New Everton Stadium

I was part of a group who lobbied the Bestway guys about the loop site and also Peel over Liverpool waters before during and after the Destination Kirkby debacle.... stuff the club should've been doing years before and had no inclination nor clue about. I even spent quite a bit on an outline transport study for a stadium on or near Clarence Dock after a conversation with Peel and city planners. So I am as invested in and excited about BMD as the next blue.

That doesn't mean that people should have blind faith in everything and not mention any reservations or concerns that they might have about certain aspects of the project. We don't have to be head in the sand propagandists or happy clappers.... look what that approach did for many blues over BK and his friends?

We're talking about an organisation where the general decision-making has been horrendous for decades and the scattergun spending has driven us right up to the edge in recent times. The financial model has been vague from the start and is now in its umpteenth addlibed revision, with the club in turmoil.... BMD doesnt entirely exist in a bubble separate to that.... and may well be part cause of that precarious profit and sustainability position already, if not soon.

Positivity or negativity has nothing what so ever to do with it....

Tom please have a word with yourself. Speak to anyone working on the stadium and it's confirmed it's got the best facilities in the country.

The super expensive corporate seats sold out straight away which blew me away as I didn't believe we had the people in the city who would splash out on it.

It's a dock side stadium which is going to transform the club with the commercials it will make.

As I said you're like the esk, complete narcissism, "I was part of the group who did blah blah".

I genuinely think it will be the best in the league, too.

Exactly as you say, Spurs’ may be bigger and have more facilities, but externally it’s a bit of a dud. It looks tennis court with cheap cladding.

Our ground is architecturally compelling, in a spectacular location.

Pound for pound, the best ground in the country.

They've also sacrificed half the space (which was restricted in the first place) for NFL facilities .

Tom please have a word with yourself. Speak to anyone working on the stadium and it's confirmed it's got the best facilities in the country.

The super expensive corporate seats sold out straight away which blew me away as I didn't believe we had the people in the city who would splash out on it.

It's a dock side stadium which is going to transform the club with the commercials it will make.

As I said you're like the esk, complete narcissism, "I was part of the group who did blah blah".

Have a word with myself? You posted a picture of a stadium with overlapping tiers and said there weren't any?

You're not responding to anything I've actually said except to accuse me of narcissism, because I mentioned a bit of my history/background on the subject, simple and easily verifiable facts.... how is that narcissistic? Again, an attempt at personal insult instead of addressing the points made. I've consistently said what my reservations where regards clarity about funding etc. Feel free to explain how the figures work apart from vague references or buzz words.

I know and have spoken to several people involved in the project from the start, including former colleagues and have also been in various meetings with the club.... Of course it has got great facilities. I have viewed the options, but surely that's the least we'd expect from a £550m-£750m spend. However, you don't need to exaggerate them as the "best in the country". There are only 20-22 boxes (the same as Bristol City's mainstand. Spurs have 80, Arsenal over 100 on there own dedicated tiers. LFC have 64 and that will expand, several relative minnows have 30-40 boxes) and less than half the total corporate capacity of several of our peer clubs. Being on the waterfront hasn't attracted any funding to the kitty thus far and has come at a premium cost with no enabling developments whatsoever. So mentioning the waterfront as commercial leverage appears to be almost meaningless at this point. As with transport, the key value adding factor is proximity to city centre (and an existing major development scheme) and even that is stretched, not necessarily the waterfront per se.

Hopefully, all that will take off at some point as the thing nears completion...... It has to, because at present it is entirely speculative and based only on "bank of daddy" economics. A daddy who appears to have lost his rich backer (who was going to meet shortfalls via naming rights). A daddy who several years into the project has been unable to secure any commercial funding and is now forced into going cap in hand to investors looking to make a killing (with FFP/profit and Sustainability concerns hanging over us)..... but let's not mention any of that because at least we're going to be on the "banks of the royal blue mersey"....! The worry is... after years of looking, none of the banks of Wall street seem that keen.

Have a word with myself? You posted a picture of a stadium with overlapping tiers and said there weren't any?

You're not responding to anything I've actually said except to accuse me of narcissism, because I mentioned a bit of my history/background on the subject, simple and easily verifiable facts.... how is that narcissistic? Again, an attempt at personal insult instead of addressing the points made. I've consistently said what my reservations where regards clarity about funding etc. Feel free to explain how the figures work apart from vague references or buzz words.

I know and have spoken to several people involved in the project from the start, including former colleagues and have also been in various meetings with the club.... Of course it has got great facilities. I have viewed the options, but surely that's the least we'd expect from a £550m-£750m spend. However, you don't need to exaggerate them as the "best in the country". There are only 20-22 boxes (the same as Bristol City's mainstand. Spurs have 80, Arsenal over 100 on there own dedicated tiers. LFC have 64 and that will expand, several relative minnows have 30-40 boxes) and less than half the total corporate capacity of several of our peer clubs. Being on the waterfront hasn't attracted any funding to the kitty thus far and has come at a premium cost with no enabling developments whatsoever. So mentioning the waterfront as commercial leverage appears to be almost meaningless at this point. As with transport, the key value adding factor is proximity to city centre (and an existing major development scheme) and even that is stretched, not necessarily the waterfront per se.

Hopefully, all that will take off at some point as the thing nears completion...... It has to, because at present it is entirely speculative and based only on "bank of daddy" economics. A daddy who appears to have lost his rich backer (who was going to meet shortfalls via naming rights). A daddy who several years into the project has been unable to secure any commercial funding and is now forced into going cap in hand to investors looking to make a killing (with FFP/profit and Sustainability concerns hanging over us)..... but let's not mention any of that because at least we're going to be on the "banks of the royal blue mersey"....! The worry is... after years of looking, none of the banks of Wall street seem that keen.
Why do you always go on about boxes? They’re old fashioned and a lot of clubs are converting their boxes into open plan suites.

Which is the way the club has gone with BMD.

Why do you always go on about boxes? They’re old fashioned and a lot of clubs are converting their boxes into open plan suites.

Which is the way the club has gone with BMD.

They're old fashioned....? Yes, that was the party line..... Then why have we got any at all? Fact is, they are still the top level of corporate hospitality at all stadiums. Some clubs have converted some to control costs of those remaining boxes in recent climate and increase lounge space.... but Spurs still have 80 large boxes in a very recent build, and think Arsenal are still over 100, as are Man Utd and Villa. Put it this way..... are there just 20 boxes at any other prem stadium over 40k? The corporate facilities look great but they are not the best in the country and are dwarfed by the offer at NWHL and several others.

I was thinking the other day they could have doubled up corporate boxes on the north stand. Two rows on top of each other, this should fit in the tight footprint as it’s only an increase in height.
This would increase hospitality, generate more income, close the gap to the roof a bit (which some don’t like) and arguably making the stadium look better. Win, win, win.

I was thinking the other day they could have doubled up corporate boxes on the north stand. Two rows on top of each other, this should fit in the tight footprint as it’s only an increase in height.
This would increase hospitality, generate more income, close the gap to the roof a bit (which some don’t like) and arguably making the stadium look better. Win, win, win.
That wouldn’t be ideal. It’d result in the ‘small’ upper tier being totally detached from the seating in the East and West Stands, instead of an organic continuation of it flowing around the end.

Like a mini top balcony.

That wouldn’t be ideal. It’d result in the ‘small’ upper tier being totally detached from the seating in the East and West Stands, instead of an organic continuation of it flowing around the end.

Like a mini top balcony.
I was thinking the upper tier would still link in with the corners.

They're old fashioned....? Yes, that was the party line..... Then why have we got any at all? Fact is, they are still the top level of corporate hospitality at all stadiums. Some clubs have converted some to control costs of those remaining boxes in recent climate and increase lounge space.... but Spurs still have 80 large boxes in a very recent build, and think Arsenal are still over 100, as are Man Utd and Villa. Put it this way..... are there just 20 boxes at any other prem stadium over 40k? The corporate facilities look great but they are not the best in the country and are dwarfed by the offer at NWHL and several others.

5334 premium seats still sounds like a lot to me. They'd have crunched the numbers and would have done as many boxes as they thought would work/sell and then have also backed the idea of doing Loge seating as well.

Time will tell I guess, Spurs I understand why they've done so many boxes (London, regularly CL, NFL capability), Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool we are so far off those clubs they shouldn't be any marker to how many boxes we should have.

If we've sold out all corporate packages with a demand for more, then sure we may have miscalculated what demand would be.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back