November 5th 1989

Remember being disappointed not to see Peter Beagrie do a somasault celebration, given it was his effort that ended in the net.
With age I concede it wasn’t the time nor the place

I’ve always enjoyed the thought of playing for Everton, and after scoring a consolation goal in a 7-1 defeat, over-celebrating, i.e. - swinging my shirt around my head and cupping my ear to the opposition supporters. The most tone deaf celebration imaginable, it’d be brilliant.

I’ve always enjoyed the thought of playing for Everton, and after scoring a consolation goal in a 7-1 defeat, over-celebrating, i.e. - swinging my shirt around my head and cupping my ear to the opposition supporters. The most tone deaf celebration imaginable, it’d be brilliant.

I was getting heavily beaten at Anfield on FC24 when Dwight McNeil scored a late consolation - and celebrated by lounging full length on the advert boards at the bottom of the kop, facing their fans.

Jesus things are bad enough as it is, and here i go starting a thread about one of the worst results in our history!lol

I see that evening as the moment that marked the ending of good Everton and the start of crap Everton.

Kenwright arrived on the board of directors around the same time as well sadly!😢
I remember it vividly. I have been supporting Everton since 1980, and I generally only remember the great wins, cup finals, and major matches. Let's face it, we have lots to forget over the last 44 years. But that defeat really sticks out. It's one of those that seemed as profound as a cup final defeat at the time. It felt seismic. In some ways, you can trace the Everton 80s era of success back to the Aston Villa League Cup semi-final in 1984, which was the first time in my supporting life where we had actually achieved something: a Wembley cup final appearance. It started with Villa (rather than Kevin Brock) and ended with Villa.

Was at this game, travelled everywhere with Everton back then. I know it's on youtube, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to watch it again, even after all this time! I remember how small the crowd was (a regular occurence everywhere back then, even at Liverpool and Man Utd), though I also remember we had a decent enough sized following there, though nowhere near enough to fill the Witton End which we'd done quite regularly in previous seasons, especially 1987 when we took the place over! One thing I have to admit, the day before I'd gone to Anfield to watch Liverpool v Coventry with a couple of mates of mine, and Coventry surprised them 1-0 thanks to big Cyrille Regis. I didn't say anything to my mates, but I remember walking out feeling smug at the thought of us going top of the table the next day.......