New Everton Stadium

Lived and traded in Brazil in the 1820s...do you reckon he used free labour? 56% of the population were slaves then.

That is for the birds.
You have no evidence to suggest he was a slave trader.

I mean using your metric anybody who was alive during the slave trade era is guilty by association.

So thats everybody that was born from around 1700 till around the 1960s.

I mean using your metric anybody who was alive during the slave trade era is guilty by association.

And me. What with living in Bristol and saw AC/DC at the Colston Hall once. Had a customer in the nearby Colston Tower as well.

Most people weren't merchants and traders in that time though. I mean we dont know, but seems likely he would have been involved.

Here's the clincher:

Slavery was only abolished in Brazil in 1888. Bramley Moore was up to his neck in trading with a slave economy -

"For many years Bramley-Moore was chairman of the Brazilian chamber of commerce in Liverpool, and lobbied the government to reduce the duties on coffee and sugar."

Coffee and sugar are archetypal slave worked products.

Bramley Moore was unquestionably a man who made his wealth through the explitation of slaves.

Let's get to a situation where we dont use his rancid name in relation to the proposed new stadium.

Here's the clincher:

Slavery was only abolished in Brazil in 1888. Bramley Moore was up to his neck in trading with a slave economy -

"For many years Bramley-Moore was chairman of the Brazilian chamber of commerce in Liverpool, and lobbied the government to reduce the duties on coffee and sugar."

Bramley Moore was unquestionably a man who made his wealth through the explitation of slaves.

Let's get to a situation where we dont use his rancid name in relation to the proposed new stadium.

The city of Liverpool was built on the back of the slave trade.

Lets not be precious here.

Anyone think the proposed design will change much when they get the next architects in?

As I understand, The next architects working with LOR are more engineer based and will put forward a design that is actually more feesible?
No, I think it will be very very close to what we have seen.

The consultations were based on that design.

The planning application was based on that design.

I'm not sure how much leeway a project has, perhaps others better informed can explain what is/isn't allowed to be changed.

Here's the clincher:

I mean the reason we are called Everton is due to the slave trade.

Everton is an ancient settlement and, like Liverpool, was one of the six unnamed berewicks of West Derby. Until the late 18th century Everton was a small rural parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, but the rise in wealth of nearby Liverpool pushed its wealthier merchants towards Everton and further afield to live. By the early 19th century Liverpool's demand for housing saw Everton begin to be built up.

As I say, you can link most things from the last 400 years to the slave trade if you try hard enough.

The city of Liverpool was built on the back of the slave trade.

Lets not be precious here.
Ha Ha.

I dont know about you, but I feel no part of any slavery shame.

The merchant princes as they called themselves were up to their elbows in blood and misery. The fact they donated to art galleries and museums to hide their evils is neither here nor there.

Destroying or renaming all recognition of them in Liverpool is, for me, a seperate issue to what I'm proposing. My point is that we have a chance to distance oursleves from Bramley Moore and rename our stadium project as 'The Dock Project'. It's a defunct site and we have no great need to wrestle with the debate around renaming. We should take that opportunity.

Ha Ha.

I dont know about you, but I feel no part of any slavery shame.

The merchant princes as they called themselves were up to their elbows in blood and misery. The fact they donated to art galleries and museums to hide their evils is neither here nor there.

Destroying or renaming all recognition of them in Liverpool is, for me, a seperate issue to what I'm proposing. My point is that we have a chance to distance oursleves from Bramley Moore and rename our stadium project as 'The Dock Project'. It's a defunct site and we have no great need to wrestle with the debate around renaming. We should take that opportunity.

Any excuse hey Dave.

I mean the reason we are called Everton is due to the slave trade.

Everton is an ancient settlement and, like Liverpool, was one of the six unnamed berewicks of West Derby. Until the late 18th century Everton was a small rural parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, but the rise in wealth of nearby Liverpool pushed its wealthier merchants towards Everton and further afield to live. By the early 19th century Liverpool's demand for housing saw Everton begin to be built up.

As I say, you can link most things from the last 400 years to the slave trade if you try hard enough.

Everton is a place name that predates the residency of slave merchants. It'll go back to the Domesday book. You'd have been on slightly firmer ground if you'd stated St Domingo was a neighbourhood named by George Campbell, who was a trader in Santo Domingo - a place that saw the first slave revolt.
But then again, the St Domingo connection is tenuous in any case.

Lived and traded in Brazil in the 1820s...do you reckon he used free labour? 56% of the population were slaves then.

That is for the birds.

Anyone think this slave thing has got a bit much, yes there has been good and bad in our history, but it is our history, we can't change it and it shouldn't be hidden nor forgotten. No one now can possibly feel responsible for what happened 200 years back or whatever it was. It is what it is.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back