Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Northern Lights.....revisited

Pootsy

Player Valuation: £20m
I was out for a dander last night and noticed what looked like a weird cloud formation. Kind of looked like light produced above a town/city coming in off the sea. Took my phone out to get a picture, set it to long exposure and BOOM. At the grand old age of nearly 50, I saw the Northern Lights for the first time.

Isn't it weird that you can't see the colours with your naked eye? I wonder if you can once you get up into the Arctic Circle?

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-12 at 23.31.22_65bd5476.webpWhatsApp Image 2024-08-12 at 23.28.14_6c40c3f2.webp

I was out for a dander last night and noticed what looked like a weird cloud formation. Kind of looked like light produced above a town/city coming in off the sea. Took my phone out to get a picture, set it to long exposure and BOOM. At the grand old age of nearly 50, I saw the Northern Lights for the first time.

Isn't it weird that you can't see the colours with your naked eye? I wonder if you can once you get up into the Arctic Circle?

View attachment 268700View attachment 268699
The sensors in a ccd in a camera are way more sensitive to coloured light than our retinas - that's why.
Great pictures by the way - jealous they didn't reach as far south as Wiltshire this time.

Let you eyes adjust for 5/10 minute without looking at your phone and you’ll pick up the hues better. The lens sees it all though.

Hope you enjoyed the moment, they’re ace. This planet is a beautiful one indeed.
I think there was possibly way too much light polution for the naked eye but if I'd known that a potential viewing was on offer I'd have taken the bike out round the coast away from the city lights.

I did some Arctic Survival Training back in my RAF days and we did 3 nights in the Arctic Circle, the lights were amazing. Due to the snow being so untouched they light up the sky and your surroundings, it was unbelievable.

My partner has seen them in Iceland and here the other month. She said they weren't colourful in Iceland either but the ones she saw did dance around the sky a lot more.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back