New Everton Stadium

Small conductor you say? (Sorry I know he's driving).

View attachment 222548

Seriously though Tom it sounds like a cheap version, they do sound like guided buses. I fully support a Manchester style metrolink on that uses the tunnels and also goes along the dock road (between the Wapping and Waterloo tunnels) and hopefully on to Bramley Moore dock too. I don't think our red Metro Mayor has
any interest in this.

Reg Varney...... that's a blast from the past. I Can remember being taken to the Gaumont Cinema in the Dingle to watch "On the buses" in the early 70's.

Yes, trackless trams are a cheaper option, but that's the point. You can have multiple trackless tram lines serving several routes for the price of one traditional tramline. Also, it would be much easier and cheaper to have lines on commercially-weaker routes that are only busy 20+ times a year. The infrastructure is a line in on the road and perhaps a slightly raised pavement at the stops. That's why a lot of cities are now looking at them instead of traditional trams. If afforded the same segregation, they'll be at least as good, and better near heavily pedestrianised areas. I'm not sure Metrolink is a great example tbh. Their on street performance isn't great around town. A good jogger can out run them around the city centre or anywhere were there's heavy interaction with pedestrians and traffic because they're quite severely speed limited. A rubber wheeled system would be far less so as they have much shorter stopping distances. With a guidance system they might also be able to use the tunnels you mention too.

Better still a Merseyrail extension using the tunnels and linking back into the Northern Line for a northern loop could be superior again, but would need a whole new fully segregated (probably elevated) section to complete the run past BMD. A rebirth of the overhead railway serving Liverpool waters and the whole waterfront perhaps?

Any of which could greatly improve accessibility for BMD.

Runcorn has an airport?

Ladies and gentlemen welcome to Runcorn International where the time is always 1974. :hayee:

Screenshot_20230813_083416_Chrome.webp

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back