New Everton Stadium

The switch from a facade (even if it were observable...and I've been down there 4 times in different light and not observed it) that has the motif extended over the whole building (metal panels included) to one where it is, at best, no better than a water mark and now broken up by windows rather than metal grill work is an issue.

How could it not be?

The switch from a facade (even if it were observable...and I've been down there 4 times in different light and not observed it) that has the motif extended over the whole building (metal panels included) to one where it is, at best, no better than a water mark and now broken up by windows is an issue.

How could it not be?

Oh Dave, happy Friday and go and do the dishes or something and keep yourself occupied with other things.

Oh Dave, happy Friday and go and do the dishes or something and keep yourself occupied with other things.

It's a serious point. How can there be a design for the outer shell of the stadium that was once seen as crucial (I remember the metal panels being explained as a way of dealing with prevailing winds from the Mersey) that is so easily changed, replaced by windows that will destroy the integrity of the 'desired' motif of the facade.

I mean these things can be queried cant they? They should be. It's not a small thing, it's huge in terms of the look of the stadium.

It's a serious point. How can there be a design for the outer shell of the stadium that was once seen as crucial (I remember the metal panels being explained as a way of dealing with prevailing winds from the Mersey) that is so easily changed, replaced by windows that will destroy the integrity of the 'desired' motif of the facade.

I mean these things can be queried cant they? They should be. It's not a small thing, it's huge in terms of the look of the stadium.

Someone's already mentioned that the windows are still getting covered by the perforated panels. It's just the Leitch design won't be seen on the perforated panels as it was suggested it would look too busy.

The club / contractors might be saying it's "more distinguishable" and that metal panels with the continuation of the criss cross motif being replaced by windows that dont have it is going to enhance the (unobservable) criss crosses on the brickwork, but that doesn't mean it's true.

But this is all down to Meis trying to curry favour with fans who he thought were all on board with a design on the brickwork just so he could get the stadium architectural gig.

It's a failure of epic proportions. This stadium is costing £700M and to chop and change on the facade that will cover it and be the face of the stadium to the world is unforgivable. It's been a case of too many cooks on that design. Meis had his input, the likes of UNESCO and Historic England had their say on it, then we had Pattern Design. It's absolutely pathetic.

200w.gif

Someone's already mentioned that the windows are still getting covered by the perforated panels. It's just the Leitch design won't be seen on the perforated panels as it was suggested it would look too busy.
That was never the original plan though. It sounds ad hoc.

And why all of a sudden is the extension of the Leitch design onto the metal panel work not right?

The official explanations just lead to more questions.

I don't remember them saying what was behind the perforated panels so it could have been windows all along.

They said nothing about it. The only time they mentioned glazing was in relation to East and West facade openings. Construction management plan:

"East and West elevations contain a large rainscreen portal entrances with curtain wall glazing frontage".

They said nothing about it. The only time they mentioned glazing was in relation to East and West facade openings. Construction management plan:

"East and West elevations contain a large rainscreen portal entrances with curtain wall glazing frontage".

But why does it matter if there is glazed windows (that won't even be seen) behind the black perforated panels?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back