Old Everton Pictures

Belfitt did score other goals and, whilst I agree he was not great, he scored more goals for us than a certain centre forward signed by the Spanish waiter.

1) 1885 13.01.73 Belfitt v Villa (H) FA CUP - Rod Belfitt scores past Aston Villa keeper, Jim Coombes in the FA Cup

2) 1894 03.04.73 Belfitt v Norwich (H) Rod Belfitt receives a back header from Joe Harper and scores against Norwich with a cracking cross shot (Sorry my file is too large to upload so my computer tells me)l

1885 13.01.73 Belfitt v Villa (H) FA CUP - FIRST IN SEQUENCE - Rod Belfitt scores past Aston V...jpg

Belfitt did score other goals and, whilst I agree he was not great, he scored more goals for us than a certain centre forward signed by the Spanish waiter.

1) 1885 13.01.73 Belfitt v Villa (H) FA CUP - Rod Belfitt scores past Aston Villa keeper, Jim Coombes in the FA Cup

2) 1894 03.04.73 Belfitt v Norwich (H) Rod Belfitt receives a back header from Joe Harper and scores against Norwich with a cracking cross shot (Sorry my file is too large to upload so my computer tells me)l

View attachment 170950
For the price & the loss of a young up & coming David Johnson he was a disastrous signing for big money to boot lasted not very long he was that poor -

During my lunch break (yesterday & today) I got round to watching the 1963 Charity Shield, which I believe was the first ever live game involving us (that wasn’t the FA Cup). Both teams are definitely going for this and you can see how Everton wanted to show we were still the team to beat.

Some thoughts on a completely dominant performance vs a team that featured greats such as Charlton, Law and Johnny Giles.

Gabriel and Stevens joining the attack so often from midfield is great to see. Temple- always running with the ball, willing to take on his man, Scott too on the other flank, but Scott seems to play the simple ball more often.

The reference to Tony Kay’s new nickname “Cassius Kay” :D

The GV’s touch and penchant for coming deep to receive the ball (good to see the impact Hungary’s hammering of England 10 years earlier, had on the role of the forward player in our national game)

But the star of the show is Roy Vernon- wow, I’ve only ever seen brief highlights/goals before but what an amazing repertoire of skills. I know many people of that time (including himself) compared him with Greaves and Law but I see a lot of Bobby Charlton in him-- great running with the ball at pace (complete with the body swerve, like Charlton), a fierce shot, great vision and passing ability. A real diamond of a player.

I made a screenshot below (y'know, so it fitted in with this thread ;-). Here’s Roy (circled) about to pick out Dennis Stevens (also circled)…with a ball that reaches Dennis on the edge of the Utd box. A vintage pass, complete with superb midfield running and a cool finish. Tremendous stuff.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 43