New Everton Stadium

There’s no delay

There’s no boom in revenue to be had given the offsetting costs of a mid season move

The club will get months to sell all sorts of Goodison farewell stuff - including bits and pieces from around the ground

There will be no headaches as there would be trying to do it mid-season and in a rush. It wont be fully ready until March anyway, so why would you force a move then?

Like, come on, it’s the right decision and was always going to be the case.

Some context. The Millenium Stadium was referenced earlier. That took a shade over 2 years, (no dock to fill), and reading from the programme from the first match there, on the "Safety is our concern" page, I quote.

"Following 12 months of planning, recruiting, and training stewards, ordering stewards clothing and radios, writing contingency and safety management plans the time has come to put our efforts to the test".

Ergo, as much as I want to be in asap, perhaps it isnt as straight forward as lobbing a bed in your new extension.
Stop such sensible rubbish. It’s never getting completed

There’s no delay

There’s no boom in revenue to be had given the offsetting costs of a mid season move

The club will get months to sell all sorts of Goodison farewell stuff - including bits and pieces from around the ground

There will be no headaches as there would be trying to do it mid-season and in a rush. It wont be fully ready until March anyway, so why would you force a move then?

Like, come on, it’s the right decision and was always going to be the case.

But why won’t it?

I honestly don't see why we would even want to move in to a new stadium mid season, and bring about all the upheaval and uncertainty that would create.

I would also be sceptical that the financial benefits of a mid season move are as substantial as you might think.

Is there a financial benefit to leaving a brand new stadium sat gathering dust for 8 months while we continue to pay for the upkeep of the decrepit old one?

Some context. The Millenium Stadium was referenced earlier. That took a shade over 2 years, (no dock to fill), and reading from the programme from the first match there, on the "Safety is our concern" page, I quote.

"Following 12 months of planning, recruiting, and training stewards, ordering stewards clothing and radios, writing contingency and safety management plans the time has come to put our efforts to the test".

Ergo, as much as I want to be in asap, perhaps it isnt as straight forward as lobbing a bed in your new extension.
Maybe they shouldn't have stated the stadium would be open for the 2024/25 season then?

Were it a cost free decision it would certainly have some logic underpinning it. Trouble is, that's us waving goodbye to revenue from 13,000 odd new seats and a large reduction in corporate income relative to Goodison and all the while we'll be paying interest on construction costs without any uplift in income.

No way have they made that call without something more substantial underpinning it than a desire to offer fans and the first team squad certainty.

I guess all will become clear in the coming months. Hopefully it is as simple as a construction delay and isn't financing related.

How though, how have they lost all that money? they wouldn't be selling 'half season tickets' for the corporate seats, nor will they be adding cost to the current season ticket prices just in case, because apart from anything else, they have no idea how many matches we might actually play there. I wouldn't mind betting that the uplift from moving in early would be quickly swallowed up by factors and issues created by moving in mid-season. Even F&B, it s a contract we give out, they stand to make a bigger profit on it than we do. Something we "might" be able to sort to do ourselves from a new season, contractually.

Is there a financial benefit to leaving a brand new stadium sat gathering dust for 8 months while we continue to pay for the upkeep of the decrepit old one?
There's commercial benefits to be gained from the last season of Goodison. We should be having events, tours, merchandise etc to raise money.

I would be unsure how much benefit we would get from say a January or February move to a new stadium. I'm sure we would make some more money, but how much I don't know. And would it be worth it, for all the lack of clarity over when we can move, going week to week not knowing when we can move potentially - I don't think so personally.

I honestly don't see why we would even want to move in to a new stadium mid season, and bring about all the upheaval and uncertainty that would create.

I would also be sceptical that the financial benefits of a mid season move are as substantial as you might think.
It was ridiculous for the club to even suggest moving in mid season in the first place, logistically there has to be test events, especially at a venue like BMD. Imagine the bad press if the move went tits up? Rather wait a few months and know everything will run smoothly (it won't, i know).

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back