New Everton Stadium

Combination of many things really. One of which was that section was poorly designed with pens that didn't allow for dispersal or sideways movement. Through experience we always went to the sides prior to 89 as there was more room.

In contrast all of the Goodison terraces allowed free movement.
Spot on. In all the years I was going to Hillsborough in the away end I could never find a way to the relatively empty corners of the terracing. Everything pointed to just going through the tunnel. And once in, the fencing meant that you couldn't move laterally.

How dare you even suggest I am one of that sick crowd, I have been watching Everton since '61, where were you ? I will say again it has nothing to do with the CT or the homeless. Same argument in my post about potholes or if you like read what you put in your post about feeding and housing. You really are missing the point about all this.

Again what has it do with CT etc?
I think the poster meant that by telling the RS to keep paying their council tax so we could build a new stadium was a way of winding the RS up

Spot on. In all the years I was going to Hillsborough in the away end I could never find a way to the relatively empty corners of the terracing. Everything pointed to just going through the tunnel. And once in, the fencing meant that you couldn't move laterally.

I remember going in 85 we were in the middle and it was uncomfortable yet the right hand side was relatively empty. Cos I was only 11 we decided to go out and find the way into the side bit which we did. If you watch those Southall saves the sides are half full.

Looking back with hindsight it seems inevitable something was going to happen there. Only years later did I ever hear about the issues with the Tottenham v Wolves game a few years earlier.

It wasnt even the fences, it was the Police failing to do their job correctly and allowing 000s of people to enter the stadium at the same time, some of which didnt even have a ticket.
Very true mate, my point was though, without the fences people would have fairly harmlessly overspilled onto the pitch. In hindsight fences were pretty barbaric. Now they've gone, I see no reason why rail seating shouldn't be introduced. If anything I'd say it's even safer than having seats, especially at aways where everyone stands anyway,I've lost count of the amount of times I've hurt myself tumblig a row or 3 forward celebrating a goal (not lately mind...)

Many Conservatives still have the mindset that football fans are thugs. I doubt the Sports Minister even had a cursory look or had any intention of taking it seriously.

What is actually stopping any club that's building a new ground (Everton / Spurs etc) installing rail seating in a section of the new ground? As long as they are fixed in the seat position (as they would be for UEFA games at present), would that not be classed as a 'seat'? What actually constitutes a 'seat' in the eyes of the UK government legislation? Does anyone know? It could be a way of future proofing sections of the new ground for if / when the law changes?

What is actually stopping any club that's building a new ground (Everton / Spurs etc) installing rail seating in a section of the new ground? As long as they are fixed in the seat position (as they would be for UEFA games at present), would that not be classed as a 'seat'? What actually constitutes a 'seat' in the eyes of the UK government legislation? Does anyone know? It could be a way of future proofing sections of the new ground for if / when the law changes?

Building Regs most likely. They are unswervable.

I know cos we tried.

It's not completely clear (we'll find out soon as seats are going in as we speak), but that may be exactly what is happening at New WHL. The season ticket booklet for the new stadium says:

The front of the South Stand has been future-proofed for Safe Standing. If legislation changes, this will become a standing area so please bear this in mind if choosing a seat here. The integral safety bar is 900mm high – approximately the shoulder height of the supporter sitting in front. This will not impact on sightlines for adults, however it is not an area that is deemed suitable for children and as such, Junior concessions do not apply here.

It's not clear from this if the bars will be there from the start, of if it's just an indication that they might be installed in future and something to bear in mind.

As I said though, it won't be long till we find out exactly what's being installed there.

Last edited:

Yeah but it must be defined somewhere what actually constitutes a seat surely? If for example it states that they must be able to fold up and down during the game, then obviously rail seating fixed to 'seat mode' wouldn't be allowed

Thats the point. Building Regs will state EXACTLY what a seat has to be like to be allowed to be a seat in a stadium. Apart from the colour most likely.

I remember having to use certain length nails and bolts to be used in different parts of our build. What EU approved insulation to get, literally, every facet of even a modest extension is ruled by the rulez in the regs.

It's not completely clear (we'll find out soon as seats are going in as we speak), but that may be exactly what is happening at New WHL. The season ticket booklet for the new stadium says:

The front of the South Stand has been future-proofed for Safe Standing. If legislation changes, this will become a standing area so please bear this in mind if choosing a seat here. The integral safety bar is 900mm high – approximately the shoulder height of the supporter sitting in front. This will not impact on sightlines for adults, however it is not an area that is deemed suitable for children and as such, Junior concessions do not apply here.

It's not clear from this if the bars will be there from the start, of if it's just an indication that they might be installed in future and something to bear in mind.

As I said though, it won't be long till we find out exactly what's being installed there.
Deffo sounds like that's what the plan is for that section then. Interesting.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back