New Everton Stadium

I don't think it is an all or nothing situation but certainly some familiar things should be moved to BMD to immediately anchor the feeling that is the home of Everton.

The holy trinity statue is a relatively new addition to the Goodison landscape and imo could be moved whereas the Dixie Dean statue is a landmark for Goodison and should remain there.

However, a series of Statues to Everton 's greatest players at BMD would be something worth seeing imo.

Bit of iron from the girders on Gwladys and Bullens will do me.

We need to learn from the alienation felt by other fans when they left their old stadiums. Why would we dismiss or ignore those lessons they learned and the knowledge they can pass onto us?

You can see how familiar objects would help ease the transition. And as others have pointed out, you cant leave anything around Goodison as they'll be either completely ignored, damaged or built over. That's all besides the point that a lot of people have those statues built into their remembrance of loved ones.

If a decision to leave them behind has been taken then it'll have to be reversed.

That would be my take on this. Leaving the statues behind would be stupid as they would fall into disrepair, they would look fabulous placed at BMD where they would remain looked after for decades to come……

We need to learn from the alienation felt by other fans when they left their old stadiums. Why would we dismiss or ignore those lessons they learned and the knowledge they can pass onto us?

You can see how familiar objects would help ease the transition. And as others have pointed out, you cant leave anything around Goodison as they'll be either completely ignored, damaged or built over. That's all besides the point that a lot of people have those statues built into their remembrance of loved ones.

If a decision to leave them behind has been taken then it'll have to be reversed.
1000017715.webp

Anyone doubting the wisdom of bringing stuff from Goodison to the dock stadium should read all about how other club's fans craved for such 'furniture' to be moved to their new stadiums: the City and Arsenal supporters found the move to new surroundings very disorienting in their first few seasons. The Arsenal fans were helped by the clock at the Clock End being brought to the Emirates - part of an 'Arsenalisation' process at the new stadium.

When fans move stadiums there's a rupturing that takes place and the taking of familiar furniture like statues and the like are a way of making that rupture less painful in the initial transfer years.

This alienation is a real thing and we should anticipate it happening to Evertonians at the new stadium. We're no different to other fans that make this move. To leave behind the Holy Trinity and Dean statues is purblind. We need to establish quickly a sense of place at the dock stadium, so bringing stuff like this with us - and more besides - can help in that respect.

This is a decent - not overly academic - article that underlines all this.

Great Word!!

There are quite a few architectural reminders of Goodison built into BMD to remind the ever faithful fans of where we came from. My personal belief though is that the statues should be brought to within the boundary of BMD and replicas or plaques placed at the Goodison site.

Can anyone confirm they’re building another wind farm turbine right next to the west stand by the river?

Great news if so, recollecting the rain water, solar panels, and if this is true we’ll have the most sustainable and environmentally friendly stadium in the league.

Not remotely the same. If the club were bringing across the buttressing itself (as Sunderland I think did in their new stadium by sticking a section in the club museum), then that'd undermine what Ilm saying. But they're not doing that are they? They're using the criss-cross motif on railings and brickwork (allegedly it's on the brickwork in any case).

What I'm talking about is physical artefacts from the old stadium shifted to the new stadium.

You do know that they're statues, not the actual people they're depicting, don't you? In much the same way that the Leitch motif isn't the actual leitch steelwork, the statue isn't the real Dixie Dean.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back