New Everton Stadium

Well I will not pretend to be an expert on UNESCO WHS sites and the benefits therein to a city or a site, (Stonehenge isnt a city, pretty sure its a WHS though)
My amateur understanding is they are in place to protect said sites from being demolished/built on, etc etc. Not a clue if they get cash from UNESCO in return. Preservation if you like. So, it comes back to the old record; what, exactly does Liverpool gain from a wasteland having WHS status? If its billions in tourism/cash, then sound.
And the flip side is, what, exactly does Liverpool gain from the redevelopment of said wasteland? If its more, in ££££, I think LCC would be in dereliction of their duty to the city to hang onto their certificate
They were in dereliction of their duty razing to the ground a whole district of the city to accommodate a stadium build. The argument that the same people only have the people of the city in mind by building another one is for the birds. These people are shysters. One other thing they are though is politicians, and if there's a price to be paid over this they'll think twice.

As said, I think LCC will very reluctantly lose the WHS status and will try at all costs to keep it.

They were in dereliction of their duty razing to the ground a whole district of the city to accommodate a stadium build. The argument that the same people only have the people of the city in mind by building another one is for the birds. These people are shysters. One other thing they are though is politicians, and if there's a price to be paid over this they'll think twice.

As said, I think LCC will very reluctantly lose the WHS status and will try at all costs to keep it.

Oh sure. They are not shining examples of anything really. Its why they will happily accept losing, (to me), a worthless if well intentioned, certificate to see cash roll in.

Oh sure. They are not shining examples of anything really. Its why they will happily accept losing, (to me), a worthless if well intentioned, certificate to see cash roll in.
Maybe. I take your point in another post about wriggle room under what UNESCO formerly stated. However, I do wonder how much a football stadium - even within height specifications they could live with - would be seen as appropriate to the heritage of the docks. Not very I suspect.

This debate is one we'll see a lot of - not just with UNESCO but other conservation organisations and the inevitable private objections that will come. The effect? To push this down the road in terms of starting it and making the thing prohibitive. I think that's the real issue here.

Maybe. I take your point in another post about wriggle room under what UNESCO formerly stated. However, I do wonder how much a football stadium - even within height specifications they could live with - would be seen as appropriate to the heritage of the docks. Not very I suspect.

This debate is one we'll see a lot of - not just with UNESCO but other conservation organisations and the inevitable private objections that will come. The effect? To push this down the road in terms of starting it and making the thing prohibitive. I think that's the real issue here.

All of this will have been dusted off months ago mate. Not in public, obvs. Lets see what happens in a few weeks time at this meeting.

I am led to believe we might be nicely surprised.

I get your point about a football stadium not being exactly condusive to a WHS dock site. But you could argue, quite well I reckon, that the docks cemented Liverpool as the city it is. So now they are largely spent, why not use them to help cement the city's futures again.

(Should still be in sales flogging these things me ffs)

There is a logical basis.

We have, as you say, a ST waiting list. That is for a stadium with the poorest facilities in the league. Very often the only spare seats at GP are for single, obstructed views and they still sell so imagine a decent view, first rate facilities and the chance to buy ticket(s) next to family or friends. Then there is the new stadium bounce that every single club that has moved grounds has experienced. Add in the most accessible stadium in our history within walking distance of town, with a dedicated Merseyrail station and city centre connections.

Let's be pessimistic. 40k now plus half the ST waiting list and we're at 44k. Add in an additional 3k (low estimate corp) we're at 47k. Let's say 3k turn up just cos it's dead easy to get to the ground and you're at 50k without barely trying. Those estimates are all low ones and we haven't even talked about decent pricing structures and the usual new stadium bounce (which is quite large on average if I recall).

Add in the history we have of 60k+ and even 70k+ we should never be settling for 50k. It serves zero purpose.
It will only be less than 60k if we cant get planning permission for more.

All of this will have been dusted off months ago mate. Not in public, obvs. Lets see what happens in a few weeks time at this meeting.

I am led to believe we might be nicely surprised.

I get your point about a football stadium not being exactly condusive to a WHS dock site. But you could argue, quite well I reckon, that the docks cemented Liverpool as the city it is. So now they are largely spent, why not use them to help cement the city's futures again.

(Should still be in sales flogging these things me ffs)
"Dusted off months ago...everything in place".

That sounds like the least Everton thing of all time.

I remain highly sceptical based on experience.

"Dusted off months ago...everything in place".

That sounds like the least Everton thing of all time.

I remain highly sceptical based on experience.

I know you do. So would I if this was the old ownership.

But it isnt. The rewards are too big, for the city, and other interested parties, for this to be kite flying.

I, and others, stumbled on the possible/likely/nailed on (delete at will) narrative a while ago. Absolutely nothing has happened to dissuade me from it. The opposite in fact.

Last warning over the high rise builds. I'd say they were drawing the line at that and any more inappropriate development of the docks would result in the rescinding of WHS.

The Liver Building stands at over 90m, by comparison the RS's new stand is 55m, we won't have anything even remotely close to that in height, so our stadium will not be the cause if UNESCO decide to take away the WHS tag.

The Liver Building stands at over 90m, by comparison the RS's new stand is 55m, we won't have anything even remotely close to that in height, so our stadium will not be the cause if UNESCO decide to take away the WHS tag.

It will also be a mile away for heavens sake and, and dwarfed by the old ware houses around there one of which is the Titanic hotel. Are those old ware houses listed monuments??

We've sold out every weekend league game for 3 seasons. We've only not sold out Leicester and West Ham on Wednesday nights this year. We sold them all out last year. They told me there was over 9000 on the ST waiting list for this season. Plus a new stadium inevitably increases interest. 60k should be the figure, 57k the bare minimum.

I know you do. So would I if this was the old ownership.

But it isnt. The rewards are too big, for the city, and other interested parties, for this to be kite flying.

I, and others, stumbled on the possible/likely/nailed on (delete at will) narrative a while ago. Absolutely nothing has happened to dissuade me from it. The opposite in fact.
Tbf, the present owner comes across as a gormless tit. I have as much failth in him as I did in Kenwright.

I said earlier, I am in no way arguing that these people are being fair or reasonable. What I'm saying is that their WHS they hold over the council seems to be a powerful bargaining chip. I doubt even Anderson wants to lose that status so we're looking at some sort of fudge deal and that could take time.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back