Old Everton Pictures

Memories of Cliff Marshall, who we lost earlier this season - our first Black player, a winger -

1652112957722.png

Four solid defenders. Two great defenders. Just wondered what the great Brian Labone would have thought playing alongside Keane or Holgate?
Hypothetical I know. But surely Labone and especially Catterick would have not put up with their mistakes.
We need better for next season. Or it's just going to be the same old nonsense as this season.
I suspect Labby would have made them both better defenders. He was not only a great leader but had a calming influence on his fellow defenders - we missed him when he was forced to retire!

Whether the Catt would have signed them in the first place is another matter!

I suspect Labby would have made them both better defenders. He was not only a great leader but had a calming influence on his fellow defenders - we missed him when he was forced to retire!

Whether the Catt would have signed them in the first place is another matter!
Keane and Holgate played ok on sunday. So I suppose I shouldn't be too critical of them. But it's just a wee thing me and my football mad friends often talk about. How would modern players have fared back in the day. And visa- versa.
For example I've recently had a conversation on how much George Best would be worth today.
And being an Evertonian , I started a great conversation on how many goals the great Dixie Dean would score in the modern game....
You see nothing much has changed with me since spending a mis- spent youth on all things football. It's now a mis- spent retirement on all things football. Especially Everton........Up the Toffees....

Memories of Cliff Marshall, who we lost earlier this season - our first Black player, a winger -

View attachment 164909
as a teenager, I remember and collected team photos with Cliff Marshall. I did actually wonder at the time why Everton had no black footballers. I do of course remember all the abuse aimed at black players back then. That thinking was never in my upbringing or thinking. Just was not there.
But I did wonder at times if Everton had some agenda. Apologies if that was not the case.
Anyhow.....Just a wee question. Cliff Marshall was out first black footballer. But who was our second. Who was the first black player with Everton to get a proper run of matches. I'm thinking Yobo or The Yak.
But that was years after Cliff Marshall. I really don't know.

as a teenager, I remember and collected team photos with Cliff Marshall. I did actually wonder at the time why Everton had no black footballers. I do of course remember all the abuse aimed at black players back then. That thinking was never in my upbringing or thinking. Just was not there.
But I did wonder at times if Everton had some agenda. Apologies if that was not the case.
Anyhow.....Just a wee question. Cliff Marshall was out first black footballer. But who was our second. Who was the first black player with Everton to get a proper run of matches. I'm thinking Yobo or The Yak.
But that was years after Cliff Marshall. I really don't know.
Amo wasn't it?

View attachment 164909
But that was years after Cliff Marshall. I really don't know
Amo wasn't it?
Think that you are right. About 20 years after Cliff Marshall. Yep....I think that you are spot on....

But that was years after Cliff Marshall. I really don't know

Think that you are right. About 20 years after Cliff Marshall. Yep....I think that you are spot on....
I remember us going in for Mark "Everton" Walters but lost out to Rangers or possibly Liverpool I can't recall.