New Everton Stadium

I asked how it could be expanded in that way without completely compromising the whole signature roof design. He mentioned something about the side roof sections being modular, i.e. it's not a tensile/compression ring arrangement etc. Which doesn't really answer the question. He didn't really elaborate further, and the meeting had to move on to other agenda items.
Thanks. That would suggest raising the height and increasing the of (say) the east stand independently from the south/north which would absolutely destroy the aesthetic of he design.

I was never one for suggesting it should be 60k+, but I do think 52,888k is a bit unambitious without accommodating a bit of expansion room. Even Bill Kenwright said 'it has to be at least 55k'.

The access/egress issue is not one that has never been raised, and there are obviously challenges. However, that isn't necessarily improved upon by opening up the whole wall for people to flood out onto the street. There is still only a few main arteries out of the area, with one in particular being closed to vehicles on match day to make full use of the space to get people into town, or to the nearest transport hub. The best way to approach this challenge currently would be to try and keep people around after the game, but that is a challenge in itself.
Of course, just removing the wall wont solve the situation, but it'd speed up the ability for people to disperse from the site.

A plan is different than nailed on developments.
100%.

You were also convinced the stadium would never be built so I think I will wait and see what happens with Liverpool Waters ;)

Even if the neighbouring docks are not done in a short/medium term quite a few will still stick around if the option is open to them.

I wonder what makes him think that?

Jon Darch (@safestandingRS) on Twitter, runs the safe standing roadshow, believes a ratio greater than 1:1 will be allowed within a few years.

He’s been spot on with everything up to this point.

I didn't get to ask him that. I can only assume that is what he has heard within the stadium design/management industry. I think a few studies of the safe-standing experiment have taken place and perhaps that is the feeling he is getting from them so far.

The other thing of course is that Everton went for treads depths of 750mm in the proposed safestanding areas. This could limit the ratio uplift in anycase. It is also not clear how that front section would be compliant if it is going to be at the kind of rake angle indicated (approx 30-34°).

Not a chance people will be hanging round in great numbers.

The queues to get through the gates will be long and slow moving.

I think it is a racing certainty that they will be hanging around in large numbers. Everton FC will sweat the asset as much as possible and will encourage fans to stay behind for an hour or 2 after the game. There is zero chance that the bars, cafés and restaurants which BMD will have will be locked and barred at 5pm on a Saturday home game, for example. Not a chance.

I think it is a racing certainty that they will be hanging around in large numbers. Everton FC will sweat the asset as much as possible and will encourage fans to stay behind for an hour or 2 after the game. There is zero chance that the bars, cafés and restaurants which BMD will have will be locked and barred at 5pm on a Saturday home game, for example. Not a chance.
I stay behind after games anyway.

Not much to be gained by rushing to the exit, you aint moving anywhere.

You honestly see tens of thousands hanging around the stadium after the final whistle?

Not a chance people will be hanging round in great numbers.

The queues to get through the gates will be long and slow moving.
I gotta hand it to you.

You move from one topic to the next with equal amounts of misery so nobody feels left out.

Let's say 50k are in the stadium.

If the club keeps several concourse bars open and shows other matches, how many will stick around? 1k? 2? More?

How many will leave before Full time? Like what happens today, 5k?

You're talking like every one in the ground will arrive at the Regent Road exit at the same time. They won't.

Those in the west stand (lower) are 5 mins away, upper, longer.

How wide are those gates at the entrance? I'll bet they're not much narrower than the streets running off Goodison Road when you factor in the parked cars.

If after a couple of games it's a problem they'll open safe walkways around both ends of Nelson Dock to people can join Regent Road further down.

Don't write it off as a bad job because you don't like the look of it. Professionals who study flow dynamics and such like will have had an input.

I could buy you a first class ticket to LA and you'd complain about the cheese and wine selection on the flight.

Cheer up ;) :pint2:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back