New Everton Stadium

Politically what is there to gain for the Tories here? Nothing they green light will ever shift a single constituency to within their reach on Merseyside. This isn't Red Wall country. Yes, I'm sure the private sector will have their ear, but there's vested interests around LFC that will also be heard to counterbalance that. As for the delay being fortuitous: can a delay of 3 months be telling in settling nerves for investment in the current economic climate?

Today Wirral & Chester is Red 5 Blue 0. When I went to school it was Red 1 Blue 4. There are by my estimate easily half a dozen seats in the wider Merseyside/Merseyside-influenced area the Tories can target and a couple of marginals to protect. Investments in Liverpool are not just benefits or sellable as benefits in Liverpool, particularly one that would be so visible from across the water.

On delay I think it will be 6-12 not 3. Probably 3 for LCC. 3 to decide not to call in or 9 if called in. Just best guesses but enough to matter in the wider Brexit/Covid context.

LFC have been privately neutral to mildly positive on this put bluntly because they do not see us as a threat & do see value add in the two-club heritage for football tourism. That might or might not change a bit with the CEO change. Watch Steve Rotherham & local Red MPs who have so far been helpful or at worst quiet. If they shift then some of your fear may be manifesting but if Rotherham in particular stays solid it is a big hint that Big Red aren’t that bothered, which is a bit insulting but useful.

Politically what is there to gain for the Tories here? Nothing they green light will ever shift a single constituency to within their reach on Merseyside. This isn't Red Wall country. Yes, I'm sure the private sector will have their ear, but there's vested interests around LFC that will also be heard to counterbalance that. As for the delay being fortuitous: can a delay of 3 months be telling in settling nerves for investment in the current economic climate?

nerves need to be settled here. There is not a chance of a sports stadium (globally) commencing development in the next 6 months (probably longer) until people genuinely understand the true impact of covid on sport. No-one really understands, when, how and if fans will be back & how the commercials will add up over the next few years for the PL......

I know we all have emotion in the game here, but would you consider building a new hotel, an airport hanger, commercial office space if you had planning granted recently. Not a chance. The same applies to sports stadia unfortunately...

Whats the process Rob lad? If the Council Grant Planning Permission in December is that it or do the Govt have to look at the matter before the councils decision or after becore deciding to review it?

No one seems to know the actual procedure - just alot of worrying over something thats not worth worrying about.

Someone like Historic England can ask the government to call it in, and if it is called in the decision on approval will be in the SoS's hands. But it'll mean delays as it means further reports. And the decision the SoS makes can be appealed in court.

After reading the club's new statement, I'd say the possibility is worth worrying about. It reads to me like the club are worried about the possibility more than they were, say, a year ago. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but that's what I'm getting from it.

One aspect of our stadium (a compulsory purchase order) was referred to the SoS and it took the best part of 18 months for him to decide. That was an unusually long time (David Lammy suggested it was because Eric Pickles is an Arse*** fan), but it did go in our favour. Basically though, you don't want it called in.

Today Wirral & Chester is Red 5 Blue 0. When I went to school it was Red 1 Blue 4. There are by my estimate easily half a dozen seats in the wider Merseyside/Merseyside-influenced area the Tories can target and a couple of marginals to protect. Investments in Liverpool are not just benefits or sellable as benefits in Liverpool, particularly one that would be so visible from across the water.

On delay I think it will be 6-12 not 3. Probably 3 for LCC. 3 to decide not to call in or 9 if called in. Just best guesses but enough to matter in the wider Brexit/Covid context.

LFC have been privately neutral to mildly positive on this put bluntly because they do not see us as a threat & do see value add in the two-club heritage for football tourism. That might or might not change a bit with the CEO change. Watch Steve Rotherham & local Red MPs who have so far been helpful or at worst quiet. If they shift then some of your fear may be manifesting but if Rotherham in particular stays solid it is a big hint that Big Red aren’t that bothered, which is a bit insulting but useful.
What's your data about no Everton fans in the wirral?

Well, yes, 12 months delay could and should tell us a lot about the wisdom of investment, but 3 months is what you originally stated.

Politically, I'm still not seeing a massive arm twister for the Tories. They'd be neutral at best on handing Labour held constituencies and the Labour controlled City Region a boost.

Handing favours and contracts out to the private sector is the hallmark of this lot in governement, and on that basis it ticks a lot of boxes. But I still see LFC as a malign force to be reckoned with. I cant accept that they are neutral on this. That males no sense t me. They've nurtured their 'possession' of the Liverpool (city) brand over the last few years (all those player and manager comments about 'the city' are not by accident - and they are amplified by their media backers). Allowing a basis to be laid for a resurgent Everton runs counter to that.

Anybody got any idea what CC means by this:

"We have also covered some of the most exposed areas within the stands to better protect supporters from the elements."

Is the roof now bigger or something or is this just as a result of it being slightly lower?

The steps form a tunnel that covers many of the turnstiles. So if you're queuing up, your protected from the elements.

The steps are actually like a stand outside that allows supporters to be able to shelter underneath them when there is bad weather. Seems a good idea to me.

The roof does look like it is bigger and not as shiny. Looks like cheaper materials have been used for the part you cannot see on the very top of it. Meis is going to be cursing us.

Photovoltaic array.

There's some precedence on the heritage front.

When United Utilities extended the wastewater treatment works next door to Bramley Moore, part of their design remit was to build the works so that they preserved the heritage areas of the site. That enabled them to show the dock could be reverted to original purpose if they ever dismantled the works.

Admittedly BMD is more complicated because the retaining walls are listed, but it's still broadly similar. Also, although the walls are listed, they're not unique in the immediate area. From memory* similar walls at Canning, Canning Half Tide, Canning Island, Collingwood , Dukes and the sea wall on Marine Parade were built using similar techniques and designed by Jesse Hartley ( who may also have inspired someone to do a spot of fly fishing ).

If the retaining walls were unique, we'd have a problem, but would likely have never chosen to build there if they were. It's disappointing to have a delay, but not the end of the world.

*with a helping hand from Wiki

nerves need to be settled here. There is not a chance of a sports stadium (globally) commencing development in the next 6 months (probably longer) until people genuinely understand the true impact of covid on sport. No-one really understands, when, how and if fans will be back & how the commercials will add up over the next few years for the PL......

I know we all have emotion in the game here, but would you consider building a new hotel, an airport hanger, commercial office space if you had planning granted recently. Not a chance. The same applies to sports stadia unfortunately...
Common sense has been spoken

The reduced height of the stadium will be down to pacifying those people. Regardless of their obsessions, however, they should be seen as the cats paw of people within LCC who wont want this to go through.

The reduced height will likely be down to the Tall building SRF released late last year/early this, cant remember.

Should all be local restaurants running mini stalls.

I believe that's the plan. Early word was that they would also close a large portion of the street to traffic and have pop-up cafe/bars on the walk down the dock road. Might still happen.

Any road traffic towards the ground would have to approach from the North end.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back