New Everton Stadium

They're points I've heard from many people Jacko so I'm sure some will completely agree with you.

For me personally, I love it for a lot of the things you mention you don't.

I've always loved the walk up to the ground (and I've walked up to it from all different directions depending where I've lived. The moment it catches my eye, an adrenalin starts to peak inside and it only gets stronger the closer I get to it. I become fixated with it, the lights of the main stand towering over the bullens road stand walking through Stanley park, the noise of the tannoy getting louder and louder. Dad's with lads, mums with mums, sisters with brothers, boyfriend and girlfreinds holding hands chatting about their day whilst walking at an excited pace just minutes away from the stadium.

I love it, I love everything about it, I feel on top of the world every single time I'm walking towards it...
I don't think words will ever fully capture the magic of Goodison to Evertonians, but this post might be the closest anyone gets. Great work Mac.

Even though we have an 'Old Everton Pictures'thread (which I love) maybe we should have a 'Our Goodison Photographs' thread too? Where we can post our own pictures from years gone by in and around the ground? For me, the pictures of the Old Lady I like best aren't the usual match shots of a player scoring a goal with the main stand or Bullens road in the background... It's the wide angle ones from unusual places, i.e even this one of a half empty ground in 1983 (pinched from the Old Everton Pics thread). A thread full of our own unusual pics not seen in the media, and it could end up being a coffee table book after the Old Lady departs! Anyway, just a thought.

Attachments

• Goodison1.webp
    Goodison1.webp
    82.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I don't think words will ever fully capture the magic of Goodison to Evertonians, but this post might be the closest anyone gets. Great work Mac.

Even though we have an 'Old Everton Pictures'thread (which I love) maybe we should have a 'Our Goodison Photographs' thread too? Where we can post our own pictures in and around the place? For me, the pictures of the Old Lady I like best aren't the usual match shots of a player scoring a goal with the main stand or Bullens road in the background... It's the wide angle ones from unusual places, i.e even this one of a half empty ground in 1983 (pinched from the Old Everton Pics thread). A thread full of our own unusual pics not seen in the media, and it could end up being a coffee table book after the Old Lady departs! Anyway, just a thought.

There is a great old photo (1930s) in one of the better Everton books. Think it's called Goodison Glory. Out of the country at the mo, so can't check. It looks like it was taken from the front row of Bullens Rd upper stand near the corner of the Park end looking towards the near goal and across to the mainstand. If I remember rightly, it was Everton v Southport in the FA Cup. If anyone could post it, it's a great view of the two old stands that have gone. Showing the vast Goodison Road enclosure terrace on the Leitch masterpiece mainstand, with a bumper crowd. We won 9-1.

There is a great old photo (1930s) in one of the better Everton books. Think it's called Goodison Glory. Out of the country at the mo, so can't check. It looks like it was taken from the front row of Bullens Rd upper stand near the corner of the Park end looking towards the near goal and across to the mainstand. If I remember rightly, it was Everton v Southport in the FA Cup. If anyone could post it, it's a great view of the two old stands that have gone. Showing the vast Goodison Road enclosure terrace on the Leitch masterpiece mainstand, with a bumper crowd. We won 9-1.
That would have to be from the main stand if the park end is on the right 😉

Maybe MODs might consider a thread separation moving forward? One for the practical impending reality of BMD and another one for all our thoughts, memories, regrets, hopes and general intense feelings on leaving Goodison. I think it might make for much easier navigation and make both threads more fulfilling. Just a thought.

Thanks.

It's just yet another inane statement and classic trolling because he's unable to engage in any other way.

You should just remind him that when Carlo was our manager he wanted him sacked and replaced by Brendan Rodgers @BullensRoad

Screenshot_20231012_164843_Chrome.webp

@toffee66 fantastic idea for a new thread and one to keep this thread about the new stadium.

Even though we have an 'Old Everton Pictures'thread (which I love) maybe we should have a 'Our Goodison Photographs' thread too? Where we can post our own pictures from years gone by in and around the ground? For me, the pictures of the Old Lady I like best aren't the usual match shots of a player scoring a goal with the main stand or Bullens road in the background... It's the wide angle ones from unusual places, i.e even this one of a half empty ground in 1983 (pinched from the Old Everton Pics thread). A thread full of our own unusual pics not seen in the media, and it could end up being a coffee table book after the Old Lady departs! Anyway, just a thought.

Good idea mate. Every match I went to in my teens I used to take a photo (with a crappy disposable camera ) of where I was sitting (or standing) home and away and put it in a book with my match stub. I'll have to see if I can find any of them. There'll be loads of boss obstructed lower bullens ones lol

Wonder what will become of the regeneration plans for GP if / when 777 complete the take over.
Not sure how it was supposed to be funded but I would image a chunk of if was due to come from our Iranian / Uzbek overlords before the wheels fell off their revenue streams.
In the event Man U are acquired by a Sheikh or equivalent, its clear a huge amount of money is needed to rainproof (never mind genuinely upgrade) Old Trafford. Could we not at least extend the plan B option to the current Man U powers that be that once BMD is available for occupation, they could potentially use GP for an interim period while they work on Old Trafford? They wont be getting offers from anyone else and they dont have the locally accessible Wembley luxury that Spurs had. If they do opt to relocate 'the franchise' to a Wembley/Cardiff rugby stadium, the yellow and green scarve lads will be in uproar. Goodison might be the least worst option they have available.

It's convenient and will be available. With some FA/police planning around conflicting games with the RS (and us in BMD) surely it could be accomodated were there a will. The kicker being that we could charge them an extortionate fee as a consequence. Why not, for example £1m a game.. over 2 seasons that be £50-100m with Euro games and perhaps even WSL games included.. it should be something that has at least been explored in the Royal Liver Building.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back