New Everton Stadium

All that stuff

Having started going in the mid 90s, all that good stuff is before my time.

And from a non football point of view, the experience of being in there is horrible. The toilets in the gwladys street pretty much sum up the club...stuck in the 80s.

I get the previous generations to me cherishing those memories, but beyond family related memories (which is of course very important to me), there's only a few games here and there. Looking forward to making new family memories from next year.

Being realistic, those won't involve winning things, so it has to be more about the match day experience
I would agree with this, whilst I love Goodison there is definitely an element of it being a visible reminder of a club that has been poorly run off the pitch through a huge patch of the PL era.

Firstly in failing to undertake a development plan in the 90s, and then failing multiple times to secure a new stadium, BMD points to a glimmer of hope for the future

If you take the 3 London sides who moved stadiums they all invested in redeveloping their previous stadiums in the PL era prior to moving, we didn't do that, as a teenager in the 90s with an interest in stadium development I was gutted when we went for the cheap one tier option at the park end rather then a two tier larger stand with exec facilities, i honestly think if we'd been more ambitious then a rolling redevelopment of Goodison would have been potentially feasible

It seems the club perhaps went for the park end as a stop gap before a new stadium, but that then didn't happen for 25 years

I would agree with this, whilst I love Goodison there is definitely an element of it being a visible reminder of a club that has been poorly run off the pitch through a huge patch of the PL era.

Firstly in failing to undertake a development plan in the 90s, and then failing multiple times to secure a new stadium, BMD points to a glimmer of hope for the future

If you take the 3 London sides who moved stadiums they all invested in redeveloping their previous stadiums in the PL era prior to moving, we didn't do that, as a teenager in the 90s with an interest in stadium development I was gutted when we went for the cheap one tier option at the park end rather then a two tier larger stand with exec facilities, i honestly think if we'd been more ambitious then a rolling redevelopment of Goodison would have been potentially feasible

It seems the club perhaps went for the park end as a stop gap before a new stadium, but that then didn't happen for 25 years

One of the main difference between us and the London clubs is the level of corporate demand available. Both Spurs and Arsenal could practically fund their new stadia via the projected income from these whole corporate tiers with the high number of exec boxes. 150 at The Emirates and 80 at NWHL. Hence the reason why they had no problems securing the finances. West Ham got a freeby, so there isn't really a comparison. In the 90s, Everton had the luxury of requiring the least outlay to achieve approx 40k and satisfy all of the Taylor report requirements.... so they simply did the absolute bare minimum, with the Park end mainly funded by a grant. Neither Highbury nor WHL achieved 40k on their existing footprints. Arsenal was also hampered by having 2 listed stands and being surrounded by similarly listed housing. Tbf to those clubs though, in the 90s, most felt that 35-40k would suffice in the all seated era. Ever since, the mentality at Everton was always about trying to get a stadium mainly funded by others or via enabling schemes. Throughout the Kenwright years, an era were money as been flooding into the game we have always seemed to be perpetual paupers.

your in for a long wait

I don’t get this to be honest .
I have a pint and something to eat before the match and after the match now.
I go to the ground to watch football.
To be honest , I will do my drinking and eating in town after we move , or in the bars and eateries which are already springing up in and around the ten streets area.
I'll probably do both. I was just explaining that I am looking forward to moving into a brand new stadium with top facilities. Shouldn't I be?

I am old enough to have seen us win the title v QPR and beat Bayern at Goodison but it is really thirty years past its use by date. If the Carter/Dunford regime had more foresight and ambition a rolling redevelopment starting with a better Park End might have been deliverable but that moment was lost and every owner since then (Johnson, Kenwright, Moshiri) has seen a new build as the answer.

We are fortunate to be getting a location, design and build that might prove to be a worthy successor but Goodison is where I saw my first game with my great-grandfather, grandfather and Dad. Where I took my son and daughter to their first game. Where I made many friends, a few sadly no longer with us. Leaving will be hard but it is necessary.

I just hope we can navigate the financial stresses BMD has contributed to with new ownership who can help give us a future there worthy of the best of our Goodison past. Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

I believe I saw images in an old programme where they Plans to modernise goodison park, under Carter. Think Bill scrapped it.

All that stuff

Having started going in the mid 90s, all that good stuff is before my time.

And from a non football point of view, the experience of being in there is horrible. The toilets in the gwladys street pretty much sum up the club...stuck in the 80s.

I get the previous generations to me cherishing those memories, but beyond family related memories (which is of course very important to me), there's only a few games here and there. Looking forward to making new family memories from next year.

Being realistic, those won't involve winning things, so it has to be more about the match day experience
Match day experience is about winning things , well the odd game would be nice 😁
Everything else is peripheral or irrelevant for me personally.
The hospitality side of the stadium holds little or no interest .
Drinking in new stadiums is a soulless experience of plastic cups and overpriced scran .But of course I realise the ‘stadium experience’ isn’t really designed for the likes of myself , it’s for those who desire and can afford the lounges and such like . It is from those people the extra revenue will emanate, hopefully.

Last edited:

I'll probably do both. I was just explaining that I am looking forward to moving into a brand new stadium with top facilities. Shouldn't I be?
Actually you should be.
I think I was just reacting a little bit to people constantly denigrating Goodison .
I was born and raised in Walton , and I was one of those little scallywags who minded ‘your car please sir ‘ back in the day 😁
Goodison has been my second home and I will be extremely sad to leave .
I always supported the build , design and location of the new ground and especially the financial necessity.
For me though , my heart will always be at Goodison Park .
I hope the new ground can replicate the atmosphere and for those younger than myself it will develop its own history and sense of place .
I am too old and set in my ways now , it’s a ground for the young and hopeful not the old and disillusioned.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back