New Everton Stadium

This is the closest known layout where you can see the whole stand. Obviously looks better in the virtual reality shots with EFC written to make it less bland but we haven't got a full interior shot yet in this style.

View attachment 121507

View attachment 121508

Cheers, so the only real changes from the original plan are what I assume are the disabled spaces in the bottom corners.

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

With all due respect, I don’t believe Tom is a stadium architect? yet he is disagreeing with people who are paid millions to design stadiums around the world.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I’d tend to go with the experts opinion.
I'm not an expert but I've done some structural design on a few stadium jobs and studied stadium design as part of my degree. I understand sightline geometry and have written programs for stadium sightine analysis and modelling. I've also visited hundreds of stadia worldwide and most in the UK. Some of the same experts gave us Wembley, and the atmosphere is poor compared to even the original which had track around it.

Does anyone know where I can find information about how steep the gradient is in other newly built stadiums?
Juventus new stadium looks very steep and I’d like to see how BMD compares with that and other prominent stadiums in Europe.

Does anyone know where I can find information about how steep the gradient is in other newly built stadiums?
Juventus new stadium looks very steep and I’d like to see how BMD compares with that and other prominent stadiums in Europe.

Well when a client asks an architect to create a stadium with the best atmosphere, the expert architects believe not having overlapping tiers is best.

I am inclined to believe the experts.

After all, the stadium with the best atmosphere in Europe - The Westfalenstadion, has no overlapping tiers.
I first went to Dortmund when it was single tier on all sides with open corners. I've been a few times since. The viewing distances in the corners are horrendous. The main provider of atmosphere is the south tribune.... but that is what you get when you put 20k in one end under a downturned roof.

However, if the side stands had been proper double-deckers, they could've readily had another 15,000 seats, and or safe standing sidecterraces to give another 10-15k.... how much better would the atmosphere have been then with 20-30k more capacity? How much better would BMD be with 63k instead of 53k?

I first went to Dortmund when it was single tier on all sides with open corners. I've been a few times since. The viewing distances in the corners are horrendous. The main provider of atmosphere is the south tribune.... but that is what you get when you put 20k in one end under a downturned roof.

However, if the side stands had been proper double-deckers, they could've readily had another 15,000 seats, and or safe standing sidecterraces to give another 10-15k.... how much better would the atmosphere have been then with 20-30k more capacity? How much better would BMD be with 63k instead of 53k?
Even though world leading stadium architects say that tiers that don’t overlap are better for creating an atmosphere?

If they’re wrong, why are they being paid millions to design stadiums with this brief.

That was the brief given to the architect who designed Juventus new stadium and they don’t have overhanging tiers. They have very steep lower tiers which is universally recognised by those in the industry as the way to create an intimidating atmosphere.

I don't get the delay here. If the city says "we think this is best for the future of Liverpool" unless it's a blatantly wrong or illegal this should just be rubber-stamped and moved on by the government.

They have to be seen to be taking it seriously and weighing up ALL the benefits against the negative that an organisation outside of the UK wants everything to be mothballed and to decay and some bloke from West Derby might top himself due to the mental anguish.

Seriously if the WHS causes it to be scrapped (which I don't believe it will but...) then the city should throw them out, drain all the docks and erect statues of crapping dogs all around in protest. That'll leave UNESCO free to decide to keep them on their precious list or not. Sooner they do one the better.

Even though world leading stadium architects say that tiers that don’t overlap are better for creating an atmosphere?

If they’re wrong, why are they being paid millions to design stadiums with this brief.

That was the brief given to the architect who designed Juventus new stadium and they don’t have overhanging tiers. They have very steep lower tiers which is universally recognised by those in the industry as the way to create an intimidating atmosphere.
I've worked with a few stadium architects, I don't remember any being millionaires or even much better paid than me tbh...... and very few had any experience in acoustics. None had stood on the Gwladys St against Bayern or saw the original Goodison Rd terrace (with over 20k capacity) in full voice, or on the Kop when we took full advantage of their tin roof either. So I'm not sure what your point is. I've said already that as a rule of thumb the single tier end stand is in most ways the best approach for unifying and spreading chants, but it is not the only factor, and is never the way to maximise capacity for a given footprint, more so with the re-introduction of standing. As a for instance: if GP had always been just single tier with the normal pre-war format of say 2 side stands with small paddocks and 2 end terraces.... our record attendance would only be about 50k, and the capacity would now be about 27k. Could that have been a better atmosphere than the actual 78k record and numerous other 50-70k+ games too? Would any people in that single tier stadium enjoy better views than the current upper tiers? The answer to both questions is obviously no.

I don't get the delay here. If the city says "we think this is best for the future of Liverpool" unless it's a blatantly wrong or illegal this should just be rubber-stamped and moved on by the government.

I've said it already but worth repeating.

There is nothing sinister about this delay.

The delay will just be because an under resourced team of civil servants have got a mountain of paperwork to go through and probably a load of other work already on their plate.

Their recommendation will then need to go through the internal bureaucracy before being sent to the Minister.

Source: I have worked in Whitehall for a long time, and my partner also works for MHCLG (the relevant Department here).

I've worked with a few stadium architects, I don't remember any being millionaires or even much better paid than me tbh...... and very few had any experience in acoustics. None had stood on the Gwladys St against Bayern or saw the original Goodison Rd terrace (with over 20k capacity) in full voice, or on the Kop when we took full advantage of their tin roof either. So I'm not sure what your point is. I've said already that as a rule of thumb the single tier end stand is in most ways the best approach for unifying and spreading chants, but it is not the only factor, and is never the way to maximise capacity for a given footprint, more so with the re-introduction of standing. As a for instance: if GP had always been just single tier with the normal pre-war format of say 2 side stands with small paddocks and 2 end terraces.... our record attendance would only be about 50k, and the capacity would now be about 27k. Could that have been a better atmosphere than the actual 78k record and numerous other 50-70k+ games too? Would any people in that single tier stadium enjoy better views than the current upper tiers? The answer to both questions is obviously no.
Dan Meis is a millionaire from designing stadiums.

He believes non overlapping tiers are better.

it avoids letter box views, it allows the lower tier to be steep (another universally agreed point amongst stadium architects in creating an intimidating atmosphere) and close to the pitch.

It’s the way to go, no doubt about it.

You are getting quite hung up on this point. No one isn't saying that isn't the ideal solution for giving the best atmosphere (given a certain size), it is a positive if you can go into the bowl and see the whole stadium from any seat instead of a sloping tier above that then means you can't even see the ball when it's hoofed into the air. But I've yet to see someone take up their seat who would usually make noise say 'well I'm going to sit here and say nothing'. The loudest noise recorded at a stadium was one that a) has an overlapping tier and b) hasn't even got a roof. Two of the things these world renowned architects will tell you are detrimental.

If we break it down to child like terms and said if you have a overlapping tiers the noise levels generated will consistently be a '5' but without will always be a '9' then that would be a definite reason but in reality it makes little difference. With Juventus' small 40k capacity it is fairly compact not to need the overlap so it is a perfect example of how a stadium should be. Start enlarging these though then you just get further and further away from the pitch which is why a lot of modern stadiums have the wave in the bowl to stop you needing a telescope to see the other end of pitch from the corners.

This is where the overlapping tiers are a positive to bring everyone not in the lower tier closer to the action. As I said before they are more expensive to build and maintain so the architect working with the people who have hired them will almost always go for the cheaper option and sweeten the news with but it's better for the crowd, when in reality it's a trade off. Gain here, lose there.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back