New Everton Stadium

Just because they make grandiose claims doesn't mean they are willingly sacrificing a development opportunity - good open space and high quality landscaping can only improve the marketability of the site. In any event, why should future residents and workers have to go without a decent living and working environment.

I never said they should do. A decent living environment doesn't have to mean a huge park built on a piece of land that could be used for something which moves us up the ladder a lot more.

I'm very interested in cities and what makes them work well. We have enough parks. Everton Park is huge and is mainly a dogs' toilet. Stanley Park and Newsham Park aren't very far away, either.
Nobody in the western world is building concrete jungles. Residents, office occupiers etc ALL want sustainable living. Trees, green areas etc. It’s not the 1960s - thank god.

If you think someone in an apartment here or someone working in an office will pop out to enjoy some outdoors in Everton Park a mile and a half away you are mistaken.

I never said they should do. A decent living environment doesn't have to mean a huge park built on a piece of land that could be used for something which moves us up the ladder a lot more.
Again, from the images and figures I have seen I would not describe this as a huge park in relation to the full scale of Liverpool Waters. I would expect it is focused on linkways between the more viable development parcels. There may even be practical obstacles to building on that part of the site, such as services which can't be diverted at reasonable cost - seems unlikely in a dockland area but I wouldn't rule it out. I just I don't think any savvy developer would give up viable building opportunities if at all possible.

Nobody in the western world is building concrete jungles. Residents, office occupiers etc ALL want sustainable living. Trees, green areas etc. It’s not the 1960s - thank god.

If you think someone in an apartment here or someone working in an office will pop out to enjoy some outdoors in Everton Park a mile and a half away you are mistaken.
I didn't suggest it should be a concrete jungle, but a large park should there is not the best use of such a unique piece of land.

Sounds like a great idea. Five acres is just a small part of the dock structure and still leaves Peel about 50 acres south of our stadium to develop. It will also give impetus to develop the whole of the areas north and south of the Titanic and Tobacco Warehouse….

Sounds like a great idea. Five acres is just a small part of the dock structure and still leaves Peel about 50 acres south of our stadium to develop. It will also give impetus to develop the whole of the areas north and south of the Titanic and Tobacco Warehouse….
I'm sure that headline uses the word "huge".

I didn't realise it was one or the other? Perhaps they could build some offices on Sefton Park to level it u

I didn't realise it was one or the other? Perhaps they could build some offices on Sefton Park to level it up

Who said it was? On such a huge site there is no need for a "huge" park. There are plenty of ways you can make a place green and pleasant with the need for a park.

What other self respecting city would waste the opportunity of the north docks by building a huge park? Can you imagine London or even Manchester doing it? No, me neither. We've got a fantastic bit of real estate just sitting there waiting to transform the city. One thing we ain't short of in this part of the world are parks. We need to build top notch offices to encourage world class companies to relocate to bring top paying jobs and a mixture of accomodation from studio apartments to large town houses for aspirant families to move into. A huge park would be a total and utter waste of space and a golden opportunity squandered. Peel need to sell up. They have done nothing with the land they have had for 2 decades.

I can understand a bit of it centrally being green, maybe round the dockers clock. But not where the city needs grade a office space and apartments.

Some of the rundown building adjacent, could be knocked down and turned into green space - with sporadic views of the river.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back