Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

New Everton Stadium

Agreed.

But for it to go from one plan to another it suggests there was a reason for that and the reason - it would be obvious to conclude - is that there's not enough interest from private investors in this project to make a dent in financing the stadium.

Or, both parties realised it would mutually beneficial if LCC loaned the money and then loaned it to Everton.

I'm not going to conclude anything and nor should you. We just don't know.

Does it sound from what's been said by the club like we have investors taking this opportunity up?

No idea. Thing is, regardless of how rich you are you'd always go for the cheapest option. That's what this is. Who knows? If this plan goes tits up, Moshiri might take a more traditional route to secure a loan.

After initial euphoria and after reading plenty on the subject I am starting to get a bit twitchy about the whole deal/project. I am not in the happy clappy everyones a winner camp nor am in daveks just pull the plug now camp but can see both sides. We must remember that we in here are football anoraks but there are plenty of people in Liverpool who don't care about football and would just see a risk to the council for something that will definitely benefit Liverpool but at what cost to them or their childrens future ?

I have lived in Liverpool all my life and have seen the state of our councils over the years which does not fill me with much confidence that they can deliver this, then add Brexit, interest rates d(efinitely on the up), complexity of build, rising costs, council opposition, council tax payers protesting, etc. Another thing is what has Steve Rotherham had to say ? I know Fat Joe had his nose put out by Steve winning the metro mayor and refuses to attend meetings with him (sadly typical of this oaf) but I assume he is for it as he has not come out against it. Could be a very useful ally in this going forward as Joe has I think 2 years left.

I'm confused. Some of you think we are looking for public financing because we couldn't get private financing? A little backwards there, don't you think? And some of you actually think there would be minimal interest in a government secured debt? I take it there aren't a lot of commercial bankers in this thread.

Why would the club tell us about investors?
Why would they not?

The fact that the club are reliant on the council to now directly provide two-thirds of the funding and that they also declare that the remainder would need still to be found suggests they have had very little interest.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. What is it you are saying? As I understand it, by year 5, LCC would have amassed £35m for them to spend as they see fit.

you have been quite vocal in support of this scheme almost from an ITK point of view, what is your current stance on progress as you see it mate?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. What is it you are saying? As I understand it, by year 5, LCC would have amassed £35m for them to spend as they see fit.

Excellent ! And can you tell us how you came across those figures, as I would have thought the terms of the loan would not be in the public domain
or can you not reveal your sources?

At current rates of spending on the squad, servicing a debt to the tune of £15M per year represents about half our net spend. The point where we could see a tipping point in our favour from debt repayment to cash spinning operations would be a long time after 2022/23 that's for sure.

There's no way debt repayment wouldn't severely impact team quality.

It was a great idea to go for BMD. But we are not the club to see it to fruition. We cant carry that burden. That's something I've been concerned about for a while: that there's no commercial partner and that costs are going to go up and we'd be left with a very long period to pay off the debt, and that allows for the maximum amount of time-exposure to default.

The courageous thing to do now is to walk away.

Stay at GP, is that it. Then what do we do for next heavens knows how many years. No way can GP be enlarged to get to the level of gate that you and others have been arguing for - 60,000.

Typical of you Dave state something but not were it will lead to.

No idea. Thing is, regardless of how rich you are you'd always go for the cheapest option. That's what this is. Who knows? If this plan goes tits up, Moshiri might take a more traditional route to secure a loan.
But that wasn't the first option. The first option was to have the council set up a SPV to encourage private investors. Plan A was to effectively say to nervous potential investors "look, this is a belt and braces job here, you simply cant lose because the council stands behind this". To move onto Plan B underscores that those overtures to private investors were rebuffed....it's not an option for us anymore.

Stay at GP, is that it. Then what do we do for next heavens knows how many years. No way can GP be enlarged to get to the level of gate that you and others have arguing for - 60,000.

Typical of you Dave state something but not were it will lead to.
I state nothing of the kind. I simply advocate we cut our losses here and think again. That could be a GP refurbishment (which can be done - despite that idiot CEO's words on the matter), or to find another site with a commercial partner to soften the blow of paying for it.

I state nothing of the kind. I simply advocate we cut our losses here and think again. That could be a GP refurbishment (which can be done - despite that idiot CEO's words on the matter), or to find another site with a commercial partner to soften the blow of paying for it.

As I aid Dave no way can GP be enlarged to the accommodate the gate stated. What would you like Everton to do, buy GS and screw the residents like our neighbours? How do you think you could get away with PP, think of all the objections. Bearing this in mind how can we play in a ground that is going to need so much work? I get it, you want us to play at Anfield.

As for another site like the alternative that was in no where land and a commercial partner? Oh Tesco again is that it. So Dave where is there a suitable alternative site to BMD, put your money where your typing is. See Dave you come out with this crap with out thinking it through.

You dislike Mosh, why? Oh he has not chucked billions into the club is that? He has not got that kind of cash for heavens sake. If he had not come in to our club where would we be right now under BK? There was no one else around to get into our club.

But that wasn't the first option. The first option was to have the council set up a SPV to encourage private investors. Plan A was to effectively say to nervous potential investors "look, this is a belt and braces job here, you simply cant lose because the council stands behind this". To move onto Plan B underscores that those overtures to private investors were rebuffed....it's not an option for us anymore.

Or it's a better deal and cheaper. Maybe I really don't understand capital markets in England, but why would anyone balk at a council backed debt instrument? And why would a council delivered instrument be LESS advantageous to the club? I'm sorry, but your logic from a financial standpoint seems completely backwards.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back