New Everton Stadium

From memory I think Goodison is actually one of the widest pitches in the PL.

The rule now states you must have that minimum size (unless you physically cannot due to older stadia) but I think you can have bigger. I suspect Pulis narrowed a pitch that exceeded those limits already (so did Walter Smith here) and you can still do that as long as it's done pre-season and remains for that season.
Your memory's letting you down there. GP is one of the narrowest.

Preferred the old plans. Certainly don't like the new positioning of the disabled areas. So much for making the stadium intimidatory, with what would appear like maybe 500 seats being replaced to provide for disabled capacity and for the new access points -- for all but the few hundred seats directly behind the goal the crowd as a result will now be some 4 yards or so further away from the pitch. In fact, for the stadium generally it appears that the fans are further away than in the first design. Disappointing.
He's not saying that, the wheelchair tribunes in the original bowl design were still in the home end but on the corner bits. Where they've been moved to in the amended designs, whilst probably cheaper by reducing the number of lifts needed, doesn't pay homage to the 'closeness' of the gwladys street as much as the original designs.
Agreed.

Preferred the old plans. Certainly don't like the new positioning of the disabled areas. So much for making the stadium intimidatory, with what would appear like maybe 500 seats being replaced to provide for disabled capacity and for the new access points -- for all but the few hundred seats directly behind the goal the crowd as a result will now be some 4 yards or so further away from the pitch. In fact, for the stadium generally it appears that the fans are further away than in the first design. Disappointing.

Agreed.
Same. It's pretty unconventional to have wheelchair tribunes in those places for a designated 'home end'. If you look at the placement of them in the new WHL, they're in corners and up a level like they were in the original designs for BMD. Strange decision.

So disabled fans are forbidden from being in the big home end just because they are disabled and we lose a few seats?
He makes a valid point. One of the design principles was to create an intimidating home end with supporters on top of the pitch. A large part of the front of the home end will now be a sparsely populated area for disabled seating. No need to insinuate he is being offensive to people in wheelchairs.

He makes a valid point. One of the design principles was to create an intimidating home end with supporters on top of the pitch. A large part of the front of the home end will now be a sparsely populated area for disabled seating. No need to insinuate he is being offensive to people in wheelchairs.
Maybe try and read later messages before jumping in.

I read here that it's costing £80 million just to fill in the dock etc so it's never going to be cheap.
I'm guessing that part of the reason the Athletico stadium was cheaper to build is because it was built on empty wasteland near an airport and the land was cheap (and I guess labour is also cheaper out there?)
The stadium exterior is mainly bland concrete and no matter how good it looks on tv, inside it has next to no facilities for supporters and isn't very close to to pitch, with the upper tiers behind the goals having about a 30 foot empty gap to the lower tiers, all the seats in the top tier were a long distance from the pitch and the lower tier isn't that close to the pitch anyway.
Even though it holds about 68,000, the size of the bowl site is big, I'm guessing near to the same size as Wembley and the whole site it's built on is massive.
Wasn't impressed by it to be honest.

It's still an athletics venue though isn't it hence the gaps and top tier distance. It's the best WHU can ever hope for without rebuilding the OS.

It's a clever design for what it is but it's not a true 'footy' venue and I wouldn't like it for us.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back