New Everton Stadium

Some strange statements here. Why are size and atmosphere incompatible? The old GP held up to 78,000 and in later decades still held over 60,000, without ever averaging more than than around the 50,000 mark. Don't recall Goodison ever being described as a library then. Also why would design principles necessarily be compromised by a bigger capacity?
How it looks to me is that financial and infrastructural restrictions have been at play, not optimal capacity considerations.
78K with standing room only, different times.

I think they did take the capacity-atmosphere into account with the design. That seems pretty clear.
Like the lower roofs, like no one being that far away, being connected to everything else
the further you go back, the higher you go, the less intimacy.
that def has something to do with atmosphere.

I think a poll needs to be taken -

I want an increase in capacity bc:
1) makes it easier to get season or match day tickets
2) bigger is simply better
3) I have an inferiority complex

Yeah. Seen him mention Juventus to justify the low capacity, too.

There is just no comparison between the Premier League and Serie A.

The Juve comparison to try and justify 52k is just dreadful, before they moved they were getting 22k & they still built a stadium that was more than double their recent average attendances.They still only average less than 40k in the league & got around an 80% bump in their average attendance (with room for more), Everton are aiming for 30% max

Juventus built 45k beacuse thats around their max for even the big champions league games, nothing to do with intimacy or ambition or anything else.

The Juve comparison to try and justify 52k is just dreadful, before they moved they were getting 22k & they still built a stadium that was more than double their recent average attendances.They still only average less than 40k in the league & got around an 80% bump in their average attendance (with room for more), Everton are aiming for 30% max

Juventus built 45k beacuse thats around their max for even the big champions league games, nothing to do with intimacy or ambition or anything else.
Comparisons should be against clubs in the Premier League only, which we fall short of by quite a distance.

Once again, it is the board under selling the club.

Some strange statements here. Why are size and atmosphere incompatible? The old GP held up to 78,000 and in later decades still held over 60,000, without ever averaging more than than around the 50,000 mark. Don't recall Goodison ever being described as a library then. Also why would design principles necessarily be compromised by a bigger capacity?
How it looks to me is that financial and infrastructural restrictions have been at play, not optimal capacity considerations.
Because it's pointless to spend the money on seats that won't be sold. Beyond that, you can't sell amazing atmosphere and incredible fan experience if they are empty seats. That's part of what Everton needs to sell. Passionate fan base. That's the thing that leads to commercial revenue streams. Empty indicates to any advertiser that the greater market for the team isn't that significant.

Of course, we could also do what they did by ignoring health and safety and just cram people into a ground and hope nothing goes wrong.
When you go to Goodison and walk around the rabbit warren concourses and other facilities which struggle to cope adequately with 40,000 people it makes you wonder how there had not been some catastrophic accidents when you look at some of the crowds that were shoehorned into the ground.

Different times, different rules/laws, different costs, more discerning customers
Not strictly true Re. H&S. since 1946 grounds had to be licensed
Moelwyn Hughes's official report recommended more rigorous control of crowd sizes.[7] A conference on the licensing and regulation of sports grounds where it was recommended that, as a voluntary code, local authorities should inspect grounds with a capacity of 10,000 spectators and agreed safety limits should be in place for grounds of more than 25,000 capacity. Turnstiles should mechanically record spectator numbers and grounds should have internal telephone systems

More discerning customers is why rail standing will struggle to take off...if it ever gets passed into law.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back