New Everton Stadium

Yes, I know. What's your point? My previous statement still stands.
The original post stated that 'they' always want it to remain derelict.
I replied that was never the plan. It wouldn't make any financial sense to keep any of the docks derelict.
Peel bought them as an investment and have a development plan.Part of that plan is for EFC to build a ground on BMD.
The ground will be built..
There's no plan to leave any areas they own derelict.

Well, some would call those plans 'pie in the sky,' as nothing has ever happened in regards to any developments being put forward for planning.

Outline planning had been agreed. Liverpool Waters is 8 years into a 20 year plan. While the Everton ground dramatically speeds up the timeline, don't fall into the trap assuming that no visible action means there is nothing going on.

Its fair to assume that we all (at least most) agree the best thing for BMD is for the stadium to be built, for many reasons, selfish ones and for the positive effect it will have on the economy of the immediate area and beyond. However, it is best to understand your opponents. The argument of HE, is not that the dock should remain derelict, but that the dock should be used for the purposes as was signed off in outline planning at the beginning of the decade, a residential use maintaining a water presence and being recognisable as a dock. The time it would take is not the issue for them, clearly.

However, I would say that in the wording they have used, they accept that it is difficult to argue against the stadium when comparing their concerns against economic value.

Best thing we can all do, is to respond to the planning update, and make it clear that more money will likely be spent, and the positives it will give for the city as a whole. Also a good opportunity for people from abroad to talk about how they will visit etc etc.

Outline planning had been agreed. Liverpool Waters is 8 years into a 20 year plan. While the Everton ground dramatically speeds up the timeline, don't fall into the trap assuming that no visible action means there is nothing going on.

Its fair to assume that we all (at least most) agree the best thing for BMD is for the stadium to be built, for many reasons, selfish ones and for the positive effect it will have on the economy of the immediate area and beyond. However, it is best to understand your opponents. The argument of HE, is not that the dock should remain derelict, but that the dock should be used for the purposes as was signed off in outline planning at the beginning of the decade, a residential use maintaining a water presence and being recognisable as a dock. The time it would take is not the issue for them, clearly.

However, I would say that in the wording they have used, they accept that it is difficult to argue against the stadium when comparing their concerns against economic value.

Best thing we can all do, is to respond to the planning update, and make it clear that more money will likely be spent, and the positives it will give for the city as a whole. Also a good opportunity for people from abroad to talk about how they will visit etc etc.

Yeah, I understand all that, i just expect the counter argument to be that it hasn't gotten off the ground and the plan for that part of the site has never been guaranteed to happen. I mean. Peel have made a u-turn for a reason.

As a long time lurker though, I do know that you know a lot more about it than me ;)

Yeah, I understand all that, i just expect the counter argument to be that it hasn't gotten off the ground and the plan for that part of the site has never been guaranteed to happen. I mean. Peel have made a u-turn for a reason.

As a long time lurker though, I do know that you know a lot more about it than me ;)

The real pull of this stadium, for Peel, is that it brings their entire timeline forward. That end was always the last to be focused on. The reason that Peel had a 20 year plan is beacuase of he length of time these things can take. However, the value of a residential build for Peel is much lower in its current state than it will be once they have had all the office space built, hence the phasing and it seeming that nothing that way is happening. Design work and requests for OBC are coming in on a fairly regular basis for the central sections of the development.

Same. It's pretty unconventional to have wheelchair tribunes in those places for a designated 'home end'. If you look at the placement of them in the new WHL, they're in corners and up a level like they were in the original designs for BMD. Strange decision.
You can see from the drawings that access to the disabled seating area is from the rear and would be directly from the ground level concourse beneath the stands so I suspect its a cost cutting exercise in that it does away with the need for elevators.

You can see from the drawings that access to the disabled seating area is from the rear and would be directly from the ground level concourse beneath the stands so I suspect its a cost cutting exercise in that it does away with the need for elevators.

But there already are 6 elevators on the south side of the ground (in the east and west stands, but to the very far south) that would serve fine. Whether it’s technically enough, I don’t know.

Apologies that I keep banging on about it but it’s genuinely the first time that I feel that Everton are fobbing us off - from this impenetrable wall of fans to whatever is cheapest. If anyone is watching the Brentford Fulham game now Brentford have these tribunes at the front and they look terrible. Imagine that but much much more prevalent at either end of the ground.

A70ED554-6F4C-45C3-B9DA-ACBFFB140772.webp

But there already are 6 elevators on the south side of the ground (in the east and west stands, but to the very far south) that would serve fine. Whether it’s technically enough, I don’t know.

Apologies that I keep banging on about it but it’s genuinely the first time that I feel that Everton are fobbing us off - from this impenetrable wall of fans to whatever is cheapest. If anyone is watching the Brentford Fulham game now Brentford have these tribunes at the front and they look terrible. Imagine that but much much more prevalent at either end of the ground.

View attachment 102779
Agreed. Whatever the reason behind the change it signifies a marked departure from one of the central objectives handed to Meis, namely to make the stadium visually and atmospherically the best in the league. One can only assume that, ominously, it's a cost saving issue. Hopefully there won't be any more such fundamental changes as the work proceeds. Who can ever forget the initial visually glorious drafts of the 'iconic' stadium that was Destination Kirkby. By the time it got to final planning it was more like a copy of Sunderland's Stadium of Light.

Agreed. Whatever the reason behind the change it signifies a marked departure from one of the central objectives handed to Meis, namely to make the stadium visually and atmospherically the best in the league. One can only assume that, ominously, it's a cost saving issue. Hopefully there won't be any more such fundamental changes as the work proceeds. Who can ever forget the initial visually glorious drafts of the 'iconic' stadium that was Destination Kirkby. By the time it got to final planning it was more like a copy of Sunderland's Stadium of Light.

I work in construction, and it reeks of a decision that a contractor would make to save a couple of million quid (for both Everton and them). If im right, I suspect it’s a joint decides between L’OR and Gardiner and Theobold (our appointed project managers) without actually considering the core principles as you say. It’s one of the risks we’ve taken by binning off Meis, and I’m really really upset by it, as I said earlier I feel like it’s one of the first times that Everton have made a really really bad decision in this whole process.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back