Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Oumar Niasse

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll have to agree to disagree, although I'm not attempting to overtly criticise the club as you (and your fans) may suggest.

Rather, I am merely attempting to discuss this individual deal in the context of how I see it: we've bought something which is still not available.

If that occurred in a non-footballing circumstance, for example in a business and an acquisition, there would be questions raised regarding it.

Justified criticism? Nope, that's unfair as there are mitigating circumstances and the long term impact of the deal cannot yet be judged.

Hopefully he may be worth waiting for and I sincerely hope he makes a great impact! But concerned questioning? I'd say that's fair.

Phil dont ruin it. Ive enjoyed you and Ive told you so.

Criticising this signing is a bit weird. Hes not been quite match ready which is fine as he hasnt played a lot of football, hes adjusting to his surroundings and by all accounts has a bit of an injury. No biggy.

The club wanted him and to beat other clubs to the punch made it happen.

Im looking forward to seeing what he can do.

As I said I was being slightly hyperbolic with regards to Traoré and focusing on the short-term, so obviously in the long-term it's unfair to judge.

Yet, it still doesn't mean people aren't entitled to some extent be frustrated that a player we've signed may not be available before March.

Knowing about the winter break could we not have looked at the deal slightly earlier? Could prior discussions have alleviated the fitness problems?

The questions are clearly rhetorical and while I'm confident he'll make a positive impact in the long term, but it still raises a few issues.

Saying he's been on a winter break is a component of the issue but not an excuse; with some forward planning it could have been a smaller issue.

That's why I remarked about our forward thinking...

33zg3mx.gif

Hes had the
Is this a wrist injury he came with, or something that happened since, and if the latter, how?

I ask because we were told the reason he couldn't play was because the paperwork wasn't complete and that he wasn't match fit.

I assume the visa/work permit is in place, so is he still not match fit, or injured? Or both?

He has had the injury for a while now. Also, the official line from the club has always been about match fitness, now it is also recovery from an operation that he has had, both kind of go together here. AFAIK the only place I saw the mention of ongoing paperwork issues was on some twitter accounts where they pretend to be ITK to get likes, re-tweets and followers.

Patience man, hes only three weeks into a potential five or more year career with us. Chill your boots.

@chicoazul I agree with the majority of your points and I am actually not critical that we've signed him, if that's how it has appeared.

Rather, I am just frustrated that, for whatever reason, he still isn't available when in the short-term we're currently a bit on the short side.

That's not Niasse's fault nor am I criticising his signing, but Rom looks to be jaded (or working off an injury) and Koné is just... well Koné.

Maybe the deal couldn't have been completed earlier... maybe his fitness concerns couldn't have been resolved earlier... we don't actually know.

Simply I was posing some questions. As I've said I hope he'll have a long, prosperous career here... just hopefully it starts sooner rather than later.

Not really. 13 million doesn't seem such a lot of money when you look at what we got for Naisy.
Nor does it when you consider Jordan Rhodes went from one Championship side to another for £9m and Ross McCormack went for £11m.

I think we all believed that £8m for Naismith was a deal too good to turn down (considering his age etc), but for a proven PL striker it looks fair.

We'll only know if £13m for Niasse is a fair price once we've seen him play for a period of time, yet originally it appears a reasonable price.

Soz Phil but there has been no case made for criticism of signing him so far.

Martinez said they had been tracking him for a while and moved quickly when they heard he was available so that would suggest he wasn't available much earlier than they got him.

He's on a winter break so is essentially in pre season in terms of fitness. We have Lukaku up front so there's no urgency to rush him in.

We signed him for four and a half years and not on loan so he will have plenty of time for impact.

To be fair to the player it is right to introduce him to the toughest league he has played in when the manager and coaching team think he's ready.

For all those simple facts above anyone criticising him not being involved less than three weeks after signing him is just plain silly.
How long did it take Martinez to play Del in his first season while he accustomed himself to the league. Sometimes you're better off waiting than rushing in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back