New Everton Stadium

Unfortunately, that argument goes both ways though. Buying something very expensive that bankrupts you in the process, could also lead to your real and full demise (far more quickly)..... before you've even had a chance to sit in it, nevermind seeing any benefit! Especially if your only prospective new owners are carpet-bagging, ambulance-chasing, loan-shark chancers..... !! So yes, investing to increase revenue/value/perception/status is essential.....but it also always has its limits.

More importantly however, it was never a question of having either a dilapidated Goodison or a brand new BMD. There were always a range of options, with multiple incremental alternatives in between. We could've also had a modernised Goodison with £100m, £150m spent on it to achieve 53k+ capacity, or £200m upto say £400m spent on it, that could've easily yielded a much larger 65k+ capacity stadium, with history/tradition preserved, and tried and tested public transport already in place. Admittedly, no Royal blue Mersey on the doorstep (hasn't stopped us singing about it for generations). But probably the finest stadium face-off in World football. With no FFP/PSR wolves at the door and no possibility of administration staring us right in the face.
I think we had gone for another option many would have pointed to a lack of ambition. This scheme was even accused of that with many wanting 60k+ capacity. They took a calculated risk which could well come back to bite us. We have been extremely unfortunate with the number of uncontrollables that have gone against us.

However, worth noting this is a project for the next 50 years plus. On one hand I am envious of Liverpool remaining at their spiritual home but will that prove to be the right decision for them if United end up moving into a new 90k + modern super stadium earning twice the match day revenue. For us I think a fresh start after several decades in the wilderness feels right

I think we had gone for another option many would have pointed to a lack of ambition. This scheme was even accused of that with many wanting 60k+ capacity. They took a calculated risk which could well come back to bite us. We have been extremely unfortunate with the number of uncontrollables that have gone against us.

However, worth noting this is a project for the next 50 years plus. On one hand I am envious of Liverpool remaining at their spiritual home but will that prove to be the right decision for them if United end up moving into a new 90k + modern super stadium earning twice the match day revenue. For us I think a fresh start after several decades in the wilderness feels right
Do you mean our old house?

This shows that at some point emotional ties are reduced (Anfield) and new stronger ties are forged (Goodison). This process will no doubt repeat and over time, new generations will have much stronger ties with BMD.
When the new place is ready to move in and before we've started to knock down GP, the club should bring out commemorative aerial photos showing the 3 ground we've played in since the first league season with the dates we played there.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back