Our defence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worst defence in the league by a mile. Any defence that concedes 7 goals in 2 games against bang average teams mostly from mistakes and set pieces is going to be in big trouble unless they sort it out fast. Add to that the holographic mid field and only having one reliable striker who is injured and the pieces are all in place for an absolutely disastrous season. Only thing that can save us is having a fantastic January window but given our transfer history that seems highly unlikely too.

Man i have become a proper doom and gloom merchant, soz about that.

Mina is the best but injured way too often.
Keane is not good enough.
Godfrey has potential but is raw and he keeps getting shifted around.
Holgate isn’t good enough and needs moving on.

Godfrey.
Holgate.
Keane.
Mina.

All considered - are any of these good enough long term?

Would they any get in another other team in the top 10 of the league?

View attachment 144576

Theres the 5th player in the photo and I was impressed with Branthwaite when he came in during Ancelottis first season in a back 4.

Holgate: I dont know if its because hes in/out of the team and/or been played in multiple positions but whatever there was to build upon seems to have disintegrated.

Keane: He's like white dog poop. You used to see it back in the 80s/90s but these days its very rare. Big oaf with no pace, cant turn, 50p head, afraid to commit, poor positioning and frightened of the opposition.

Mina: Class, but these injuries dont just reflect on him but also how bad we are without him. If we had the depth of Man United then we keep him as he has the 'star' quality at centre back but where we are, we need starting players.

Godfrey: Looked class under Ancelotti, had covid and looks dreadful under a manager who cant setup a defence.

The two I keep are Branthwaite (should have been given more opportunities) and Godfrey...i also keep Mina if we can extend his contract. If not then we need to sell him along with Holgate and Keane.

It’s the manager mate, that exact back four kept a lot of clean sheets together last season.

Theres no doubt about it that Benitez sets up a defence worse than Silva and Martinez.

Keane should have been launched out of a cannon 3 years ago, He's absolute dog muck.

100%

Helps if a manager can organise them like

100%

Everyone on here knows we have needed another right back since Seamus got his leg snapped in two playing for Ireland 4 years ago, and everyone also knows that JJK is not the answer!
Everyone on here knows it was sheer lunacy to let both Small and Nkounkou go this summer, leaving only Digne as a “fit” left back, and Everton being Everton guess what he’s not fit!
Seems to me virtually the only person who hadn’t twigged this might be an issue at some point is a certain Mr Brands who is paid a shed load of dosh to oversee player recruitment and who unbelievably now sits on the Board of Everton Football club :rant: !

Would be interesting to see Benitez' notes on which defenders he wants to keep in the January window.

We really need to make moves then or risk the whole season falling apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.