Pele at Goodison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was there...in the Park End.Pele and Eusebio both got hacked down early on , but just got up and played When the Koreans(?) scored against Portugal, Eusebio picked the ball out of the net and sprinted to the centre spotready to kick off.
Saw all the group games at Goodison that summer , Ferenc Bene, Coluna and Tores were another 3 great players at Goodison in the group stages. Jesus I've seen some great players at Goodison over the years.

Saw all the group games at Goodison that summer , Ferenc Bene, Coluna and Tores were another 3 great players at Goodison in the group stages. Jesus I've seen some great players at Goodison over the years.
Me to....Do you remember Benes goal in the first game(I think) running along the edge of the area the letting fly?
And who was the little Brazilian winger...was it Garrincha? Memory distorted 55 years later!

Berti Vögts, Gunter Netzer, Jupp Heynckes, Jean-Marie Pfaff, Klaus Augenthaler, Soren Lerby, Lothar Matthaus...Tommy Eglinton, Peter Farrell

Me to....Do you remember Benes goal in the first game(I think) running along the edge of the area the letting fly?
And who was the little Brazilian winger...was it Garrincha? Memory distorted 55 years later!

Yes. Garrincha ... the Little Bird. Much loved by Brazilians for his charitable work despite a drink problem which crippled him in later life.

I saw nearly all those games at Goodison - utterly magical performances from Bene, Albert, Eusebio, North Korea in the first half to go three up against Portiugal and lose 5-3 to Portugal in the second half.

I had a programme from that match Brazil v Portugal with , allegedly, Pele’s and Eusebio’s autographs on the centre page team sheet. I swapped it for a pair of football boots which were too small for me. At the time I saved programmes and autographs, I never did find out if they were genuine autographs, but I was happy enough. It disappeared years later when I moved away from home.
Similar story with me,my first season ticket in the main stand so I got all the vouchers for all the World Cup games,then got one for the final. Had them all,ticket stubs in the envelope the programs and a picture of Pele my Dad got from a photographer who was using the top floor of the Winslow to develop them. Left the who package with my nephew when I went travelling,he went and joined the Marines,they ended up god knows where. Odd thing was that my Dad took me to Wembley and he got a face value ticket outside the tube station,there seemed to be plenty around.

Remember the goal. Steve, he was about 5 yards out from thr goal line and just inside the penalty area, you could never score from that angle. He did though.

A story I've told before on here, and on the old Kipper site....after the games at GP myself and two mates, both Evertonians, went to Lech in Austria on holiday. We missed the semis but walking through what was then a small village(now its a large ski resort!) we met a group of German guys who told us that they knew a bar that had a TV....quite unusual in those days and we agreed to meet them there to watch the final.,losers buy the beer. It was later that we realised that there were 12 of them and only 3 of us !! It was also the last full day of our holiday and we were pretty skint!. Anyway, we met up and watched the game,great atmosphere, very friendly(You couldn't do that today) but thank God we won...it would have been a bit of a difficulty if Germany had won !!! That year England won the World Cup and Everton won the FA Cup...the night of Evertons win I met a girl in a club in town,my first words to her were 'Great that the blues won the Cup! and she replied that she was secretary of the football team at Old Swan Tech. WE've been married 50 years next year !!

Status
Not open for further replies.