"Obstructed Views"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpys top lip

Player Valuation: £60m
Wednesday 30 January 2008
"Obstructed Views" mean nothing
on Wednesday 30 January 2008 - 07:03:33 | by Blue-Blogger
Last season I had the great pleasure of taking a number of overseas visitors to Goodison Park. On one occassion, a young American Evertonian made his first visit to watch Everton against Arsenal, and with it being a bit of a premium fixture, we got tickets in the Bullens Road Stand.

When we arrived, I immediately apologised for the poor seats. They were sold as unobstructed views by Ticketmaster - although when they arrived they did have "Obstructed View" written in big bold letters on them. But enough of Ticketmaster staff being unable to read.

It was like watching the game through a letterbox, with a post in the middle. When the ball was kicked long, at the top of it's travelling arch it was invisible to us, as was the scoreboard.

We did, however, get to see Manuel Fernandes make complete and utter fools of the majority of the Arsenal midfield, whenever he felt like it. We also got to celebrate with Andy Johnson as he ran into the crowd directly infront of us, and we celebrated a famous victory over Arsenal in the hail the same as everyone else.

Ask our visitor what he remembers of the visit, and it's not the view, it's not that he couldn't see the birthday messages for people he didn't know, or that he couldn't keep count of the goal tally, or look at his watch to see how long was left. His memory is of the atmosphere, the sheer elation when Andy Johnson scored, and the feeling that goes with an Everton win.

He has been to major American sports events but was amazed at the atmosphere generated by the Goodison crowd. He has sat in comfortable cushioned seats and watched men in far too much padding waddle around in a passion-less contest, he has also sat on a wooden seat unable to see the score board. Guess where he'd rather be?

An obstructed view only detracts from the viewing pleasure if what you are watching is painful to watch anyway. Why else do fans buy these views in their thousands for a Carling Cup semi final? You'll never find a single Evertonian who will tell you the Bayern Munich game in 1985 was "crap cos of the view lad."

That about says it all.

Thought you might like to read. This is why i love everton so much.

the curry will wait, i have had a sandwich.

Wednesday 30 January 2008
"Obstructed Views" mean nothing
on Wednesday 30 January 2008 - 07:03:33 | by Blue-Blogger
Last season I had the great pleasure of taking a number of overseas visitors to Goodison Park. On one occassion, a young American Evertonian made his first visit to watch Everton against Arsenal, and with it being a bit of a premium fixture, we got tickets in the Bullens Road Stand.

When we arrived, I immediately apologised for the poor seats. They were sold as unobstructed views by Ticketmaster - although when they arrived they did have "Obstructed View" written in big bold letters on them. But enough of Ticketmaster staff being unable to read.

It was like watching the game through a letterbox, with a post in the middle. When the ball was kicked long, at the top of it's travelling arch it was invisible to us, as was the scoreboard.

We did, however, get to see Manuel Fernandes make complete and utter fools of the majority of the Arsenal midfield, whenever he felt like it. We also got to celebrate with Andy Johnson as he ran into the crowd directly infront of us, and we celebrated a famous victory over Arsenal in the hail the same as everyone else.

So at least they got a clear view of the actual goal (lucky them) and (an 'and', well i never) AJ ran over to them to celebrate - how very fortunate.

Ask our visitor what he remembers of the visit, and it's not the view, it's not that he couldn't see the birthday messages for people he didn't know, or that he couldn't keep count of the goal tally, or look at his watch to see how long was left. His memory is of the atmosphere, the sheer elation when Andy Johnson scored, and the feeling that goes with an Everton win.

Ask him if his experience would have been heightened (dare i say better if not ''the best'') had he been able to view the entirety of the game, been able to understand the tactics and positioning, to appreciate the precision passing and ability on the ball on the ground as well as in the air.

I wonder if everton had lost that it would have compounded the anticlimax of a negative result coupled with a sombre atmosphere.

He has been to major American sports events but was amazed at the atmosphere generated by the Goodison crowd. He has sat in comfortable cushioned seats and watched men in far too much padding waddle around in a passion-less contest, he has also sat on a wooden seat unable to see the score board. Guess where he'd rather be?

Anyone who is bothered enough to know, i dont give a flying fuckpile about american football, they can keep it. and comparison is thereby null and void. as for the scoreboard, anyone not able to keep score in a football match needs to go back to primary school, its hardly snooker. with regards facilities at goodison, if it was to be built exactly the same today it would be an illegal construction because wouldnt comply with certain laws regards crowd dynamics, exits, toilet facilities and the changing ergonomics of the average human being.

An obstructed view only detracts from the viewing pleasure if what you are watching is painful to watch anyway. Why else do fans buy these views in their thousands for a Carling Cup semi final? You'll never find a single Evertonian who will tell you the Bayern Munich game in 1985 was "crap cos of the view lad."

that 'only' deserves to be a bit bigger dont you think, consider the poor bastards that didnt get to SEE the goal being scored, and couldnt SEE johnson and the team celebrate. the supporters go along to watch the game, if they didnt they could stand at the bullens and parkend gate and absorb the atmosphere there for free.

'viewing pleasure' and painful to watch are 'red herrings', surely the opinion is in the EYE of the beholder, to make ones own mind up. Why do fans flock to get hold of such pathetic views? because those tickets will mean aa much better chance of a ticket to the final at wembley which has no obstructed views.

As for bayern munich, everton won that night, and you guessed it, ticket stubs that night meant a better chance of a ticket for rotterdam.

That about says it all.

Thought you might like to read. This is why i love everton so much.

Goodison is holding Everton football club back, in terms of supporter experience and in terms of finance. I wonder what the choice is between staying at goodison with no superstar players and manager or another stadium that befits the stature and ambition of the club with the crest.

(also notable that no mention of the facilities was made, i suspect because the single outlet for lager had a queue a mile long so a half time warm pint wasnt available, hence no need for a leak in the woefully inadequate toilets either)

I'd never thought i'd see the day at Goodison was being more or less called a shithole by Everton fans.

i hate not being able to see the action and it does detract from my match day experience. after being brought up watching footy at goodison from various stands i remember being jealous of 'boro fans (!) the season i watched them play with every seat having superb views in the stadium.

the stadium was bland to look at, but for watching the action on the pitch it was great. it really was a novilty to see the whole pitch without a stupid post or three always in the way of the game going on.

If you take his argument to the logical extreme then we could be lying on the floor with blokes pouring boiling oil on us and the atmosphere would make it all okay. I don't want to move to Kirkby; that doesn't mean I am blind to the deficiencies of Goodison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back