New Everton Stadium

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what's the big deal about 55,000 vs 60,000? I understand the allure of a bigger stadium, however, are gates still a major source of income for EPL teams? In American sports it's all about TV, and corporate boxes.

Is having 5k or 10,000 less seats really dooming us to the fate of a small club? Again, I get the appeal of having greater attendance. I just don't think it's really that important regarding what clubs generate in revenue going forward. Gate money is a thing of the past in terms of importance in my opinion.
Which is a sad, sad state we don't want to fall into. That way lies manufactured brand clubs by the media.
Oh wait....too late.

The more seats... the more opportunity for the fanbase to grow. Speculate to eventually and hopefully accumulate. Much harder to build when a roof is put on. 58,000 IMO.

If we could switch into a new stadium in ten or fifteen years time or even increase the size of our new stadium then capacity would not be such an issue.
But, we could easily face a situation where in a decade we have outgrown a new stadium.

The more seats... the more opportunity for the fanbase to grow. Speculate to eventually and hopefully accumulate. Much harder to build when a roof is put on. 58,000 IMO.

.... Between the avatar with that awful jersey and the speculate to accumulate line. I'm not sure whether you're trying to get people going or just lack self awareness.

If we could switch into a new stadium in ten or fifteen years time or even increase the size of our new stadium then capacity would not be such an issue.
But, we could easily face a situation where in a decade we have outgrown a new stadium.
What like Man City have ? Where are these additional fans coming from ? We don't want tourist fans do we ? OOTers ? Wools ? City have poured money into the club/stadium/training ground etc. and don't sell out against Barcelona, the money comes from TV, they pay us fans lip service like a docile pet dog.
We are not getting more than 50k and I think the small amount of info released points to this. This just has the feel of it drifting, waiting, reporting, partnering all the usual BS phrases except the important ones.

Nail on head there. We need to make sure we have as many young fans attending as possible. That will be easier with a bigger capacity.

This theory makes absolutely no sense.
More seats does not equate to growing a fan base. Which half of the posters on here don't seem to have any interest in doing any how.

What like Man City have ? Where are these additional fans coming from ? We don't want tourist fans do we ? OOTers ? Wools ? City have poured money into the club/stadium/training ground etc. and don't sell out against Barcelona, the money comes from TV, they pay us fans lip service like a docile pet dog.
We are not getting more than 50k and I think the small amount of info released points to this. This just has the feel of it drifting, waiting, reporting, partnering all the usual BS phrases except the important ones.
We are filling an antiquated stadium every week which has restricted views and the most basic facilities available. Success on the field(hopefully) and an improved match day experience could easily see our match day crowd rise to 50k within a year or two never mind 20years.

I am from Cork and follow Cork hurlers religiously. Cork GAA opened a new stadium last Autumn and I have been there already several times.(capacity about 45k ). It is clear the extra money that is being generated by this new stadium from catering, meetings etc and I believe we see people going to games there because of the improved experience, my wife being one of them.

Bizarre?
Couldn't even sell out a EL game when we were at home and the team needed our support.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42085410

I was there that night and the "support" was atrocious. No point in kidding ourselves. 40K is the aim, 50K and the stadium will have the same useless atmosphere as Arsenal's.

Let's pretend for a moment that you are an Evertonian, and will be on here longer than a few days after you get bored...

What tends to happen when a club is considering what Capacity to have at their new ground is that they look at how ticket sales have been in recent times, and what the potential is from their fanbase as well as various other things. Given that we have been selling out our 39K Stadium for 2 seasons running now, quite often selling a further 1,200+ seats that most away clubs can't sell, that would indicate that a considerably bigger Capacity is needed than 39K. So 40K is not what will be built which you know.

Despite what a certain set of supporters like to imply, Everton are, and always have been one of the best supported clubs in the country regardless of how the team is performing on the pitch.
  • When Everton were at their height, the club achieved 78K crowds, only bettered by 3 other English clubs at an actual club ground. 17K better than what our neighbours have ever achieved.
  • Everton are in a select group of clubs that have averaged over 51K in a season. Clubs like Man City and Liverpool have only achieved this since moving/expanding their Stadium
  • When Everton were relegated, the club got an average crowd of 44K whilst in the 2nd tier of English Football.
  • Despite not winning a trophy for 23 years, and having thousands of obstructed views, our support continues to turn up week in week out with constant sell out crowds.
  • We are one of a handful of clubs that sell out almost all away allocations every season, despite only achieving 4-5 away wins at best for the majority of our seasons in the last 20+ years.
Things like meaningless Europa League games when we were already out of the competition can be used as a stick to beat us with, but this logic is easily dismissed when noting that Spurs who have been a top 4 side for a number of years now, only managed a crowd of 23K against Barnsley in the League cup yet averaged 68K in the league.

I'd be interested to hear a reasoned counter argument but I doubt you'll bother.

Look mate, I'm not a "kopite".
I'm a realist. I'm 40 years old this year and I've seen enough to know when something is BS. Moshiri is a crook. Big time. Mark my words, I'll be proved correct. If he was as rich as he makes out then why are the council needed for the stadium? The "deal" with the council is as fishy as they get from what I've seen so far. Nothing has changed my mind on that.

The investment on the team hasn't been great either. It was just the Lukaku money and TV money spent. None of Moshiri's.

I'll stick by my own opinions thanks. I don't care if they are not popular or people call me a kopite cos I don't toe the line.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. In my teens I saw the great team of the 80s and remember when we were among the 3 biggest clubs in the land (Liverpool and a well funded but failing Man U) Your posts suggest that we just accept the status quo and carry on trying our best against the teams with more resources. Spurs aren't accepting that, hence their ambitious stadium plans and excellent progress on the field of play over the last 5 years or so. Nor should Everton throw in the white towel.

Moshiri might be a fraud - you could be right - but at the moment he (and his associates) are the only hope we have got of building a new Goodison and getting back to the top. It's time we all showed a little more faith in the club and Board. If it goes tits up this time then they are fair game, but why don't we all wait and see first?

This theory makes absolutely no sense.
More seats does not equate to growing a fan base. Which half of the posters on here don't seem to have any interest in doing any how.

It makes total sense because it means we can sell more cheap seats to younger people. Why can we do that? Because we have more seats to sell ie a bigger capacity. Catch them young.

It would be interesting to know the limitations of the site size-wise and if that really is restricting why the design doesn't seem to incorporate overhanging stands to compensate.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back