New Everton Stadium

I’m retired now but I would have been pushing my company to use the conference facilities at BMD between completion and the first fixture.

There will be demand, it depends on what the club wants to do as regards an “opening” date.

I also take issue with you repeatedly telling everyone that 60k was about the Commonwealth Games.

The move to BM / 60k capacity was never based on the CWG I remember it was mooted clearly it was out there. But let's not mix the two. Again another misdirection.

The club downgraded from the original 60k size because they were playing it safe. They didn't think we could fill such a size. That was absolutely nothing to do with the CWG not coming to Liverpool.

The football club have for too long been cautious and undersold the fan base. Deciding on a 52k capacity instead of 60k was very puzzling indeed. But clearly finances plays a part too.

Fans shouldn't assume the the club moving to a new stadium as being "ambitious" when moving to a new stadium was infact a necessity ~ more so because of a lack of modernisation at Goodison Park for the best part of 30 years. Lets not forget not only was the Park End half the size it should have been, but It was paid for or part funded by the Football Trust!!!

The Kenwright years..... Someone should write a book about that.

The 60k+ proposal was dropped as soon as the CWG bid died. That was not a coincidence. There was then a second round of consultation, after which, the 52k proposal emerged with the stadium in a North-south configuration. The whole BMD site proposal was initially underpinned by a LCC CWG bid for the 2026 games. This would've attracted several hundred million pounds worth of funding and enabling projects. Unfortunately, the collapse of the Durban games pulled that whole window forward by 4 yrs and the viability was probably no longer there. Over £750m then went to the Brum games and 60k+ BMD became 52k BMD.

I don't disagree with your assessment of the Kenwright years.

The end of that is amazing.
It's 'kin beautiful.
And it's ours.

Can't wait to just plonk my arse on a seat and sit and soak it in. Stunning

Not really watched many of the build videos. Been detached from anything positive about the club really for a long time.

But it is really incredible isn't it and testament to the design and build guys.

Don't think anyone has had to wait this long before handover and the first game/real event. Even the Olympic stadium had it's first test event end of March ahead of the late July opening.

Spurs bashed through their test events in a week to get it signed off for the first team to play asap.
This might've been because they were paying for Wembley on a week by week basis?
It's likely there will be a youth team, Women's and possibly legends games held with increasing attendances.

These last few barrel pieces on the east side are like an Everton transfer saga. Everything looks set to be better done then high winds scupper our plans for a week. Now we seem to be putting in a few a day. I am checking every hour for a video with the completed section but each one takes us only a couple of sections closer to completion. It better be done today or otherwise I will lose my sh!t. Its just a good job there isn't an EvertonBarrellSectionHotline because it would be costing me a fortune in phone bills.

It's really coming together now.

We've paid a premium for it, and it seems we're shunting money from one account to another to keep it going, but it does feel like we've done something the right way for once. For a stadium that could be our home for a century I think it's critical that we've tried to get this thing done properly.

Also, UNESCO can gtf.

Is there anything anywhere that says the capacity can’t be increased in the future? I don’t see anything yet people keep saying it. Or is it just speculating as usual?

While the bowl design is more simplistic than the multi levels of corporate tiers at NWHL, this image really makes me think its ideal for atmosphere. Steep banking, sweeping around the corners, and just a mass of limbs. Can't wait till it opens.

1720095138617.webp

These last few barrel pieces on the east side are like an Everton transfer saga. Everything looks set to be better done then high winds scupper our plans for a week. Now we seem to be putting in a few a day. I am checking every hour for a video with the completed section but each one takes us only a couple of sections closer to completion. It better be done today or otherwise I will lose my sh!t. Its just a good job there isn't an EvertonBarrellSectionHotline because it would be costing me a fortune in phone bills.
I'm gonna drive past on my way home later to see if it's done, grab some pics.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back