New Everton Stadium

As someone who has been to Lucas Oil stadium it is a mixed bag. Some of the internal views are terrible for a modern stadium which is task one. The giant retractable glazing certainly offers stunning external views open and closed but it is only possible because fans are heavily weighted to the sides not ends in NFL stadia. The retractable roof is spectacular. Hard to judge atmosphere as US crowds are so passive.

Externally it is a bit of a mess visually with too many in your face features making it hard to truly get a clean impression. My takeaway was that nothing quite hung together. Finally, like pretty much every NFL stadium, it sits next to a vast featureless car park with a rather token line of trees passing for landscaping. A lot more thought has gone into the plaza at BMD and Western Terrace.

In summary it has things I really liked and things I really didn’t. It is better than most US football stadia but that is a low bar as most of them are concrete bowls. The new temples of owner hubris in steel and glass with Tottenham style internal excess are not to my taste but I understand why some like eg the JerryDome or SoFi in the same way they might like a certain type of excessive 6/7* luxury hotel. For me Lucas Oil architecturally is not a patch on the really interesting modern baseball parks like Camden Yards, Oracle Park and PNC Park.

Ok see where you are coming from. You would rather that they went the whole hog with a Lucas oil stadium type design
What a statement this would have been...the Sofi Stadium, LA, the Rams and Charger's home stadium.

220207192727-09-sofi-stadium-super-bowl-preview.jpg

I like the Lucas oil stadium but if we had gone down that road people would say its just a cheaper version of that.ours is totaly unique in my opinion.
I love the 'Birds Nest' in Beijing. Externally anyway, it's spectacular. But something like that wouldn't fit as well into its surroundings as BM does currently.

1722638608138.png

The design not only had to be iconic (which it is, IMO) but it also needed to consider the immediate and future surrounding area. We'd have struggled to get through planning with a design that was completely out of sync with its surroundings.

I've been down to the stadium quite a number of times over the last 3 years (although not in the past few months).

I have to say, it took my breath away yesterday. It's awesome.

If anyone hasn't seen it up close yet, be prepared to be blown away.

Thoughts reciprocated Dave, seen it from the Liverpool side a lot and from the other side of the Wirral it was a serious wow factor.

The location is a game changer imo.

LCC need to grow something and a major cruise terminal.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back