New Everton Stadium

Isn’t the stadium building cost already secured with the MSP loans meaning that it will continue regardless, I also read the costs could rise by another £50m and the club has already budgeted this as the worse case scenario.

I think it will continue even if the 777 takeover fails
No idea mate. It would have been good to have a proper explanation on the decision. I would be a bit surprised if all the funding is secured for the remainder of the build

As somebody posted earlier, in the last 20-30 years the only team to move in to a new build during the season has been Spurs, despite many of those clubs having the opportunity to move in earlier.

Spurs was a bit of a shambles, wasn't it?

You can draw your own logical conclusions from that, or maybe Jimbob, 26, from Huyton knows more than all these clubs?
I think we will be the last of the traditional clubs to move. It is getting so expensive now most will opt for redevelopments imo.

I think there’s another issues at play here.

@davek is clearly getting his drawers in a twist because Patto is coming into the 1st team and not leaving, so he’s taking it out on poor big BMD only opening after a full final glorious season at the grand old lady of English football.

Cmon Dave - take the Prozac and have a little chill, my sour citrusy friend.

I think we will be the last of the traditional clubs to move. It is getting so expensive now most will opt for redevelopments imo.
It is expensive in many ways, especially if increased construction costs, but I do believe it's also important to consider the context.

We're producing a stadium on a famous waterfront and with complex requirements in terms of building over a recently working dock and water system.

It's also not a small stadium either, with a real push on quality. I know for a fact that many clubs from Europe have come to see our future hospitality offering...

.. and they've impressed. So, while our stadium is going to be £750m or above, we could have built a stadium with the same capacity for a much smaller fee.

The issue is that we'd have not got the stadium where we wanted, and for the standard. If a club was willing to compromise, they could move for less.

Surely a shutdown, complete with losing the workers and machinery to other jobs - followed by a rehire when we restart, would make that a more expensive endeavour.
On a different scale, but the first pause on HS2 cost £150m, so absolutely a pause will add cost rather than prevent it.

It is expensive in many ways, especially if increased construction costs, but I do believe it's also important to consider the context.

We're producing a stadium on a famous waterfront and with complex requirements in terms of building over a recently working dock and water system.

It's also not a small stadium either, with a real push on quality. I know for a fact that many clubs from Europe have come to see our future hospitality offering...

.. and they've impressed. So, while our stadium is going to be £750m or above, we could have built a stadium with the same capacity for a much smaller fee.

The issue is that we'd have not got the stadium where we wanted, and for the standard. If a club was willing to compromise, they could move for less.
Yes I am happy with what we are getting but to put into context if United were to build a new stadium to the size and spec required for their club they would not get change out of 2bn now if they were starting today. Hence they will attempt to modernise what they have at half the cost

For me that's up to the builder in this case. Not sure what was the original timeline but the concept of building just in time is critical for any football club...spurs is a good example. We are not in a financial position to have 2 functioning football stadium for 6 months. The only other alternative is to use the new stadium for events concerts, etc... so that at least there is some income generated from it. I know that for a project of this size is not easy to have a clear roadmap and stick to it...but have the build completed at the end of 2024 is the worst outcome for us from a financial perspective.
I would suggest we are going to have two functional football stadiums for much longer than 6 months. Everton dont immediately divest of Goodison and its expenses when they move into BMD, it will take a while with that project as well. Having the build finished is going to cost the same no matter when its moved into, its just the costs to do the move, and costs to maintain.

Instead I would think its much more costly to manage a midseason move from one stadium to another, and all of the headache and potential for disaster that can come with that. I fully understand the desire to be in the stadium as soon as possible, but it seems to me the far better solution is to give yourself an offseason to prep the new stadium for a glorious, clean, fully sponsor filled opening, clear of logistical nightmares, rather than trying to force it midseason and then having our first matches at the new stadium part of a botched opening and horrible memories. This is far too important to the club to get wrong.

I would suggest we are going to have two functional football stadiums for much longer than 6 months. Everton dont immediately divest of Goodison and its expenses when they move into BMD, it will take a while with that project as well. Having the build finished is going to cost the same no matter when its moved into, its just the costs to do the move, and costs to maintain.

Instead I would think its much more costly to manage a midseason move from one stadium to another, and all of the headache and potential for disaster that can come with that. I fully understand the desire to be in the stadium as soon as possible, but it seems to me the far better solution is to give yourself an offseason to prep the new stadium for a glorious, clean, fully sponsor filled opening, clear of logistical nightmares, rather than trying to force it midseason and then having our first matches at the new stadium part of a botched opening and horrible memories. This is far too important to the club to get wrong.
If we had the money absolutely...we barely have enough to pay the bills. The later you start divesting, the more it's going to cost you...I know that we are probably talking a few millions more, perhaps as many as 10 to 15 millions, but that's money we may need for summer signings

Thanks to Mr Drone we can all finally relax, the pitch does fit...

1000011786.webp

Yes let's be Tottenham and have to keep moving the date back to open the new ground constantly because it wasn't properly tested. Give your heads a wobble.

Spurs' issues shouldn't have happened in the first place if the people building it hadn't messed up.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back