New Everton Stadium

Do you think that the most recent building on Mann island looks good, or out of place? Just that, I'm not a big fan and neither are many others (no idea what the majority is....). The reason I don't particularly like it is because it was seemingly designed without consideration for its surroundings.
8-2-2.webp

Exactly.

I cant see the fuss here.

How on earth can it be argued that a wall in front of our new stadium is preferable to it not being there? Dan Meis' conceptualisation of it "rising out of the docks like a wave above it" is pure polishing a turd territory.

He had to kow tow to the conservationist lobby and cast about for a way to sell it. If Meis had his way he'd have had no wall there other than the gate turrets. Which would be a very good way of a nod to the old use of the space but not get in the way of people viewing in full his design from all angles.
There used to be 7miles of docks. They've kept one, The Albert Dock, which tells you all you need to know about the other
6 and a half miles of docks.
Same with walls.

That's what struck me about the design too. As much as I like the stadium the roof doesn't allow for expansion - when it it was clearly something that was potentially needed in the future.

Did he say whether the design allows for the existing roof to be removed easily, extra rows to be added and a larger roof to be re-assembled.

I asked how it could be expanded in that way without completely compromising the whole signature roof design. He mentioned something about the side roof sections being modular, i.e. it's not a tensile/compression ring arrangement etc. Which doesn't really answer the question. He didn't really elaborate further, and the meeting had to move on to other agenda items.

Do you think that the most recent building on Mann island looks good, or out of place? Just that, I'm not a big fan and neither are many others (no idea what the majority is....). The reason I don't particularly like it is because it was seemingly designed without consideration for its surroundings.
It's quite telling that Unesco didn't visit the city since those buildings on Mann island were completed.

If they had, I'm pretty sure the club of Meis would have been fanning trying to appease them. (shouldn't have been anyway)

I asked how it could be expanded in that way without completely compromising the whole signature roof design. He mentioned something about the side roof sections being modular, i.e. it's not a tensile/compression ring arrangement etc. Which doesn't really answer the question. He didn't really elaborate further, and the meeting had to move on to other agenda items.
That'll be a No then

The Museum of Liverpool Life?

No, I dont like it.

The Cloud would have been better, and I wasn't completely sold on that idea either.

The Museum of Liverpool Life?

No, I dont like it.

The Cloud would have been better, and I wasn't completely sold on that idea either.

I was actually referring to the Mann Island apartments, but either point stands I suppose.

I do understand your view about not having the wall, but I disagree that it takes away from eth stadium being there. The stadium has been designed for tej wall being in place, had the wall been completely removed, then it is likely that eth design would also have changed. In my opinion, a building should be designed to complement eth areas that it is in. Not necessarily copy it, as how would we progress design, but to work with the area and its character. Simply destroying what surrounds it would in my opinion be a failure of that task.

I was actually referring to the Mann Island apartments, but either point stands I suppose.

I do understand your view about not having the wall, but I disagree that it takes away from eth stadium being there. The stadium has been designed for tej wall being in place, had the wall been completely removed, then it is likely that eth design would also have changed. In my opinion, a building should be designed to complement eth areas that it is in. Not necessarily copy it, as how would we progress design, but to work with the area and its character. Simply destroying what surrounds it would in my opinion be a failure of that task.
It's getting compromised in any case: sections of the wall are being cut out for entrance purposes. It'll look like a dog's breakfast.

Away from the aesthetics of it - I'm not convinced it'll cope with people accessing the site through it. There's three pinch points to get on the stadium site. It's going to be a culture shock to people used to walking up a lot of side streets to access the present stadium.

I'm utterly convinced once the club have played there a few years that'll be gone with the turreted gates remaining.

It's getting compromised in any case: sections of the wall are being cut out for entrance purposes. It'll look like a dog's breakfast.

Away from the aesthetics of it - I'm not convinced it'll cope with people accessing the site through it. There's three pinch points to get on the stadium site. It's going to be a culture shock to people used to walking up a lot of side streets to access the present stadium.

I'm utterly convinced once the club have played there a few years that'll be gone with the turreted gates remaining.
I don't think the wall is going anywhere, Dave.

Don't forget the plan over the next 5/10 years is to build up around Nelson and all the way down towards 'town.'

There will be no need for 50k people to get out onto Regent Rd within 10 min of full time, they'll be able to filter out to the East and the South. (I know they also have plans for a nice walkway all the way down the front past the dockers clock, but that's going to be grim in winter.)

If they actually switch on and keep the bars open on the concourse and have tellys for sky Post match and the 530 game Saturdays it will mean even less pressure.

Colin Chong was recently asked about this. He said that in his opinion he felt that higher ratios were probably unlikely and that any future increases would need expansions of the side stands.
I wonder what makes him think that?

Jon Darch (@safestandingRS) on Twitter, runs the safe standing roadshow, believes a ratio greater than 1:1 will be allowed within a few years.

He’s been spot on with everything up to this point.

The access/egress issue is not one that has never been raised, and there are obviously challenges. However, that isn't necessarily improved upon by opening up the whole wall for people to flood out onto the street. There is still only a few main arteries out of the area, with one in particular being closed to vehicles on match day to make full use of the space to get people into town, or to the nearest transport hub. The best way to approach this challenge currently would be to try and keep people around after the game, but that is a challenge in itself.

I don't think the wall is going anywhere, Dave.

Don't forget the plan over the next 5/10 years is to build up around Nelson and all the way down towards 'town.'

There will be no need for 50k people to get out onto Regent Rd within 10 min of full time, they'll be able to filter out to the East and the South. (I know they also have plans for a nice walkway all the way down the front past the dockers clock, but that's going to be grim in winter.)

If they actually switch on and keep the bars open on the concourse and have tellys for sky Post match and the 530 game Saturdays it will mean even less pressure.
A plan is different than nailed on developments.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back