New Everton Stadium

Picsart_23-11-06_19-13-12-333.webp

@Tom Hughes

Tom, any idea why the club didn’t opt for a cantilever roof on the build of the Main Stand in 1970?

Chelsea did for theirs just a few years later.

I think it was basically a cost-cutting measure. The mainstand cost about £1m, which was a major investment at the time. The back of site was possibly considered a bit too congested and awkward-shaped for back-tied cantilevers at that time. The much cheaper propped truss (post and beam) arrangement was chosen when a full goal-post truss could've at least eliminated the two roof supports greatly reducing the number of obstructed views, but there were very few examples of that in the UK at that time. Celtic managed a full goal post truss in the late 60s.

Yes, Chelsea managed a superior column-free structure a couple of years later, but there were different site restrictions and at double the cost of ours, it practically bust Chelsea for years, resulting in them being relegated and in debt for years.

By comparison, ours was an over engineered obstruction jungle. The architect said his brief was to simply pack in 10k seats and leave a small terrace. It was still considered to be really ambitious at the time. Only a year or 2 later LFC just added a few rows to the back of their old Leitch mainstand and still opted for a post and beam roof. It was a bit of a precarious era, gates were falling generally and several clubs had come unstuck with stadium improvements.

I'm literally in a relationship with a Catholic and she thinks it's sound.

The club are trying to convince people to spend as much time as possible at the ground, it may be that people would like an opportunity to pray without disturbing others while they are there, which may or may not be during a match. I just dont get why people are at all bothered. Personally, I think its a good thing that they are catering to people of all backgrounds.

The Nou Camp had had a prayer room in it since it was built. Many stadiums do, it's a normal thing.

Not reading all that brother. Either way it's a football stadium not a mosque.

I'm literally in a relationship with a Muslim and even she thinks it's bizarre.

Half time pint is nothing compared to going a game and missing a chunk of it to pray. Leg your virtue signalling it's pathetic to be honest.
I knew when I posted that there'd be a 'virtue singalling' response.
It wasn't a personal taunt, it was a matter of opinion.

You've brought your girlfriend in to it and called me pathetic.
I thought you were a decent poster but I've no time for people crying about 'virtue signaling'

Its common decency from the club. Sort your head out. If you dont want to leave the game to pray, dont.
And maybe keep your nose and opinion out of what other people want to do,

I think it was basically a cost-cutting measure. The mainstand cost about £1m, which was a major investment at the time. The back of site was possibly considered a bit too congested and awkward-shaped for back-tied cantilevers at that time. The much cheaper propped truss (post and beam) arrangement was chosen when a full goal-post truss could've at least eliminated the two roof supports greatly reducing the number of obstructed views, but there were very few examples of that in the UK at that time. Celtic managed a full goal post truss in the late 60s.

Yes, Chelsea managed a superior column-free structure a couple of years later, but there were different site restrictions and at double the cost of ours, it practically bust Chelsea for years, resulting in them being relegated and in debt for years.

By comparison, ours was an over engineered obstruction jungle. The architect said his brief was to simply pack in 10k seats and leave a small terrace. It was still considered to be really ambitious at the time. Only a year or 2 later LFC just added a few rows to the back of their old Leitch mainstand and still opted for a post and beam roof. It was a bit of a precarious era, gates were falling generally and several clubs had come unstuck with stadium improvements.

No? It was due to the rights building over the nearby properties;

I knew when I posted that there'd be a 'virtue singalling' response.
It wasn't a personal taunt, it was a matter of opinion.

You've brought your girlfriend in to it and called me pathetic.
I thought you were a decent poster but I've no time for people crying about 'virtue signaling'

Its common decency from the club. Sort your head out. If you dont want to leave the game to pray, dont.
And maybe keep your nose and opinion out of what other people want to do,

Insallah my brother. And yes she agreed you are.

Half time pint is nothing compared to going a game and missing a chunk of it to pray. Leg your virtue signalling it's pathetic to be honest.

???

Thought you were complaining a while ago that I was being homophobic because you were a gay man?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back