New Everton Stadium

Interesting discussion on modern stadia design. I've always been far less interested in stadium exteriors than their interiors, and I've always felt that the internal arrangement is by far the main defining design feature. Yes, their are some notable exceptions such as the old Wembley towers for instance.... but generally, I think most of us can more readily recognise different stadiums by the internal views of stands etc. After all, most of us only view those stadiums for the moments it takes to access them.... then spend the next 2 hrs inside. The externals also do not affect the performance of the stadium in any way. Many of the world's greatest stadia have next to no external features of any note.... in fact, many shout functionality or austere blandness itself. The apparent message being that for stadia, the "good stuff" is on the inside.

I remember engaging with an Esports team, who wer looking to locate in Liverpool with a purpose built e-sports arena. The biggest issue they were having was that every architectural outfit wanted the external design to make a statement. All they wanted was an incredibly high tech interior. They wanted entirely function over form, whereas architects couldn't get their heads around that mindset. Simply wanted a big black box, with loads of cool stuff inside.

That's the extreme to what your saying, but to many what happens inside increases the level of experience far more than the outside.

I presume the 'Dixie' Dean statue makes the journey to the new stadium?

If so, how can one be left and the other taken?

….i’ve no idea what the plans are but if one or both are left I’d imagine they’d be wide open to vandalism. I think there’ll be security at BMD.

My own view is they’d look great on that concourse and should move there.

Last edited:
I remember engaging with an Esports team, who wer looking to locate in Liverpool with a purpose built e-sports arena. The biggest issue they were having was that every architectural outfit wanted the external design to make a statement. All they wanted was an incredibly high tech interior. They wanted entirely function over form, whereas architects couldn't get their heads around that mindset. Simply wanted a big black box, with loads of cool stuff inside.

That's the extreme to what your saying, but to many what happens inside increases the level of experience far more than the outside.
Look at that new co-op live in Manchester, that is essentially a black box, but it’s built for the future inside and will probably mean the end of the AO Arena which is outdated inside and outside.

….i’ve no idea what the plans are but if one or both are left I’d imagine they’d be wide open to vandalism. I think there’ll be security at BMD.

My own view is they’d look great on that concourse and should move there.

And maybe add a Neville Southall one, I too think they would look great in the fan plaza, they should move with us.

Ha Ha Ha.

FFS, yeah, let's leave them there for feral youth to topple over and launch them through the local 'Vape-all-U-like' / 'Tattoo-and Tayto' shop window.

This club is beyond it sometimes.
Why aren’t they doing it now? Oh that’s right they weigh a ton and need cranes to lift them. Can’t see a few Walton/kirkdale lads toppling them, let alone picking them up and throwing them through a shop window.

If it could be done it would’ve been done already. Especially last night.

Dixie’s been vandalised how many times? Twice. They’ll be fine.

Sure I read that all statues stay where they are.
That was defo case with the regeneration / legacy plans, but that all seems to have gone a bit quiet since the last board got pumped.
Not sure if there’s either the finances or will to do any of that GP legacy stuff anymore, which would be a real shame for the area.
If it gets canned (or has already), I can’t see the statues staying there tbh.

BMD is not perfect but it is a lot better than eg The Emirates. My Arsenal supporting wife, family and neighbours all understand the value to them of the new ground but they don’t particularly like it, let alone love it. It will never be Highbury. Maybe that missing emotional connection is slowly coming as new generations of fans grow up in the new stadium but I think we will have that connection day one at BMD. That is actually remarkable given how much so many of us were dreading leaving Goodison.

Really good point.

Highbury was a bit like Goodison. In fact the two side stands even more architecturally recognised. That's why they haven't knocked it down.

Don't get me wrong about BM this isn't sour grapes but I have been 100% with Meis's version from the very start. And now from the outside, I'm like, yeah it's okay, it's different. But it's nothing amazing. The roof design and the glass is amazing (although would have preferred a proper covered stadium translucent).
The brick panels and the black indents doesn't do it for me. It's supposedly modelled on the Tobacco warehouse yet it looks nothing like that.

I see people post and say "the thing of beauty" and stuff like that. I don't see that at all.

Inside is really big and modern but again I had reservations from the start. But that's the way it is. It is what it is and no point moaning about it.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back