New Everton Stadium

In my view in different ways both Spurs and Everton have chosen to do something unique to them. Spurs built a top of the upper range, state of the art twin-use stadium within the modern bowl trend combining the best of US stadium design and a twist of North London (sometimes gratuitously tasteless) flashing of wealth. All sort of at their traditional home.

We are building a purpose built football-first stadium to a bespoke design in an exciting location with strong heritage assets on site and four visually distinctive stand exteriors all adding a quirkiness that indirectly honours Goodison. We get modern facilities and 1/3 more seats at a mid/mid-upper specification but at an upper level cost due to the site and design complexities and quirks. We lose our beloved home but restate our claim to be the club that builds our City, adding a new statement building to a famous waterfront, very much in the optimistic and ambitious footsteps of The Three Graces.

Both of us have lost/are losing wonderful old grounds. There were always going to be regrets and we will never not love Goodison, even when it lapses into memory. How we feel long term will depend both on our surviving our current crisis and on keeping our redevelopment promise to Goodison. With neither of those slam dunks right now and affordability a continuing risk it is not surprising regrets are combining with fears for some of us. Maybe redeveloping Goodison might have placed less stress on our Finances but maybe Moshiri would just have have wasted more money in the transfer market for even longer creating an even bigger mess. Who knows?

Ultimately what ifs won’t fix any of our problems and whilst there are learnings to be taken on board in the future they do not offer solutions for the present. As fans maybe it is time to do what we do best and try to save the club from its own incompetence. Make Goodison a cauldron to help not scare the team and to showcase the potential of this club to anyone better than 777 who might take an interest, now or in the future. We can also highlight the potential benefits of BMD for the club, city and the region.

Optimism is always hard, particularly in a crisis, but in my life experience pessimism has only ever made not solved problems.

Will it trigger some people if I say that after much deliberation, I will not particularly miss Goodison?

I have sat in the ground for over 25 years, seen a few good games, a few European games at a fairly decent level, but that's about it.
The walk to the ground isn't particularly enjoyable, parking is a pain, there's dog muck everywhere. The walk back can be worse cause there's no pub stop to break it up (I accept its my routine that prevents that)

I'm just not sure what I'd miss any more. Apart from time with my Dad and Sons, and that can be literally anywhere, in any stadium.

What's to love so much about Goodison? I sit without an obstructed view, so even my experience is better than many.

You'd hope they would do the quick maths and get the simple task correct of making sure every existing ST holder gets a seat at the new ground and not give too many seats away for hospitality

But then as you say they don't get much right when it comes to ticketing and will soon realise they've over sold the posh seats and regular Joe has to join the long season ticket waiting list o

Again another hidden value of not knowing how long the waiting list is and where you are on it

Only thing they have gotten right is the actual stadium build and the EITC charity
The club won't tell anyone where they are on the list as it's a money making scam to get the membership money off you, I been a member over 4 years ,im 66 now, is it worth me paying anymore ?

Will it trigger some people if I say that after much deliberation, I will not particularly miss Goodison?

I have sat in the ground for over 25 years, seen a few good games, a few European games at a fairly decent level, but that's about it.
The walk to the ground isn't particularly enjoyable, parking is a pain, there's dog muck everywhere. The walk back can be worse cause there's no pub stop to break it up (I accept its my routine that prevents that)

I'm just not sure what I'd miss any more. Apart from time with my Dad and Sons, and that can be literally anywhere, in any stadium.

What's to love so much about Goodison? I sit without an obstructed view, so even my experience is better than many.

They're points I've heard from many people Jacko so I'm sure some will completely agree with you.

For me personally, I love it for a lot of the things you mention you don't.

I've always loved the walk up to the ground (and I've walked up to it from all different directions depending where I've lived. The moment it catches my eye, an adrenalin starts to peak inside and it only gets stronger the closer I get to it. I become fixated with it, the lights of the main stand towering over the bullens road stand walking through Stanley park, the noise of the tannoy getting louder and louder. Dad's with lads, mums with mums, sisters with brothers, boyfriend and girlfreinds holding hands chatting about their day whilst walking at an excited pace just minutes away from the stadium.

I love it, I love everything about it, I feel on top of the world every single time I'm walking towards it.

I've been behind every restricted view, I've sat next to every kind of character I could ever imagine. I've taken all my sisters to the games, been with their fellas to games, took my son to games, mates to games, travelled solo to so many games in wind, rain, sleet, snow, crapped on in the family enclosure, been in the lower bullens with no one else but a mate, moved 20 rows forward in the street end during those mad moments of a goal or a Derby win where limbs are flying everywhere and for a fleeting moment you are on top of the world. I've left the game crying more than I care to admit with anger, frustration and disappointment and tears of happiness where you just hug any random person because in that moment in time, nothing and no one is going to spoil your day. Its your weekend, its your week!

I love it, I'm gonna miss it so much that it actually hurts me a little typing this, genuinely I'm filling up a bit. I don't get to go anywhere near as many times as I wish i could due to work commitments. Even if I did have free time without work I don't think I'd be able to financially commit to as many games as I'd love to and the amount I did when I was younger.

In a blink of an eye, she'll be gone and all we'll have are memories.

Please, enjoy every last moment mate because she's so special and sometimes it really is a case of "you don't know what you've got until its gone".

Goodison, at full pelt is simply one of the most exhilarating and awe inspiring places I've been fortunate to step foot in.

That is something that I'll carry with me until the day I die.

That's what I think anyway Jacko :)

I think the season ticket holders with the most away credits should get the first pick of the seats tbh, it's a disgrace that people who might never have been to a game in their life are being allowed to jump the queue and get a season ticket in these lounges just becauae they have deep pockets.

Don't think anyone should be triggered by someone's personal feelings. Not like your telling people they have to align with your view.

At the moment I sit on the other side of the spectrum, I'm going to the matches for Goodison and not so much to watch Everton. The last few years have been terrible and it's a 15 hour day out for me so I'm justifying the pain in the best way I can. The Luton game was probably my darkest day, was so wet the seats on the coach transferred the dye onto my hoodie and then got a massive cold from sitting in said wet clothes for so long. But then you get days like the Bournemouth one and everything is great.

Like @maccavennie I want to savour every last moment I can before it is gone. However as great Goodison was and is (to the world as one of the very best in its prime and now just to us in a sentimental way) we have to stop looking back to move forward. I'll be very upset on the last day but be equally as happy the first day at BM.

I can relate, been going since the late 70's, like you said, I've also witnessed very few "good times"
I don't enjoy my trips to GP anymore, it's just dad and lad time these days with the inconvenience of a footie match thrown in the mix. I feel like we are living in the dark ages when I look upon the old lady now. Even though Moshiri spruced up the exterior when he 1st arrived, that is now sadly waining.
I can't wait to move, a new start, a new beginning, a new Everton. A club that lives up to its dormant motto "Nil satis nisi optimum"

They're points I've heard from many people Jacko so I'm sure some will completely agree with you.

I've always loved the walk up to the ground (and I've walked up to it from all different directions depending where I've lived. The moment it catches my eye, an adrenalin starts to peak inside and it only gets stronger the closer I get to it. I become fixated with it, the lights of the main stand towering over the bullens road stand walking through Stanley park, the noise of the tannoy getting louder and louder. Dad's with lads, mums with mums, sisters with brothers, boyfriend and girlfreinds holding hands chatting about their day whilst walking at an excited pace just minutes away from the stadium.

I love it, I love everything about it, I feel on top of the world every single time I'm walking towards it.

I've been behind every restricted view, I've sat next to every kind of character I could ever imagine. I've taken all my sisters to the games, been with their fellas to games, took my son to games, mates to games, travelled solo to so many games in wind, rain, sleet, snow, crapped on in the family enclosure, been in the lower bullens with no one else but a mate, moved 20 rows forward in the street end during those mad moments of a goal or a Derby win where limbs are flying everywhere and for a fleeting moment you are on top of the world. I've left the game crying more than I care to admit with anger, frustration and disappointment and tears of happiness where you just hug any random person because in that moment in time, nothing and no one is going to spoil your day. Its your weekend, its your week!

I love it, I'm gonna miss it so much that it actually hurts me a little typing this, genuinely I'm filling up a bit. I don't get to go anywhere near as many times as I wish i could due to work commitments. Even if I did have free time without work I don't think I'd be able to financially commit to as many games as I'd love to and the amount I did when I was younger.

Please, enjoy every last moment mate because she's so special and sometimes it really is a case of "you don't know what you've got until its gone".

Goodison, at full pelt is simply one of the most exhilarating and awe inspiring places I've been fortunate to step foot in.

Even the walk up to it evokes so many memories. The walk up the stairs and seeing the greenest grass you've ever seen resplendent in the glare of the floodlights.
Beautiful.

Great post mate, I would write almost exactly the same thoughts.

Tried mate - got an automated fob off that similar to what @efc84 just shared - they'll be out when they're out.

It just irks when they invite fans to signup to "be the first to hear" of options, and then you see something has sold out that you and most other fans haven't had the chance to even consider. Invite only - where's the transparency? Are they giving businesses etc and favoured friends first dabs over season ticket holders? Understand them giving first dabs to existing lounge holders, but even if 100% of them bought, there still should be availability.
From what I understand from my invitation to look around was that invitations were prioritised as existing members first, then those on the waiting list for corporate tickets (i had to give me corporate tickets up for work a couple of years ago - long story - and back on the waiting list.

As I was invited to look and purchase seats, it was not just one seat I could buy. I was given the option of buying xx seats as long as they are in pairs (2,4,6,8 etc).
It may be the case that those without corporate seats already, or not already on the wait list, may never get alerted on availability due to the above.

Again, that’s my understanding from experience.

Great post mac.

I share your view that leaving will be horrible, its outdated and a shlithole but its our shilthole.
For generations of fans thats our sacred place where we vent our frustration tears happiness, its a place where my great grandad/grandad/dad/uncles/cousins/me/my son and daughter have all been.

Even though right now its crap going ye still get the little bit of hope when approaching the ground knowing what its capable of.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back