New Everton Stadium

Look, at the very least he was up to his elbows in blood by encouraging the continuance of Brazil's slave trade. At the least. He also looks on the hook for being a slave owner too if his contemporaries words are anything to go by.

Bottom line: I dont know what his standing was amongst people during the times he lived in, but in today's society he has to be seen as a thoroughly reprehensible character who profitted from human trafficking.

Judging this any other way is to excuse slavery.
We, in Ireland , suffered as much as anybody from British colonial expansion but I think that we need to accept what happened in the past, learn from it hopefully, and move forwards.

I am much more concerned about the inequalities in the world today in terms of racism than what happened more than one hundred years ago.

If we put as much energy into rectifying what is wrong now rather than what was wrong more than a century ago it would be much more productive.

Slavery hasn't gone away, it still exists today... why not talk about that ?

He's not been paid apparently.
We have asked him to defer his payment for 6 months, or re- negotiate. Im not 100% sure on that bit.
Stadium is fine though.
'not been paid' is quite a sweeping statement.

I'd imagine a design commission like this is staged payments anyway, particularly once his firm has been selected and a basic concept is agreed on for further work. He's been engaged by the club now for what, 3 years? More?

Can't see it being not paid.

Not cool that, if true.
Depends what is meant by 'not been paid' I suppose. If we haven't paid him for work that he's done and is legally owed for, that's bad. If we've said, look any chance you could waive your retainer for 6 months and we'll make it up afterwards then I don't really see a problem. I mean the players and manager are doing it. There'll be plenty of architects getting told their projects are scrapped and they won't be getting a penny at the moment, if he's just been asked to wait a bit longer for his money he's coming out of it pretty well.

Honestly mate, after all the failed stadium moves I really don't see why this one is the one that's definitely happening above all the others

At this stage I really can't be optimistic any more

I want it to happen, and I really hope it does and I'll look forward to getting vaulted because it means it happened, but I really don't see why I should have so much faith that this is going to happen. Sorry, I just don't

This club has ground me down to paste on this matter I'm afraid

Sadly still feel this way about it all

The club has failed so many times on a new stadium that they reserve no right to really any benefit of the doubt imo

Always assume the worst on this topic until the club proves us all otherwise

The club has failed so many times on a new stadium that they reserve no right to really any benefit of the doubt imo

Just think of it as a player, until they're on the pitch you can be never be sure it'll actually happen.

Wait, no, that's not right. Gbamin has signed for us, but doesn't actually play.

With you regarding the past form meaning the club have no credibility to provide assurances. I do have that doubt, always will due to KD and the pathetic attempt of Kirkby.

I do however feel more confident about this one though. It feels like everything has been done properly, not on the cheap, not half-arsed. I am condifdent this will go through due to the economic boost it will provide in a post-covid cirumstances.

but this is Everton, so lets enjoy Goodison for the next 20 years.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back