New Everton Stadium

As others have mentioned, a lot of it will have come down to the economics of it... The cost to install the final 10,000 seats is greater than the cost to install the first 10,000, but they will also be sold cheaper as they'll be further away from the pitch... So the numbers don't stack up.

The average attendance at Goodison last season was around 39000. If we (and I'm sure we will) sell out the new ground every week, you're talking an average attendance of maybe 51000 (got to assume away fans won't sell out every week). That's a 12000 jump, or a 30% increase on GP. These are significant numbers.
Yes your right, it is more expensive to install the last 10,000 seats than the first, it also even more expensive to add the those additional seats later down the line. Which I believe they will have to do at some point, the fan base will only ever grow and need for additional seats becomes greater.
The stadium is for the next 100-150 years, 52,000 is simply not enough. Future expansion is certain.

Yes your right, it is more expensive to install the last 10,000 seats than the first, it also even more expensive to add the those additional seats later down the line. Which I believe they will have to do at some point, the fan base will only ever grow and need for additional seats becomes greater.
The stadium is for the next 100-150 years, 52,000 is simply not enough. Future expansion is certain.

In your opinion.

Ultimately, we don't know. We may well get relegated next season and never return to the top flight... We wouldn't sell out the 52k seats every week, let alone 60k+, if that were to happen.

I can't wait to see the finished thing and see us playing in it, no matter how many seats there are in there.

Key Financial Advice 101.
Past performance is no guide to future performance

In your opinion.

Ultimately, we don't know. We may well get relegated next season and never return to the top flight... We wouldn't sell out the 52k seats every week, let alone 60k+, if that were to happen.

I can't wait to see the finished thing and see us playing in it, no matter how many seats there are in there.
Could win the league in 10-20 years and become elite then what. I’m not basing the capacity on performances just facts.
Last 30 years this club has been mediocre, yet fan base continues to grow year on like most clubs. That’s just down to people living longer, population increases and the interest of the sport locally and globally.
As you said that’s my opinion, and make no mistake I’m just excited as anyone to be sitting in that new ground next year.

An extra 12000 capacity will get us through for a good number of years. The biggest reason for a new stadium being needed is to increase the money that it will generate, and the extra corporate seating and the possibility of attracting events during the summer months, like Swifty the other week at the pit, will achieve that more than ordinary fans paying their 40 or 50 quid for a ticket.
As for the certainty of future expansion, I`d not be holding my breath waiting to see any major expansion to the capacity other than any difference standing would make due to the structure of the roof which would make it a huge project for a small capacity increase. The best example is Juve with their capacity of about 42000. Small enough looking capacity, but they are making good money from corporate and I expect other events outside the football season.

An extra 12000 capacity will get us through for a good number of years. The biggest reason for a new stadium being needed is to increase the money that it will generate, and the extra corporate seating and the possibility of attracting events during the summer months, like Swifty the other week at the pit, will achieve that more than ordinary fans paying their 40 or 50 quid for a ticket.
As for the certainty of future expansion, I`d not be holding my breath waiting to see any major expansion to the capacity other than any difference standing would make due to the structure of the roof which would make it a huge project for a small capacity increase. The best example is Juve with their capacity of about 42000. Small enough looking capacity, but they are making good money from corporate and I expect other events outside the football season.
I agree that currently it’s right for now, but people seem to think that it’s okay for next 150 years hahah. Safe standing should be already in place like Germany but I just can’t see it being like that in my opinion, which is shame. Might improve the ratio but I’ll be surprised if it’s anything like it is other countries.

Could win the league in 10-20 years and become elite then what. I’m not basing the capacity on performances just facts.
Last 30 years this club has been mediocre, yet fan base continues to grow year on like most clubs. That’s just down to people living longer, population increases and the interest of the sport locally and globally.
As you said that’s my opinion, and make no mistake I’m just excited as anyone to be sitting in that new ground next year.

Contradicting yourself there mate.

If in 10-20 years time we are a member of the elite, our income will match that, in which case the argument to expand might get stronger.

I'm not convinced myself.

Ahh okay. Past performance of the last 30 years haven’t stoped this fan base growing. Naturally it just grows and grows.
I didn't necessarily mean (just) On Field performance...in fact, that never entered my thoughts tbh...rather that economic and/or social changes might happen
People might just get fed up with the whole Premier League, VAR, etc shizshow
You can never say never
Edit 1; habits change, I mean 30, 40 yes ago who thought that people would stop going to pubs

In golf terms Meis & EFC took the %percentage 52,888 shot, not the Hail Mary, 61,878 on to an obstructed green shot

Edit 2; Oh and there were short term financial and planning reasons too

Last edited:
Contradicting yourself there mate.

If in 10-20 years time we are a member of the elite, our income will match that, in which case the argument to expand might get stronger.

I'm not convinced myself.
Sorry I probably didn’t communicate that right. What I mean is in the last 30 years the club have done nothing but our fan base has grown. I just think that’s just natural trend that will only continue to go up, unless the club implodes which is highly unlikely being realistic.

I agree that currently it’s right for now, but people seem to think that it’s okay for next 150 years hahah. Safe standing should be already in place like Germany but I just can’t see it being like that in my opinion, which is shame. Might improve the ratio but I’ll be surprised if it’s anything like it is other countries.
The only part of the stadium I don`t like is the way the roof is structured. It makes adding extra seating on the west or east stand a big job, before even taking into account the hoops that we`d have to go through with planning. But if it becomes necessary we`ll get it done (only took us since first talking about it in the 80`s to actually get to building a new stadium in 2024).

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back