Old / New Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSB1

Player Valuation: £8m
Just looked at a photo posted by @alan ball showing the old main stand. (Thanks to Alan and @Joey66 & others for keeping us aware of our history.)

I can remember my first game back in'62 ... walked half the length of Scotty with my dad almost wetting myself with excitement. Getting into Goodison Road and then into that stand and the roar from the thousands standing underneath. Asking my dad who this or that player was, "That's Alex", "He's Denis Law". It was a night match and we won well with 2 from Alex. I think there were about 70,000 there and the roar split the night. I was an Evertonian before I ever went near the place but that night night, I fell in love. Head over heels in love and I couldn't stop talking about it all the following week.

I wasn't just in love, I also became a drug addict ... I couldn't get enough of the buzz of the place & it was intoxicating: we had one hell of a team in that season and (with a couple of blips) throughout the 60's. Youngy's reputation grew and he became the Golden Ghost, the Vision. At school, on the street, we'd always be shouting, "What's our name" ...

My biggest wish now is that a new generation of young'uns have the chance of experiencing the real Everton and that players like James and DCL give them the bug that I caught. That they can say to their Red mates, "Yeah, so and so isn't bad. But he's not James, is he?"

And when that dreadful / wonderful day comes that we leave Goodison, we do it on the biggest high we've had in too many long, cold years.

So what are your memories and hopes?

...I reckon @PSB1 and I are about the same age as my first experience of Goodison was about the same time. I have no idea of my first game, so my memory is more general.

Saturday’s were perfect, playing for the school team every morning and then off to Goodison. My Dad and Uncles always had a pre-match drink in the Supporters Club on City Road and then we went into Upper Gwladys St. Run up that high first set of stairs, then the excitement of those few wooden steps and the sudden view of the pitch and stands in all their glory.

Nothing like that sight. The most recent time as an old fella still feels the same as the first as a kid.

Great Post.
A memory i would have have is 85ish down at the Dell. Stood in the away end behind Shilton in goal. We had a corner, it was cleared - a good powerful cleared header upfield. A moment of disappointment. Then elation. Someone (Trevor Steven im told) with an almighty volley from outside the box hammered it in.

I remember the net bulging, I remember the elation if the crowd , I remember all the people around me talking about how good a goal it was, what a shot, goal of the month etc.

I remember the player, the strike, the flight of the ball ALL being obscured by the ruddy post! :((n)

Yeah 62 / 63 team is about as far as I can go back in my memory what a team of heroes they were to a young kid. Lots of other good memories over the years, the ‘66 Cup Final, the marvellous 69/70 team , European nights , the 80s . I guess we slightly older folk have been lucky with what we saw back then, hopefully younger guys can see some great teams and trophies too.

As someone born in 91, I've never known anything but consistent disappointment and crap tbh.

The Fiorentina game at Goodison pretty much sums us up in that time period. So hungry for it, so deserving of it, cruelly denied at the death.

That game and the FA Cup replay against them at our place are my favourite memories of Goodoson though I'd say. Pure, dirty passion!

Just looked at a photo posted by @alan ball showing the old main stand. (Thanks to Alan and @Joey66 & others for keeping us aware of our history.)

I can remember my first game back in'62 ... walked half the length of Scotty with my dad almost wetting myself with excitement. Getting into Goodison Road and then into that stand and the roar from the thousands standing underneath. Asking my dad who this or that player was, "That's Alex", "He's Denis Law". It was a night match and we won well with 2 from Alex. I think there were about 70,000 there and the roar split the night. I was an Evertonian before I ever went near the place but that night night, I fell in love. Head over heels in love and I couldn't stop talking about it all the following week.

I wasn't just in love, I also became a drug addict ... I couldn't get enough of the buzz of the place & it was intoxicating: we had one hell of a team in that season and (with a couple of blips) throughout the 60's. Youngy's reputation grew and he became the Golden Ghost, the Vision. At school, on the street, we'd always be shouting, "What's our name" ...

My biggest wish now is that a new generation of young'uns have the chance of experiencing the real Everton and that players like James and DCL give them the bug that I caught. That they can say to their Red mates, "Yeah, so and so isn't bad. But he's not James, is he?"

And when that dreadful / wonderful day comes that we leave Goodison, we do it on the biggest high we've had in too many long, cold years.

So what are your memories and hopes?

I started going a couple of years earlier, and for me with Ancelloti backed up by Moshiri this feels just like it did back in early 1960’s. Like you, I’ve seen us win the League 4 times, and I pray to god that some of our younger fans get to experience what we did. I also want to see us pick up another 4 or 5 league titles.....

...I reckon @PSB1 and I are about the same age as my first experience of Goodison was about the same time. I have no idea of my first game, so my memory is more general.

Saturday’s were perfect, playing for the school team every morning and then off to Goodison. My Dad and Uncles always had a pre-match drink in the Supporters Club on City Road and then we went into Upper Gwladys St. Run up that high first set of stairs, then the excitement of those few wooden steps and the sudden view of the pitch and stands in all their glory.

Nothing like that sight. The most recent time as an old fella still feels the same as the first as a kid.
Like you eggs I can't remember my first home game just my first away game as it was like a scene out of the GV film play it was early as 1962/63 season my late father made me born a blue I had a scrapbook at the age of five which he helped me to make .....In a big Ford transit he and his fellow mates who were miners like him myself & older brother sat on beer crates in the back of the van at least 8 of us to visit Burden park Bolton we won 2-0, but my memories were of the blue fans behind that goal as I sat on a crash barrier in my late fathers hands .....
As I got older travelling away those away supporters never let the side down always tremendous support - Wolves was my favourite ground their big open ended spoon Kop boy the noise we made their was incredible......
On of my brothers mates who was 18 yrs old chatted a young girl wolves programme seller, never seen the game - he was Dougan mad .....I tracked him down as now a Wolves supporter with five boys ......I can guess it was love at first sight ....He was not on the coach on the way home .....Everton that .... lol
He lives on the outskirts of Liverpool I am adding 2 plus 2 but ptrtty sure it's what happened as he was my older brothers mate ......also that day I was sat on a pub bar with a bottle of lemonade crisp while the lads had a few jars before the game - we won 3-2 .......
The ale must have got to him as he would never support Wolves as he does now.......he was a real blue back then...... lol

So many to choose from like the Benfica match that we played crap in and when I got home it was 4 am. Or that time Arsenal ripped us a new one because Lescott decided to down tools and the coach full of Blues back was like attending a funeral for the whole 5 hour journey. Ahh Great times.

I've seen some wins (though my win percentage is in the Mike Walker territory :( ) and there is nothing better than a rocking Goodison when we win but from a personal point I will miss Goodison, but not for the actual games I have been there to watch if that makes sense. The experience has mostly always been superb but the performances and results no.

If I was to choose my best game so far was the 3-1 win against a good utd side where Rodwell capped it off. I'm hoping I get to go see us win a derby/important cup game before we move.

Think it was about 68. Playing in the street and my grandad came walking down the road. Come on son get ready I've got tickets for the match tonight. I was ecstatic. Tranmere in the cup at Goodison. Can't remember much about it think we where in the upper Gwladys but what I can remember where the lights shining on the pitch and how green it was. There was no feeling like it at the time and when I'm walking up to Goodison even now I get that tingle. Some great memories, some not so good. But the one I always talk about is the Bayern game. Just can't describe it. Magic, whole lorra magic.

Outside of family stuff, my best and favourite memories just about all revolve around Everton and Goodison Park! First game, age 6 Everton v Blackpool reserves, as @Sharpies volley has already said I also couldn’t believe how green the grass was! Wembley 1968 as an 8 year old wasn’t great! The West Brom game to win the league in 1970 was my second favourite night, at Goodison - favourite was the Bayern Munich semi final, what a flippin’ night that was! Loads of great memories of following the team all over the country in the late 70’s and through the 80’s! I could go on and on!

As for hopes as asked by @PSB1, simply that my lad who is now 27 gets to experience some of that success and creates the same sort of positive/great memories from following Carlo’s soon to be successful team ;) ;) ;) !

1963 season for me,, my dad and elder brother had been going for a couple of seasons, he finally relented and took me with them for a night game at Goodison, I think it was Birmingham but can't be sure.
I have that perfect moment etched into my brain of walking up the stairs and then the pitch comes into view, how green and bright it is on a dark cold winters night.
I still get the same feeling as I go to my seat to this day, unfortunately, due to bad health I haven't been for a couple of seasons, but that will change asap.
This thread is a lesson for you younger lads, don't ever let anyone talk about big clubs without including Everton, look how many of us are still alive and kicking and able to work a computer and I have seen 4 x championships (premier division) 3 x Fa cups, European trophy.
Take no crap from the Johnny come lately's, we are EVERTON FC

My first game was in 1958 when I walked up the stairs, seen the ground under the floodlights and it took my breath away.We played Preston that night and my recolection was we got beat 4-1 and Tom Finney was playing for them.I think we were managerless at that time , Cliff Brittan had been fired and we were not doing well. Then in came Johny Carey , and he started the process of building us up into a class football team , which Cattrick finished off with the league title in 1963. Great team great memories and as someone said in a previous post, I hope the younger elements of our club can now see the building of a class act like I did.Work in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.