New Everton Stadium

Can alcohol even be served in the ground after half time has finished?

God bless.
The UK NFL games serve beer up until the 4th quarter and then again after the game. They have "fan zones" open for fans to stick around and watch live music/NFL news/games. Quite a lot stay. But, the HUGE difference is, many are there for a carnival atmosphere. Having a fun day out.

Evertonians aren't having a fun day out 99% of the time. I can only think of the Palace game, last season, where I would've stayed out. However, it wouldn't have been at the ground, I would've headed to town.

Until results change, the feel good factor returns and prices/entertainment are good enough, fans won't stay.

The scenario is that people will stay at the ground for hours after the game.

If people have a few hours to spare post match they're more likely to get themselves into town and spend it there. There'll defo be no captive audience at the stadium of tens of thousands. And people will still have to make their way home after that, so why not do it from the centrality of town where they'd be headed to in any case (most wont live in Vauxhall or Kirkdale to make that not the sensible choice).

I'm just making the point that the build up at the wall exits is going to be immense.

Only time will tell. I'm convinced there will be a culture of several thousand fans having an after match pint in the stadium and/or fan zone after the match. Not everybody will be in a rush and for a sizeable percentage of EFC's fan base BMD is actually far better served by public transport than is GP. I'm one of them, by the way. I appreciate that is more to do with luck than planning.

I think if the beers cheap enough and there’s somewhere to sit and maybe watch post match highlights or something then some would stay after the game to avoid the rush. Or wait for the ‘next train or bus’

Anyone hanging around for too long afterwards, will find themselves drafted into the Bramley Moor Peoples Front and manning the machine gun turrets, on the unsightly wall, as the helicopters and rogue turbine blades attack the crowd.

Only time will tell. I'm convinced there will be a culture of several thousand fans having an after match pint in the stadium and/or fan zone after the match. Not everybody will be in a rush and for a sizeable percentage of EFC's fan base BMD is actually far better served by public transport than is GP. I'm one of them, by the way. I appreciate that is more to do with luck than planning.
Well, my point here is not to contradict that a few thousand fans will stay on for a long time post match, it's that the vast majority wont and that will cause a lot of delay getting out of the stadium site altogether.

The only way to avoid that is to take out more or all of the wall and leave the gate turrets as a legacy to the site's former use.

Well, my point here is not to contradict that a few thousand fans will stay on for a long time post match, it's that the vast majority wont and that will cause a lot of delay getting out of the stadium site altogether.

The only way to avoid that is to take out more or all of the wall and leave the gate turrets as a legacy to the site's former use.
1ed99f.webp

Not really, the gap between the turrets is a lot wider than the width of the pavements/pathways outside of the wall. The limiting factor for egress is not the turrets but the lack of pavements…..

Yeah, imagine this, its November, its freezing, weve just lost 1-3 at home to a promoted team. Half the Park end and Gwladys who wouldve been in the Brick by 74 mins are gonna stick around to watch a glorified open mic night in a stadium concourse, still fuming at what they just witnessed. People who have a 2 hour journey back to Wales or the midlands are gonna say, "Nah, we might as well stick around in the stadium to watch Southampton vs Spurs on the 17.30 game", thats even if the are allowed to broadcast it.

Its fanciful and pie in the sky and depends on numerous factors that simply cannot be controlled, even if they serve food and drink at regular pub prices.

At best, they can leave the concourse open past half time to full time, and hopefully get a bit more business, and they might be able to serve more people in a faster amount of time, but a lot of people who wont pay £10 for a pint and a cardboard sausage roll arent going to pay £20 for a pint and a Halloumi wrap.

Keeping people behind would need some proper planning and thinking, like building a series of designated pubs and restaurants in the vacinity that the club own and run or lease to other businesses.

Existing pubs should do ok out of it like, and Costco is gonna be a nightmare from 5pm onwards on Saturdays.

Yeah, imagine this, its November, its freezing, weve just lost 1-3 at home to a promoted team. Half the Park end and Gwladys who wouldve been in the Brick by 74 mins are gonna stick around to watch a glorified open mic night in a stadium concourse, still fuming at what they just witnessed. People who have a 2 hour journey back to Wales or the midlands are gonna say, "Nah, we might as well stick around in the stadium to watch Southampton vs Spurs on the 17.30 game", thats even if the are allowed to broadcast it.

Its fanciful and pie in the sky and depends on numerous factors that simply cannot be controlled, even if they serve food and drink at regular pub prices.

At best, they can leave the concourse open past half time to full time, and hopefully get a bit more business, and they might be able to serve more people in a faster amount of time, but a lot of people who wont pay £10 for a pint and a cardboard sausage roll arent going to pay £20 for a pint and a Halloumi wrap.

Keeping people behind would need some proper planning and thinking, like building a series of designated pubs and restaurants in the vacinity that the club own and run or lease to other businesses.

Existing pubs should do ok out of it like, and Costco is gonna be a nightmare from 5pm onwards on Saturdays.
I went to Twickenham in October live music food stalls. Plenty people, a lot go to the pub after and at the moment not many near the docks

The scenario is that people will stay at the ground for hours after the game.

If people have a few hours to spare post match they're more likely to get themselves into town and spend it there. There'll defo be no captive audience at the stadium of tens of thousands. And people will still have to make their way home after that, so why not do it from the centrality of town where they'd be headed to in any case (most wont live in Vauxhall or Kirkdale to make that not the sensible choice).

I'm just making the point that the build up at the wall exits is going to be immense.
The point is, do you line up for 30 minutes or more for a bus or have a couple of beers then go to town when it's cleared

Not really, the gap between the turrets is a lot wider than the width of the pavements/pathways outside of the wall. The limiting factor for egress is not the turrets but the lack of pavements…..

How can egress not be improved by taking out the length of a wall onto Regent Road so a lot of people can access the pavement at different points rather than being funneled out via a central space cut through the wall?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back