New Everton Stadium

This is the third time in 16 months we've seen a shift in the proposed funding model.

That doesn't sound right AT ALL.

That in itself doesn't mean it's not happening though, does it? I didn't follow either Arsenal or Tottenham's ground moves that closely, but I seem to rememeber they were more long and drawn out affairs than their supporters would have liked. Until we hear anything from the club, why think it's off?

I agree Dave, they should have just rang up Wonga, I mean whats the point in shopping around for the best deal?

Agreed. Why shop around at all? I think the best way of funding a multi million pound scheme is to get all of those fliers from the Sunday papers offering a loan at exorbitant rates, pin them up above the mantlepiece, blindfold yourself then throw a dart at the wall from the serving hatch in the kitchen. Works for me every time.

That in itself doesn't mean it's not happening though, does it? I didn't follow either Arsenal or Tottenham's ground moves that closely, but I seem to rememeber they were more long and drawn out affairs than their supporters would have liked. Until we hear anything from the club, why think it's off?

Plans for the project were first announced in 2008 and a planning application submitted in 2009.

Spurs took 10 years
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northumberland_Development_Project

In 1997, Arsenal explored the possibility of relocating to a new stadium, having been denied planning permission by Islington Council to expand its home ground of Highbury.

Arsenal took 9 years
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirates_Stadium

I hope the council aren't wobbling on this. There is no way we'll get a better rate of interest on the commercial market than what they are offering. Even the combination option worries me a bit as, from what one poster said above about commercial rates, it sounds like we could be on the hook for £40-50m per year in repayments. Thats nearly 30% of our revenue according to the figures in the Guardian this week (with wages taking up 61%). If TV money plateaus, which it looks like it has done domestically, that could be another issue.

Obviously increased gates, hospitality, naming rights and other events will put a decent dent in that but whats that going to leave us to spend on players? With gates providing less of the % of total revenue therse, dwarfed by TV money and sponsorships, I can see why the board are doing some proper due diligence.

There's no doubt we need a new stadium but not at the risk of the long term future of the club, I'd be happy if we started to explore a more 'cheap and cheerful' option. An iconic stadium would be great but I'd rather spend the money on the team.

I hope the council aren't wobbling on this. There is no way we'll get a better rate of interest on the commercial market than what they are offering. Even the combination option worries me a bit as, from what one poster said above about commercial rates, it sounds like we could be on the hook for £40-50m per year in repayments. Thats nearly 30% of our revenue according to the figures in the Guardian this week (with wages taking up 61%). If TV money plateaus, which it looks like it has done domestically, that could be another issue.

Obviously increased gates, hospitality, naming rights and other events will put a decent dent in that but whats that going to leave us to spend on players? With gates providing less of the % of total revenue therse, dwarfed by TV money and sponsorships, I can see why the board are doing some proper due diligence.

There's no doubt we need a new stadium but not at the risk of the long term future of the club, I'd be happy if we started to explore a more 'cheap and cheerful' option. An iconic stadium would be great but I'd rather spend the money on the team.
What's a cheap and cheerful stadium?

What's a cheap and cheerful stadium?

One that doesnt cost £500m but still gets more people through the door, of the big-money corporate hospitailty, so the club generates more money for the team. Naming rights may be slightly lower but still more than we get now.

This is the third time in 16 months we've seen a shift in the proposed funding model.

That doesn't sound right AT ALL.

How is it Dave no matter if it is the stadium you always seek out bad, negative views apparently to suit your perennial negative view of our club. Your perverse pleasure in doing that as we all note extends to Manager, DoF, Owners, players, cladding on GP, the club names it you dislike it!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back