Penalty Shootouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Jones

Player Valuation: £35m
There was an interesting letter in a Melbourne paper yesterday from a man suggesting having the penalties taken before knockout matches.

Then you go on to the 90 minute match and then apply the PS after a draw without the extra 30 minutes.

Now, I get nervous even in matches when I don't really care who wins, but I can see the attraction and there are many who love them.

This way, you get one in every match. What do you think?

There was an interesting letter in a Melbourne paper yesterday from a man suggesting having the penalties taken before knockout matches.

Then you go on to the 90 minute match and then apply the PS after a draw without the extra 30 minutes.

Now, I get nervous even in matches when I don't really care who wins, but I can see the attraction and there are many who love them.

Do them at the end of 90 minutes. That way one side knows they need to play in extra time.

Although I'd test that in a smaller comp first.

Or just have penalties at the end of 90 minutes, same difference other than pointlessly having a shootout before the game that may not even end in a draw.

Or just have penalties at the end of 90 minutes, same difference other than pointlessly having a shootout before the game that may not even end in a draw.

That's how they do it in the Copa. I kinda like the way it is now. I like the extra time drama and the ensuing drama of a shootout.

Knowing the result of the PKs prior to kicking off the 90 would change the mentalities of both teams and I'm not sure for the better.

That's how they do it in the Copa. I kinda like the way it is now. I like the extra time drama and the ensuing drama of a shootout.

Knowing the result of the PKs prior to kicking off the 90 would change the mentalities of both teams and I'm not sure for the better.
Exactly, It could mean the team winning the shootout prior to kickoff parking the bus going for a draw or especially if they went one goal up knowing the opposition need 2 to go through. In the same way I'm glad the away goal rule is getting scrapped in european ties.

Sudden death shootouts are nerve wracking affairs and I think spoil the entertainment of the spectacle for the supporters of the competing clubs. Extra time is often tedious - I'd prefer a Golden Goal - and is physically draining.

Pre-match shootouts in every knockout match would take out the unpleasant nerve and add a permanent new level of entertainment.

Exactly, It could mean the team winning the shootout prior to kickoff parking the bus going for a draw or especially if they went one goal up knowing the opposition need 2 to go through. In the same way I'm glad the away goal rule is getting scrapped in european ties.
Parking the bus for 90 minutes would be very risky and the team losing the shootout would have to go for it.

Sudden death shootouts are nerve wracking affairs and I think spoil the entertainment of the spectacle for the supporters of the competing clubs. Extra time is often tedious - I'd prefer a Golden Goal - and is physically draining.

Pre-match shootouts in every knockout match would take out the unpleasant nerve and add a permanent new level of entertainment.

But the nerves are part of the reason I love the sport.

If it weren't for injuries, I'd say infinite 15 minute periods and Golden Goal. It might be possible to add subs every period, so that it becomes a test of depth and mitigates the injuries.

I enjoy the shootouts, but they're no way to settle a tie. The problem is that the team with the better goalkeeper just refuses to take risks.

If it weren't for injuries, I'd say infinite 15 minute periods and Golden Goal. It might be possible to add subs every period, so that it becomes a test of depth and mitigates the injuries.

I enjoy the shootouts, but they're no way to settle a tie. The problem is that the team with the better goalkeeper just refuses to take risks.
Or the team with the better penalty takers on the bench to bring them on in the final minute of extra time refuses to take the risks:oops::pint2:

Daft idea.

The team that wins the pre game shoot out coukd park the bus and go for the draw.

Then there is the issue Rashford and Sanchez faced the other night….the players taking the penalties would be “cold” as there wasn’t even a game to get attuned to.

Nowt wrong with the shoot out situation as it is now.

Plenty of us on here remember how drawn European ties were decided before penalties.

Tossing a bloomin’ coin :oops:

I haven’t seen any stats to back this up but my recollection of golden goals is of both teams shutting up shop, preferring to take their chances with pennoes rather than lose out to a golden goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.