securing a privately financed arena in Belmont. Shame they'll be garbage by then. #FireGarthSnow

Right so essentially nothing has changed from the SPV deal published months ago?
dunno, there may be technical differences between being a guarantor for a loan if it goes wrong and physically arranging the loan and re-loaning it. There probably is but it will be to do with government policies on capital spending (ie to encourage councils to spend on capital and infrastructure they will loan at a cheaper rate.)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back