New Everton Stadium

I didn't necessarily mean (just) On Field performance...in fact, that never entered my thoughts tbh...rather that economic and/or social changes might happen
People might just get fed up with the whole Premier League, VAR, etc shizshow
You can never say never
In golf terms Meis & EFC took the %percentage 52,888 shot, not the Hail Mary, 61,878 on to an obstructed green shot

Edit; Oh and there were short term financial and planning reasons too
I agree that I can’t say never, but which is more likely, we stay as we have for however how long
I didn't necessarily mean (just) On Field performance...in fact, that never entered my thoughts tbh...rather that economic and/or social changes might happen
People might just get fed up with the whole Premier League, VAR, etc shizshow
You can never say never
In golf terms Meis & EFC took the %percentage 52,888 shot, not the Hail Mary, 61,878 on to an obstructed green shot

Edit; Oh and there were short term financial and planning reasons too
I agree with you that can never say never. And you make valid points regarding VAR the corrupt league etc, but i just feel that the fan base will only get stronger like most clubs. But that’s my opinion okay and I respect your opinion

The only part of the stadium I don`t like is the way the roof is structured. It makes adding extra seating on the west or east stand a big job, before even taking into account the hoops that we`d have to go through with planning. But if it becomes necessary we`ll get it done (only took us since first talking about it in the 80`s to actually get to building a new stadium in 2024).
And that’s all I was saying when replying to someone about possible expansion. That it can be done, but it will cost more to do it the future due to design of the roof than being doing now. And I agree with you that if the need arise it will get done. Even if takes decades.

Sorry I probably didn’t communicate that right. What I mean is in the last 30 years the club have done nothing but our fan base has grown. I just think that’s just natural trend that will only continue to go up, unless the club implodes which is highly unlikely being realistic.

Ahh fair enough. What are basing fan base growth on? Are there numbers anywhere?

Sure in the past Barcelona dug down below the pitch level and added more seats. Don't know whether I've made that up, :lol: but I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before.
you can only do that if there is currently a large enough gap between bottom row of seats and the pitch. As we have the minimum allowance at BMD, I doubt that is possible, The pitch defo wouldn't fit then

Future-proofing has always been an important factor in stadium proposals, for all the reasons people have stated. It's slightly strange now to think that the club/Wyness rejected the Loop site, because they said it wasn't expandable to 75k in the future. Yet here we are discussing the choice of 52k at BMD.

Obviously, how important that is to the key decision-makers, is at least partly influenced by how long they intend to stick around. If the owner was only packaging the club for a quick high value sale, then they were probably going to be a little more conservative in capacity terms, but perhaps ambitious in terms of the site/design.... especially when site prep costs alone were so high.

Obviously, BMD is a far superior architectural statement than Destination Kirkby, but at the same time the Kirkby stadium had some future-proofing built in, in that it was far simpler and cheaper to be expanded to 60k, via corner-filling. BMD's roof is its main design signature, which could be significantly changed or compromised by expansion. So future-proofing in terms of stadium expansion (and site choice) doesn't seem to have been a priority.

Ahh fair enough. What are basing fan base growth on? Are there numbers anywhere?
I’m just going off the top of my head, but like season ticket retention at its highest ever level. Season ticket waiting list has gone up last 10 years, the whole social media platform, twitter, YouTube, instagram etc shown yearly increases in followers.
It’s like that for most clubs too like wolves, Fulham etc, not just the big club elite clubs.

Sure in the past Barcelona dug down below the pitch level and added more seats. Don't know whether I've made that up, :lol: but I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before.
I guess that would depend on how much space previously existed between the pitch and the stands - we have none and very little footprint outside of the stadium so I would guess that wouldn’t be an option

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back