New Everton Stadium

I cant wait to move into the new ground, I have seen the team of the 80s dominate English football for the seasons that we did and had some great times, but since then Goodison has seen some awful teams and to me is now becoming a hindrance and is holding us back big time of ever competing again with the likes of Aston Villa Brighton and hate to say it Newcastle.
Said this myself. Hate to say it but I just associate Goodison now with failure and rubbish football. I've been going since the mid 70's and I can't wait to see the back of Goodsion. I can understand why some are suggesting they just can't get excited by the new stadium, given the state we are in on the pitch. I choose to take the opposite view. It is the only glimmer of hope I've got as an Evertonian at this moment in time. It has kept me sane.

Said this myself. Hate to say it but I just associate Goodison now with failure and rubbish football. I've been going since the mid 70's and I can't wait to see the back of Goodsion. I can understand why some are suggesting they just can't get excited by the new stadium, given the state we are in on the pitch. I choose to take the opposite view. It is the only glimmer of hope I've got as an Evertonian at this moment in time. It has kept me sane.
The peeling victorian wallpaper in the jacks at the park end (and thats in the ‘hospitality’ section)… the sepia tinted memorabilia photos .. all reeks of nostalgic Kenright. Rip it up and start again.

Anybody around the age of 40 or below will almost certainly think the same. There have been no good times at Goodison, bar the Spurs FA Cup semi final in '95 and a handful of European games in the 2000s (that ultimately counted for absolutely nothing whatsoever) for people born after the mid-80s.

Sure, it's good to go to the game, enjoy a pint beforehand, see some familiar faces and watch the team, but there has been zilch to celebrate in terms of actual success.

When you can only point to are things like "We won a semi final there" or "We beat Liverpool 3-0" as highlights from the previous 30-odd years, then you know it's a venue that certainly can hold sentimental value, but hasn't been a venue that has hosted any important matches that have helped us go on to win anything, bar that aforementioned FA Cup 28 years ago.

Anybody around the age of 40 or below will almost certainly think the same. There have been no good times at Goodison, bar the Spurs FA Cup semi final in '95 and a handful of European games in the 2000s (that ultimately counted for absolutely nothing whatsoever) for people born after the mid-80s.

Sure, it's good to go to the game, enjoy a pint beforehand, see some familiar faces and watch the team, but there has been zilch to celebrate in terms of actual success.

When you can only point to are things like "We won a semi final there" or "We beat Liverpool 3-0" as highlights from the previous 30-odd years, then you know it's a venue that certainly can hold sentimental value, but hasn't been a venue that has hosted any important matches that have helped us go on to win anything, bar that aforementioned FA Cup 28 years ago.

The cup semi in 95 was at Elland Road.

For me it’s where I fell in love with footy but as it’s dying so are we. A fresh start might get us going again who knows

I cant believe the way some of you are talking about Goodison. Our home for 130+ years. Doesnt matter if we had a couple of relegation fights there, weve also won leagues, cups, derbies, european games etc whilst playing there.
Do you think fellas in the 50s wanted it knocking down cos we got relegated.

Main reason I want to win on Sunday is so we dont spend our last full season at Goodison playing championship football. if we go down after that so be it. Bramley Moore means absolutley nothing to me yet and until its got 20+ years of memories at least it will never compare to Goodison.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back