New Everton Stadium

You've mistaken my interest in this as one of tokenism on the issue of slavery and colonialism. I stated above (if ould cared to have read) that this is a pragmatic point concerning damage to the club's identity.

Dave there is an actual slavery thread in the current affairs section, would you like to take this there ? And not derail the new stadium thread, thanks in advance.

Dave there is an actual slavery thread in the current affairs section, would you like to take this there ? And not derail the new stadium thread, thanks in advance.
It's relevant. How could the naming of the new stadium not be an issue for this thread?

None of those examples involve Everton and its search for a new stadium as far as I'm aware.

Dont know how many times I've made this point already, but I;ll make it again: this is not a moral call Im making, it's one based on the inclusive image the club project and want (presumably) to keep.

Keep on naming this project the Bramley Moore Dock project and see how long it takes others in this new environemnt to figure out what the associations are.

My solution: let's be pragmatic and cut this feller's name out of the equation. He and his odious trade have nothing to do with us, we should in an instant drop all reference to him.

Is that ^^^ so hard to understand? Really?

We need to disband EFC then, because there was a period where a section of fans chanted ‘Everton are white’. So let’s cut the fans out of it too, to be pragmatic.

Or we can say ‘that was bad, we as a fan base were wrong. Let’s learn, evolve but not erase that stain on our history, so we don’t forget how far we’ve come and how far we need to go.’

Same principles apply to the name of a building.

Interesting he gave evidence to the parliamentary select committee on the abolition of slavery and talked about the evils connected to it...

We need to disband EFC then, because there was a period where a section of fans chanted ‘Everton are white’. So let’s cut the fans out of it too, to be pragmatic.

Or we can say ‘that was bad, we as a fan base were wrong. Let’s learn, evolve but not erase that stain on our history, so we don’t forget how far we’ve come and how far we need to go.’

Same principles apply to the name of a building.
That's completely besides the point Im making. Here it is...again:

Dont know how many times I've made this point already, but I'll make it again: this is not a moral call I'm making, it's one based on the inclusive image the club project and want (presumably) to keep.

Keep on naming this project the Bramley Moore Dock project and see how long it takes others in this new environemnt to figure out what the associations are.

My solution: let's be pragmatic and cut this feller's name out of the equation. He and his odious trade have nothing to do with us, we should in an instant drop all reference to him.

Is that ^^^ so hard to understand? Really?

That's completely besides the point Im making. Here it is...again:

It really isn’t. You want the club to disassociate the Everton project from a name/adjunct which has racist traits in his/their history, ignoring every other facet of their work. Everton fans, like it or not, have the tag of being racist from the 70s/80s. So they should disassociate themselves from the fan base using your rationale. At the risk of going round in circles, We will have to agree to disagree.

From what I can figure out, John Bramley Moore was in Brazil in his 30's for a while, and became an advocate for sugar and coffee trading with Brazil. There is no evidence that he owned any plantations or bought slaves or anything like that.

He did speak a number of times about slavery, once whilst advocating lower tariffs for Brazil (tariffs were there in part because of links of the industry to slave trade. JBM's argument was that it's the same with cotton etc. so why treat sugar differently.

He gave evidence to parliament on the effectiveness of British efforts to get rid of the slave trade and talked about the evil aspects of the slave trade.

He did however support the confederates in the US.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back