New Everton Stadium

The principle is the same. Local versus national/global considerations.

Hopefully there's no spill over into the stadium decision...but he's going to leave himself open to inconsistency...

We've barely had opposition.

UNESCO showed opposition...we took it into consideration

WHS showed opposition...we took it into consideration and even though they still opposed, they agreed they can see the benefits.

This will proceed in due course.

still don’t think they compare

there are huge concerns digging a deep coal mine and lots of residents didn’t want it.

with us it’s the complete opposite and unless we see huge opposition to BMD (which we don’t) I would be absolutely amazed if it is called in
Neither will get knocked back, not BMD, nor the coalmine.
Coalmine owners - the very backbone of tories...unlike the miners who do the actual work.

Cumbria coal mine called in by Jenrick.

"The local government secretary, Robert Jenrick, had previously refused to intervene but on Thursday night he said he would take responsibility for the scheme away from the local authority....Jenrick “considers that this application raises planning issues of more than local importance”.
Good God Dave I thought we were building a state of the art stadium on the riverside. Everton I hate you this is Fracking ridiculous !

Bramley Moore used to be a dock for the handling of coal, maybe Dave has a point?

On a serious note, the coal mine discussion is VERY different to the stadium. The very essence of a coal mine, on the surface of it goes against the entire plan of the country and environmental targets etc. but, the coke that is mined is crucial to our steel business' where it would have to imported from elsewhere otherwise, and from countries with much worse environmental records than our own. Very different to the impact of a football stadium on a WHS site.

Bramley Moore used to be a dock for the handling of coal, maybe Dave has a point?

On a serious note, the coal mine discussion is VERY different to the stadium. The very essence of a coal mine, on the surface of it goes against the entire plan of the country and environmental targets etc. but, the coke that is mined is crucial to our steel business' where it would have to imported from elsewhere otherwise, and from countries with much worse environmental records than our own. Very different to the impact of a football stadium on a WHS site.
You're comparing functionality with functionality; but you know you should be comparing the principle of setting in motion a public inquiry for one project deemed 'outside the local' and another one that could potentially be considered by Jenrcik as also outside just being a local issue.

That's the point I was making.

I'm not saying it will happen that way, I'm saying that's what a an obvious flip-flopper and flakey Sec of State like him might do in order to be seen as 'consistent'.

You're comparing functionality with functionality; but you know you should be comparing the principle of setting in motion a public inquiry for one project deemed 'outside the local' and another one that could potentially be considered by Jenrcik as also outside just being a local issue.

That's the point I was making.

I'm not saying it will happen that way, I'm saying that's what a an obvious flip-flopper and flakey Sec of State like him might do in order to be seen as 'consistent'.

From a quick google and speed read on this, I think the Gov had already approved it at the central level, but further complaints and new information, as well as substantial cross party political pressure has forced them to backtrack and call it in.

Id hope any opposition to BM is nothing like the opposition for the coal mine.

From a quick google and speed read on this, I think the Gov had already approved it at the central level, but further complaints and new information, as well as substantial cross party political pressure has forced them to backtrack and call it in.

Id hope any opposition to BM is nothing like the opposition for the coal mine.
It's at least worth considering the impact of one project on another here. Decisions are taken case by case, yes. But Jenrick will know that if he dismisses too easily the complaints of non-local organisations to the Everton stadium project he'll risk looking like he's not applying judgement even handedly and there may be appeals.

If Ireland has 2 stadiums then Croke Park (83.000 capacity) will be one as will the Aviva probably.

You would image the Millenium in Cardiff, Hampden or Celtic Park....

I remember in Euro 96 they viewed both Goodison and the Sesspool and stated that they had to pick one or the other.... Imagine they picked Anfield over BMD! lol.
I wouldn't be surprised if they chose Anfield again tbh. They will be over 60k capacity by then, with far bigger exec/corporate offer. We will be less than 53k with only 22 boxes.

It's at least worth considering the impact of one project on another here. Decisions are taken case by case, yes. But Jenrick will know that if he dismisses too easily the complaints of non-local organisations to the Everton stadium project he'll risk looking like he's not applying judgement even handedly and there may be appeals.

Yeah, I think they’re different enough projects, with enough variance in opposition to justify different decisions. I’m still 50/50 on it on which way it will go, by the way. We’ll know in a week, all being well.

EwMAGL5WQAEJjEj.webp

Thats why it will get passed

Yeah, I think they’re different enough projects, with enough variance in opposition to justify different decisions. I’m still 50/50 on it on which way it will go, by the way. We’ll know in a week, all being well.
The 17th I think.

I belive it will go through. The controversy over a coal mine in this political climate is far greater than a new stadium build that could test the patience of UNESCO.

I just think we should be cautious regarding a man and his department of state that's just done an enormous u-turn in days.

The 17th I think.

I belive it will go through. The controversy over a coal mine in this political climate is far greater than a new stadium build that could test the patience of UNESCO.

I just think we should be cautious regarding a man and his department of state that's just done an enormous u-turn in days.

Is this a change in position for you? Not a criticism, I’ve flip flopped and back again several times on what I think will happen.

The 17th I think.

On this point, I’m certainly cautious of Tory politicians and their decision making, however their naked self interest, and economic focus, I think could help us, for once.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back