New Everton Stadium

Shame though, they could have added around three thousand more seats in that section and a bigger concourse overhang and more space underneath for busses and pedestrians. When the fence is taken away and the new border is right up to our boundary it is going to look very tight regarding pedestrians and traffic, cars etc...Going down that section to park at the rear of the stadium on the waterfront. I believe the away fans will be using that corner to gain access, could all get very chaotic.

I agree with all of this bar the last sentence. We should have pushed for it, there is still mountains of space for them even with the current set up. We could have still given them one side of the gate for access from the South and portion off an area that will allow the biggest of vehicles to use it without issue. Like you say we could have had a 56k stadium without much more effort.

That wasn't to be and trying to do that now wouldn't be worth the cost for the extra few thousand seats it would give.

As @allen replied the space there is no worse than what happens at the Bullens Road now (in fact should be better as the foot traffic is all heading in the same direction) so it is a case of perception as the diagram below shows:

Screenshot_20240228_171932_Gallery.webp

It might look tight, but perceiving scale is a big problem for us at the moment: this ground dwarves our natural comparison of Goodison, and we can’t get near to it to properly appreciate the size of that space.

I’ve just fired up the 1:500 plans in Illustrator to measure it properly.

The gap between the stadium wall and the boundary line is 11.99m on the East Elevation and 11.97m on the pedestrian access plan.

So I think ~12m is a fairly reliable measurement.

By comparison (and according to the measuring tool on Google Maps) including pavements Goodison Road is 9.7m wide, Gwladys Street is 9.9m wide and Bullens Road is 10.6m wide.

So it’s wider than all of those.

The biggest difference with GP is that apart from along the Gwladys St end, there are multiple side streets and people filter off in all directions north, south, east and west. So, for comparison, you have to imagine enclosing 3 sides of Goodison and making everyone circum-navigate to exit the site from one open side (and adding 13,000 more people into the equation). Yes, in BMDs case, the new plaza should act as a really good congestion buffer, before everyone then has to negotiate exiting the few site gates.

The interaction with away fans post match might be another issue, in that at BMD they will be exposed to sharing that space with the home support as a whole. At present, the only interaction is at that one corner, and the vast majority don't even see the aways fans after the match, but it can get a bit feisty at times...... so that might add to the "dynamic".... presumably some club's fans will be kept back. It will be interesting to see how the dispersal works out.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back