New Everton Stadium

There's commercial benefits to be gained from the last season of Goodison. We should be having events, tours, merchandise etc to raise money.

I would be unsure how much benefit we would get from say a January or February move to a new stadium. I'm sure we would make some more money, but how much I don't know. And would it be worth it, for all the lack of clarity over when we can move, going week to week not knowing when we can move potentially - I don't think so personally.

We sell tours and merchandise already anyway? I went on a Goodison stadium tour in 2004.

Genuinely have yet to hear anyone give me an actual benefit of staying at Goodison for 6 months longer than we need to. All I’ve heard is sentimental “we need to give it a proper farewell” crap. I used to be in the camp that wanted to avoid moving mid season at all costs, but the more I looked into it and thought about it the less sense it made.

From a financial and morale point of view this is a disastrous decision.
What moral point of view is that? When it got announced that we could potentially move mid-season loads where against it. Personally think moving mid-season without a few test events is bad planning. It was probably never going to happen anyway and it was a major mistake to even suggest we would move mid-season.

We sell tours and merchandise already anyway? I went on a Goodison stadium tour in 2004.

Genuinely have yet to hear anyone give me an actual benefit of staying at Goodison for 6 months longer than we need to. All I’ve heard is sentimental “we need to give it a proper farewell” crap. I used to be in the camp that wanted to avoid moving mid season at all costs, but the more I looked into it and thought about it the less sense it made.
Unless the stadium would be ready early in the season, I don't think it would be the right decision.

Costs for Goodison don't just stop the day after we move out. Just like we can't just move in to BMD the day after we get the keys. And it's not just a financial choice too, there's a clear football element to it.

Re Goodison, there are ways to increase commercial revenue in the final year there that won't have been worthwhile in previous years. I'm sure there are smarter people than me who will be able to plan things and generate revenue.

There will be a reason(s). I havnt been local for eons, but maybe transport, external stuff basically, that need to be ready for the move?

Unless the stadium would be ready early in the season, I don't think it would be the right decision.

Costs for Goodison don't just stop the day after we move out. Just like we can't just move in to BMD the day after we get the keys. And it's not just a financial choice too, there's a clear football element to it.

What’s the clear football element? Like we actually have an advantage by playing at Goodison? We’ve won like 10 games there in the past two seasons combined.

There is no reason you can give me that makes logical sense here. I don’t buy into the sentimentality stuff. I just want the club to move forward and leave the past in the past. Goodison is the past. Sorry to anyone that doesn’t want to hear that.

Moving into a stadium like bmd without any test events prior is stupid
Logistical issues etc probably still need solving
The stadium probably isn't going to be ready for next season and they're gobshites for even announcing a mid season move anyway

What’s the clear football element? Like we actually have an advantage by playing at Goodison? We’ve won like 10 games there in the past two seasons combined.

There is no reason you can give me that makes logical sense here. I don’t buy into the sentimentality stuff. I just want the club to move forward and leave the past in the past. Goodison is the past. Sorry to anyone that doesn’t want to hear that.
There's definitely a footballing element to some extent. Playing in one home stadium one week and then playing in another one two weeks later is different and will have some sort of impact.

It's not sentimentality. It's not just finance either. It's also logistics, football, and convenience.

You need transport to be in place for the new stadium. Presumably we will need more staff hired for a much bigger stadium. We will need various test events - it might not be easy to plan those in advance.

I just don't see the benefit of potentially working week to week next winter, not knowing if the stadium is available for the next home game.

Chong - "a comprehensive review of the logistics required, an analysis of the potential impact upon our football operations and, importantly, fan feedback sourced as part of our recent stadium migration survey, which was completed by almost 10,000 Evertonians"

Like when it was announced, most who actually go to GP don't want to move mid-season, who'd of thought? Keep moaning though ;)

How though, how have they lost all that money? they wouldn't be selling 'half season tickets' for the corporate seats, nor will they be adding cost to the current season ticket prices just in case, because apart from anything else, they have no idea how many matches we might actually play there. I wouldn't mind betting that the uplift from moving in early would be quickly swallowed up by factors and issues created by moving in mid-season. Even F&B, it s a contract we give out, they stand to make a bigger profit on it than we do. Something we "might" be able to sort to do ourselves from a new season, contractually.

I don't really know enough about corp hospitality sales to answer with much authority but I'd imagine a not insignificant portion of anticipated additional income from that source would have been of an ad-hoc/ non repeating nature rather than annual. Certainly the couple of times I've gone to events as that sort of punter the companies I've worked for did it as a one off treat for staff at fairly short notice rather than holding a box for a season.

How much all this will cost ultimately comes down to how many games we were expecting to play there. No idea exactly where I got it from but I had the expectation that we'd be in from October at the latest. If that ever was genuinely the case then it's potentially 14 odd home games where the additional revenue would be lost.

If the revenue uplift from that number of games isn't significant enough to justify moving mid season then we really do have problems given the costs we've incurred in getting that extra capacity.

If the plan was for a move later in the season then it's obviously less of an issue.

Either way it isn't the end of the world. Big projects get delayed fairly routinely and you'd assume that risk was factored into the investment decision. I just think it's a bit of a stretch to assume this is a decision we are making voluntarily and happily as the press release would suggest.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back